Author Topic: Poorly girlie (vomitting)  (Read 3740 times)

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Poorly girlie (vomitting)
« on: October 29, 2003, 05:15:27 PM »
Hi Folks,

Millie isn't well.
Last night she was fine - she ate her tea and her evening chew with no problems, in fact she actually ate all of her tea, straight away for the first time in a while. She was a little restless, but we were late home from work and because it was dark and raining she didn't get a walk, although we did have a play and general "mess about" with her and she seemed happy enough.
This morning I got up and let her out of her puppy crate and she was her usual bouncy excitable self. I came downstairs and let her outside to be "clean" and out she went. Now she was longer outside then normal, but I thought nothing of it and went upstairs to have a shower.
When she came upstairs she threw up a vile eggy smelling mess - kinda like egg mayonnaise - of course we were both completely baffled! she hasn't had any egg. We came to the conclusion that a cat or bird had pinched a boiled eggs or similar from a bin (as it was bin day here today) and it had dropped into the garden and Mil had eaten it and it instantly disagreed with her.
Thinking nothing more of it we said goodbye, gave her her kong with gravy bones in and left for work. We came home at lunchtime to 4 puddles of sick, 2 of which were bile-ish  :( and a very very subdued Millie, she barely barked or moved when we came in  :(  :(  :(

Again we thought perhaps it was just the remainder of the nasty eggy thing she'd managed to eat (as there was some of it in one of the puddles). As a test we gave her a crust of dry toast to eat when we left; lo and beholad 3 puddles of nasty sicky bile stuff when we arrived home.

Obviously she is NOT getting any tea this evening - but should I be calling the vet?
Her number 2's seem ok - well the one that is in the garden - not sure if that was last night or this morning prior to sickness though.

In herself she is subdued, still kinda playful, but seems a little larthargic. she is most definately hungry though - but then she is a cocker.
I have done a scout in the garden and found no trace of food, but I did find a "puffball" fungus (I hope you know what I mean!) but it didn't appear disturbed, and is now residing in my bin. I can't see any traces of other fungi though.

any suggestions?

TIA                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2003, 05:20:06 PM »
aaw - poor Millie.

I'd starve her for tonight and just let her have access to water and see how she goes. Obviously if she becomes much worse then call the vet, but it could just be that she's eaten something yucky and it just needs to be got out of her system.

I'd also go out with her to see what if anything she produces ;) just to make sure that's OK.

Poor girl - sounds as if she's feeling really 'icky :'(                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2003, 05:29:29 PM »
Awww poor Millie Kelly  :-
As Pammy says if you starve her tonight and keep an eye on her I'm sure she'll be fine  ;)
Let us know how she is tomorrow.

Gilly                    

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2003, 06:09:49 PM »
Awwww...poor Millie :'(

It must be so hard to starve them (luckily something I haven't yet had to do ;)) but this is obviously what is needed at the present time.  Hope this cures her and that she'll be feeling better tomorrow :)                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2003, 06:25:45 PM »
bless her she keeps coming up to us and putting her paws on us and "smacking" us - then walking away int othe kitchen with sad looks over her shoulder most definately saying "it's my tea time now, come feed me, I'm hungry!"  :'(  :'(
We aven't eaten yet, but she'll probably be worse when we do ... I feel really really mean!  :'(  :'( is there nothing I can give her to eat? not even a milky bone or something light - I feel so cruel and she looks so hurt  :-  :'(                    

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2003, 06:34:22 PM »
Aww poor Millie :(  She must be fed up!  Hope she is feeling better by the morning Kel, I am sure like the others have said its just sommat she has eaten and needs to get out of her system.

Sending her hugs n sloppy kisses from Indie

Emma and Indie                    

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2003, 06:40:32 PM »
another query - whilst I'm panicking and feeling ugilty.
She needs to be starved for 24 hours - but she's fed at night, so the last time she "actually" ate was 24 hours ago - so should I be starving her from 24 hours when she was first sick?  ??? if sothen should I be giving her breakfast? or waiting until tea time tomorrow - which will be 48 hours without food !!! ???  :o  :o or shuold i give her some breakfast - if so what? her normal food (Nutro) or gravy bones as normal  ???

I know I know I proabbly panick too much  :-[  :-[  :-[  :'(                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2003, 06:55:33 PM »
Kelly

I would leave her overnight, then if all looks well, try her with something light, maybe some plain boiled rice and cooked chicken. If she keeps that down then give her her Nutro again with some plain rice tomorrow night.

hth                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2003, 07:00:46 PM »
thanks Pammy  :) I'll bite my lip and stop looking at her face LOL  ;)  :-  :'(                    

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2003, 07:05:58 PM »
Hi  kelly!!! I,m so sorry to hear Millies not  feeling to well. :
 Is is possible she hasnt chewed the chew properly that you gave her last night. ??? its just a thought!!!                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2003, 07:08:48 PM »
Sorry to hear that Millie isnt well Kelly. The fact shes looking for food though is a good sign ;) Brook is always picking up things he shouldn't and he's only ever been really unwell once - he turned his nose up at all food(even his bedtime biscuits ;)) so I knew he had to go to the vet ;D Hopefully she'll feel a lot better in the morning :-*                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2003, 07:26:29 PM »
I hope Millie will be OK by the morning.  I know it is difficult not feeding her but it will be for her own good.  Thinking of you  ;)                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2003, 07:43:53 PM »
Hope she's better by the morning - hang in there Kelly, sounds like Millie is just like Daisy and absolutely lives for her food  ;D As Gill says, that she's hungry and wanting to eat means she's probably had a bug that's passed or whatever she ate that disagreed with her is probably through her system by now. You should take pictures of her most pleading eyes so you can enter them in next year's cybershow  ;D                    

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2003, 08:24:21 PM »
thankyou all for your kind wishes and kisses
I'll let you know how she gets on  :)                    

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2003, 11:26:06 AM »
Good News - Millie is better!  :D

I have to admit that Tristian's resolve dissolved last night and at about 9:30 he gave her a couple of milky bones. She ate them and kept them down, so after about half an hour I boiled her some white rice (just a couple of spoonfuls) which she also polished off in no time at all and kept it down.
So everyone's happy here again - Millie especially!  ;)

She's had some more milky bones this morning and another couple of spoonfuls of boiled rice - currently she is sniffing round the kitchen floor to see if any morsels have been missed  ;)  ;D

Thanks once again everyone  :)  :-*