Author Topic: Kennel Cough  (Read 1298 times)

Offline yaker28

Kennel Cough
« on: June 05, 2008, 10:46:31 AM »
Nobby has come down with kennel cough.  He has been to the vets twice and they told my girlfriend to give him ice cream and childrens cough medicine (he also has anti-biotics).  I have read through a few of the posts on here about kennel cough, but have not heard about anyone giving their dog ice cream?  I guess it makes sense as it would cool the trachea.  Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.  Also, is it still advisable for him to go out for walks (will obviously keep him away from other dogs), she forgot to ask the vet?

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: Kennel Cough
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 02:13:12 PM »
Never heard the ice cream one  :005: I'm sure Nobby won't mind!  :lol2: (I wouldn't give very much if you do)

Ice cubes and honey (a teaspoon to a tablespoon) can be very soothing to the throat, better still if you can get manuka honey.

Kennel cough is very contagious so if you do walk try to go to areas where other dogs don't frequent. Also use a harness instead of a collar so you're not pulling on a sore throat  ;)

The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline yaker28

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 04:39:35 PM »
Thanks for the advice.

Nobby loves ice cream.  One of my mates owns ice cream vans and whenever he we see him out Nobby always gets a small tub of it from him.  And of course Nobby loves it when he sees my mate as he knows what he will get!

Offline EmmaA

• Site Member
  • Eric
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 04:49:32 PM »
My vet thought that Groove had this when he was really ill.
He advised me of honey as well, but recommended I didn't take him out for 10 days because he wouldn't have much energy. I don't know how true this is.
I hope Nobby gets better soon  :-*

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 05:31:02 PM »
I used manuka honey and that helped. Its more expensive than normal honey but has some sort of active ingredient to help...

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 06:09:18 PM »
I used manuka honey and that helped. Its more expensive than normal honey but has some sort of active ingredient to help...

Same here; I found the Manuka Honey to be excellent for Spike when he had KC. (Never tried ice cream but I'm sure Spike would have loved it!! ;))
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 06:47:03 PM »
mm can't say I have heard of ice cream - but i am sure neither of mine would say no, i remember when we were on holiday.... >:D, lucky if i got a look in  :005:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 08:04:13 PM »
Sam caught it at puppy obedience class. None of the dogs were coughing there but when I phoned the trainer the next day to say Sam had started coughing she said I was the 4th person to phone and tell her the same! He had children's Benylin and honey. Luckily he didn't seem to be unwell with it and my other Cocker Josh didn't catch it! The worst thing was not being able to take them out for walks. I did sneak out to really remote areas of the New Forest a few times when we all got stir crazy, but I'm not sure that I should even have done that.
All that was about 18 years ago, so I don't know if the treatment is any different now.