Author Topic: fireworks  (Read 9963 times)

Offline Bev

• Site Member
Re: fireworks
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2007, 07:19:25 PM »
arnie is better tonightmim just getting on with things hoovering .ironing etc.he is not shaking tonight.and im not making to much fuss.thanks for all the advice and help

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2007, 07:23:09 PM »
Thats the key really when mine were pups I didn't hide them away they have the rest of there lives to have to deal with this every year , I did some training with them making fireworks a fun thing . I didn't use food though praise alone works well .

That's why I'm so surprised at Molo - as a puppy, he used to watch the fireworks out of the window and even in the garden, but as he has got older, he has become more anxious about them, and he really is very unhappy this year (he was shaking earlier  :'()
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2007, 07:30:52 PM »
Glad Arnie is better tonight - hopefully he is getting the idea that loud bangs don't have to be scary  ;)

What a brave boy !  :luv:
Julie and Watson

Offline crunchie

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2007, 07:50:53 PM »
Blooming things have just started up again.  Last night people up the road from us obviously were having a party and still letting ones off with really loud bangs at 11.30pm.  I was getting really mad.  Think that is well out of order  >:D  They must have woken up people who had gone to bed and young children.  Very selfish and inconsiderate. It must have been a nightmare for their immediate neighbours as apart from the fireworks they had really loud boom boom music on as well.

When I was about 18 I had some friends round for a firework party and my mum wouldn't let us let any off after 9pm so we went down to the beach and set them off down there so we didn't disturb anyone.
Ann and Pringle

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2007, 08:03:28 PM »
Thats the key really when mine were pups I didn't hide them away they have the rest of there lives to have to deal with this every year , I did some training with them making fireworks a fun thing . I didn't use food though praise alone works well .

That's why I'm so surprised at Molo - as a puppy, he used to watch the fireworks out of the window and even in the garden, but as he has got older, he has become more anxious about them, and he really is very unhappy this year (he was shaking earlier  :'()

Ditto with Billy. He used to be ok with fireworks, it's just this year he hates them. He's not shaking though - poor Molo  :'(

Cazzie

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2007, 08:07:54 PM »
No fireworks here last night but they are banging tonight at the boarding school next door and not a flinch from any of mine thank goodness, its awful to see them stressed  :'(

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2007, 08:42:28 PM »
I have a little boy tonight who is obviously a bit stressed but when he hears the fireworks he looks at me, sits and gets a treat for being such a good boy :luv:

we've even been outside where he's barked a few times, and then come back and sat by me and again we did the cheesy treat thing....much much much better than normal ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Lee67

• Site Member
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2007, 09:14:58 PM »
I am a bit cross with my neighbours though - a firework party in their garden and they know I have a dog and two cats ....................... any prior warning?  No!  If it was the 5th November I may forgive the lack of warning but this is two days early - couldn't they have let me know ???????

This is what our neighbours did... >:D
I hid lots of treats around the room for Poppy to find, we went though a lot of treats...she's very quick... ;)
Lee & Poppy xx

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2007, 08:03:30 AM »
If anyone does try it I'd love to know how you get on.

Mixed success here, I'm afraid Mark - I now have two dogs who barking at ME, demanding a yummy treat, rather than barking at the fireworks (in fact, I can't hear the fireworks for the barking)  ph34r

:lol: Cockers are just too clever. That's exactly what Jarvis did too. It only took 2 fireworks for him to get the hang of it. ::) :005:
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline Vino tinto !

• Site Member
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2007, 08:29:19 AM »
Just a thought occured to me whilst reading this thread ( worrying I know !! )  We are all the very proud owners Of beautiful   "gundogs" and a lot of them are frightened of loud bangs ???!!!  :005:     :005:  Hhhhmmmm food for thought methinks !!  :rofl1:

Offline Scootysmum

• Site Member
  • Scoots, mum Molly and sis Daisy on 3rd b-day!
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2007, 09:06:14 AM »
Scooter hates the fireworks, he gets very agitated and paces around the house, barking. We managed to desensitise the boy to the noise by shouting BANG and then treating him (treats being tiny pieces of crusty bread or mushroom doused with rescue remedy).

He now just whimpers a bit and settles down a treat. Brilliant boy!

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2007, 09:29:05 AM »
Just a thought occured to me whilst reading this thread ( worrying I know !! )  We are all the very proud owners Of beautiful   "gundogs" and a lot of them are frightened of loud bangs ???!!!  :005:     :005:  Hhhhmmmm food for thought methinks !!  :rofl1:

my odd one lurves shotguns over his head but hates fireworks ... so that blows that theory Vino tinto  :D
helen & jarvis x

Cazzie

« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2007, 09:33:05 AM »

The old Lab Megan I used for shooting loved going out on shoots and never flinched at the banging, and when we had fireworks displays she would be out with us watching but as she got much older she became a quivering wreck when fireworks were being let off but still enjoyed the banging at shoots   :-\ :luv:

Offline TeresaC

• Site Member
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2007, 09:33:26 AM »
Well i have been amazed by Rosie  :luv: , she has not battered an eyelid, just carried on sleeping, i even shouted at her to check she could hear  :005:

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2007, 10:15:13 AM »
Kali has been a wreck these past few days.  She gets frantic :'(
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe