Author Topic: Those nasty anal glands  (Read 5084 times)

Offline pwhite48

• Site Member
Those nasty anal glands
« on: October 19, 2003, 02:03:19 PM »
Not a pleasant subject ;D, I know, but can anal glands be dealt with at home, or does it need to be done by a vet?

Also, I've heard that they are more of a problem on docked cockers as opposed to undocked - is this true?

Finally, how much of a problem are they?  DO all cockers have to have them 'sorted out' regularly or are some dogs not a problem?                    
All the best
Phil

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Those nasty anal glands
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2003, 02:56:53 PM »
Blocked anal glands can be a problem for any dog - its not something just Cockers get (whether docked or undocked). There is evidence that modern commercial diets contribute to the problem with many advocates of the natural BARF diet saying that dogs fed this way do not suffer from blocked anal glands. Any owner (if taught the right way to empty the glands) is more than capable of doing the job as & when the need arises (though many prefer not to for obvious reasons ;D) As to how often this needs doing, well it varies -some of our Cockers have never needed it doing & others have it done once in a while. You can also reduce the likelihood of the problem arising by including fibre & fresh fruit & veg in the diet.                    
Jane

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Those nasty anal glands
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2003, 10:04:03 AM »
Jane

Phoebe has had a problem with her glands recently and I am adding Bran to her dry food. What are the best fruit and veg to add to her diet to help with this. I was going to keep her on dry food only but if fruit and veg will help her then I'll adapt her diet.

Prevention is better than cure :)                    
Anita

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Those nasty anal glands
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2003, 02:36:13 PM »
Our gang will happily eat banana, apple, pear, carrot, peas etc & soft fruit when in season - the only things I avoid giving them are grapes & onions (and anything which is too wind producing ;D)                    
Jane

Offline PennyB

Those nasty anal glands
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2003, 03:19:58 PM »
Mine like those charcoal bonios which my trainer suggested might help and so far so good.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline dollar

• Site Member
Those nasty anal glands
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2003, 02:11:55 PM »
Hi,
yes it is problem our Bramble suffered from this complaint and I went to the Vet he emptied them or it  he charged me £7.00 and also showed me how to do it (no thanks)I would rather pay the £7-00.
The vet told me that Spaniels with loose motions are more prone to anul gland complaint than the dog who is rather firm,it would appear that if the dog is firm the anal gland will be drained whilst she or he is straining and this is the natural way,a dog that has loose motions will not drain the natural way.
We feed Bramble on Hero all inclusive and since I have been taking note on her toiletries we have had no more problems.                    
dollar

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Those nasty anal glands
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2003, 07:50:39 PM »
We feed Bramble on Hero all inclusive and since I have been taking note on her toiletries we have had no more problems.
Is this instead of self-catering  ;D

Can just image what your neighbours must think seeing you inspecting her toiletries  ;) ;D                    

Anonymous

Those nasty anal glands
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2003, 08:42:24 PM »
Hi

Indie has had to have her glands emptied once so far, but she is due them again ::), past couple of days we have noticed her scooting again, so its off to the vets for that to be done. Indie is undocked, so I can't see it making much difference to be honest.  Thanks for the tip on the fruit n veg Jane ;)  I shall give her a try on that, she is fed on a natural diet, but I guess any extra will help.  Her "doings" are of a firm nature, so I would doubt if the "texture" of the "doing" makes any difference either ::)  Maybe its just luck of the drawer ;)

I will asky my vet to show me how to do it, BUT I don't know whether I could do it :- I would be scared of hurting her :o

Emma and Indie                    

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
Those nasty anal glands
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2003, 10:54:35 AM »
I've got to agree with Emma there - Lolly has recently had her anal glands emptied by our vet and she is still having problems. It surprised me as my others (who are all fed the same way) have never had problems.  Lolly always has firm poos and she does have bran added to her complete and grated carrot and likes the odd slice of apple etc   ::)
A friend of mine did tell me that the homeopathic remedy Silica 6c  at the dosage rate of 3 to 5 pellets twice daily for 3 days may help. I have bought some so will try and let you all know. ;D                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Those nasty anal glands
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2003, 06:53:49 PM »
Have been reading the posts about anal glands.  My cocker also has repeated problems even though she is only 18 months old.  My previous cocker who was 13 only had his emptied once !

I note that adding bran is suggested - can anyone let me know how much to add and how often?  

Thanks very much                    
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Anonymous

Those nasty anal glands
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2003, 06:56:42 PM »
Mine like those charcoal bonios which my trainer suggested might help

I searched high n low for these today, but managed to find some in the end ;D

Emma and Indie                    

Offline dollar

• Site Member
Those nasty anal glands
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2003, 08:28:31 PM »
:P
I also use those doggie biscuits but Bramble being a Princess is reluctant at times to eat them ESPIACALLY IF THERE are DOGGIE CHOCS AVAILABLE.I think they also help with bad breath
Dollar                    
dollar