Author Topic: Barking when out  (Read 528 times)

Offline yorky

Barking when out
« on: July 22, 2008, 09:56:52 PM »
Hi all

Well Libby has settled in well since she arrived last week. We do however still have one problem. She is six and was a former show dog that then had two litters with a breeder. She was living in the house with 16 other dogs before making the move. She was never toilet trained but is coming on well in this regard ,however as she has formed more of an attachment with us she has now started to bark when we leave the house and this can go on for hours at a time. She is actually fine on a night because she knows we are in the house in bed so it's more of a day problem.
I'm guessing this can be quiet a common problem and would appreciate any advice form anyone who has suffered this and found an answer.

Many thanks

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: Barking when out
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 10:11:55 PM »
A lot of dogs, even those used to being left, can become anxious when they are alone in a new home.  Try to introduce her to being left gradually; first for a minute or two, and then the odd half hour - waiting til she is quiet to come back and not making a big fuss of her when you greet her  ;)
It took Bonnee two weeks to settle in with us and relax when she was left alone for short periods even though she had bee nelft daily for 5-6 hours in her former home (which imo, is too long for any dog).  It took longer still before she was happy to be left without the security of a crate  ;)

she has now started to bark when we leave the house and this can go on for hours at a time.

How long are you leaving her for?  Even dogs which are used to being left are rarely happy being left "for hours"  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline yorky

Re: Barking when out
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 10:32:29 PM »
I'm self employed and tend to be in and out of the house all day, usually out for a couple of hours. I have noticed from standing outside that she starts to bark within a few minutes. The breeder told us she was used to been left for six hours at a time which is not something that will happen with us. She loves to travel in the van with me. Just to explain I have a carpet cleaning /fire and flood restoration business. With the fire and flood it's just a case of checking equipment which takes ten minutes and she is happy to sit in the van. I can't do that with the carpet cleaning as obviously she can't be left in the van that length of time.

Just to add I have tried a crate but she was so distressed in it I gave up quickly and reverted to letting her have the run of the downstairs.