Author Topic: how do i stop my dog being so clingy  (Read 4826 times)

Offline xlisax

• Site Member
  • Ellie & Max
how do i stop my dog being so clingy
« on: January 22, 2008, 08:42:46 PM »
i love my dogs to bits, and love giving them all the attention i possible can, but max has become very clingy to me he is like a clingy child, always wants to be next to me always trying to get on my lap, he crys constantly if im in another room and he cant get to me, if i so much as move he is right there next to me :-\

i just want to try and make him more independant if thats the right word :huh:

has anyone got any advice on how to deal with this

lisa xx

Cazzie

Re: how do i stop my dog being so clingy
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 08:45:24 PM »
Eh if he is anything like Sweepie (my velcro dog) you will never stop it  :005: :005: ;)

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 08:55:58 PM »
My Bailey is my shadow follows be everywhere :blink:even to the bathroom. When I sit down she is on my lap :luv: But I love it :luv: :luv: My children have left home so she has all the attention she wants.    My other dogs are not so clingy thank goodness. (retrievers)
I can understand it not always good if you have things to do and maybe young children that keep you busy. Sorry I have no advice for you Lisa,but your not alone.

Max loves his mum :luv: :luv:
  Jo    x

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 08:59:59 PM »
How old is Max and has there been a sudden trigger for this behaviour or has he always been like this? If its an ongoing thing you need to get him used to being on his own and this should lead to him becoming more self sufficient. Clingy dogs generally lack self confidence so you need to help him build this up slowly by leaving him for short periods at first and gradually building the time up so he gets used to it like you would a very young puppy. Don't reward or encourage clingy behaviour because this will just feed his anxiety. When you're with him don't give him constant attention, encourage him to amuse himself and do other things which aren't centered on you. If you haven't already got them get some interactive/activity toys like kongs or some nice chews which you can use to keep him occupied. If my lot have a stuffed kong or a bottle with biscuits in it they don't really notice if I'm there or not! DAP diffusers can also help to relax anxious dogs. Giving dogs too much attention is not the best thing for them as it can make them overly dependent on you and their little world literally falls apart when you're not there, it can be remedied but you need to take it slowly so that his confidence keeps growing.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline xlisax

• Site Member
  • Ellie & Max
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 09:18:11 PM »
 :005: @ velcro dog :005:

max is 8 months old he has always been the clingy sort, he will have a chew on his nylobone and play with his toys but its usually right next to me :-\

i can cope with it but it winds up my other half when he constantly wines to be with me ::) he trys to give him the attention but max just wants me.

ellie follows me everywhere too but she is not in maxs league :005:

we have started putting the dogs in the kitchen at night instead of having them upstairs (as max constantly jumps on the bed) they have both taken to that really well and max will have a whine when i go up but he soon settles untill about 6 am  :o when he will start to bark lol

so he is left for periods of time like when im in bed and out but he is just so overpoweringly clingy when i am about :-\

lisa xx

Cazzie

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 09:41:14 PM »
Sweepie has always been like this since she was 10 weeks old, she used to escape out of the kennels and make her way to me or her owner at the time  >:( she would jump out of the paddocks and squeaze under fences to get near us  :luv:

We never ever had to worry about her escaping as she would always come looking for us  :luv: Sweepie can get a little irriating at times with her velcroness but I am now able to leave her in the house if I go out but tbh I take her everywhere because I can. If she is left she goes mental when I come home and I can hear her squealing from inside the house when she hears my van arriving  :o . Tbh I wouldnt want her any other way. She certainly does not lack confidence she just like humans company and who am I to deprive that from her, she gives me far more back that I give her and will continue to do as she wishes to a certain extent  ;)

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 09:43:39 PM »
So he is still a baby :luv:   Bailey is nearly 3 and wasn't clingy until about a year ago :blink:  She sleeps downstairs at night with my other two without apeep until I get up. :luv: When I go out she is good with who is left with her, and does not to cry or wine.

Sounds like max has it bad, bless him :embarassed:  Fingers crossed he will get better as he gets older  :luv:  Jo  x

Offline xlisax

• Site Member
  • Ellie & Max
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 05:51:47 PM »
when i go out he will sit by the door the whole time im gone (and thats when there are others still in the house) ::)

he sits at the gate at the bottom of the stairs while im up there i recon hed live in me pocket if he could  :005:

Offline SJP

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 11:13:04 AM »
Lola is very clingy.  She waits at the bottom of the stairs for me, looking up with those eyes!  She follows me around all day like a shadow and tries to second guess where I'm going next (nine times out of ten she's right).  She sits on my lap when I'm at the computer and even in the evening she slowly creeps along the sofa to my lap as well.  Everybody else in the house can get up and do as they please and Lola will stay put, but if I move...boy she's quick off the mark.

Saying all that I love her to bits and wouldn't have it any other way.  And tbh I thought all cockers were like that  ;)
Sally & Lola xxx