Author Topic: Yellow Bile  (Read 1051 times)

Offline amanda9586

• Donator
Yellow Bile
« on: July 31, 2008, 12:37:29 PM »
Over the last couple of weeks Poppy has had a few instances of yellow bile like sick - then this morning really runny no 2's and then another yellow sick (not a lot).

I'm not going to feed her for 24 hours in case its a bit of a bug and then I'll just give her some chicken & rice. 

Do you think this is just perhaps becasue of the heat?  She has not been fed anything different to normal and seems to be really well in herself and not looking off colour at all.....

Any advice?

Amanda x

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
Re: Yellow Bile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 12:41:13 PM »
Indie had this last week, came down in the morning to yellow bile on the floor but she was fine in herself and its not happened again, I thought she'd eaten too much grass/leaves or something.   I wasn't too concerned about it cos she seemed fine - seeing your post has made me wonder whether I should have been  ph34r

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 12:45:59 PM »

Yellow bile in the morning can be the result of an empty stomach. A biscuit last thing at night usually puts a stop to it.

Offline amanda9586

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 01:01:08 PM »

Yellow bile in the morning can be the result of an empty stomach. A biscuit last thing at night usually puts a stop to it.

Thank Colin - I'll try that - Feel bad now thinking that I should have been giving her something  ph34r

Offline Guelder Rose

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 01:28:04 PM »
Rosie would vomit yellow bile during the night, thinking back it might have been once or twice a month and I never really thought much of it as she always seemed well in herself.  She always had bedtime biscuits, so she never went to bed on an empty stomach.  However, she never vomited yellow bile again once she was switched to a low fat diet after having had pancreatitis.  Thus, I always wondered whether the yellow bile was some kind of warning that something was upsetting her stomach, and from what I have read Cocker Spaniels are more prone to pancreatitis than other breeds.     

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 01:36:03 PM »

Biba use to vomit yellow or clear bile in the night...but she has stopped since having bedtime biccy  ::) Lola has never done it but she has had bedtime biccy from the first day she arrived....well you cant give one without the other  :-\  :005:

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 04:35:18 PM »
William sometimes vomits yellow bile at about 6.00am, maybe once every couple of weeks or so. It wasn't a problem that my other two Cockers ever had. William's more prone to it when he's eaten either grass or horse sh*t the previous evening. I've tried feeding him a bit later or a bit earlier but it doesn't seem to make any difference. He has his food split into 2 meals every day plus a few treats. He always has a bedtime biscuit at about 11.00pm after he's been out for his bedtime pee.

He's on Burns now and that hasn't made him any worse or better with the bile problem. He used to be on JWB and got on with that quite well, then switched to Arden Grange which definitely made him put weight on, hence the switch to Burns.

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 04:44:37 PM »
I agree with the empty stomach, biscuit at bedtime advice, but the runny bott is a bit of a worry.

It might just be a coincidence, and it could be the weather or anything snaffled on walks (Buddy has a different consistency every day - quite an art project really) but it could also be a sign of an obstruction. Although I would expect her to be unwell.

Just keep an eye on her and if she seems unwell, or if her tummy becomes rigid or sore then whisk her off to the vets. Otherwise, if she remains well in herself then just do the biscuit thing and I hope she will improve.

Sorry, not wanting to worry you, just want you to know what to look out for. It's probably not an obstruction. She would be pretty unwell if it is.

Hope she is better soon

Offline amanda9586

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 05:04:20 PM »
I agree with the empty stomach, biscuit at bedtime advice, but the runny bott is a bit of a worry.

It might just be a coincidence, and it could be the weather or anything snaffled on walks (Buddy has a different consistency every day - quite an art project really) but it could also be a sign of an obstruction. Although I would expect her to be unwell.

Just keep an eye on her and if she seems unwell, or if her tummy becomes rigid or sore then whisk her off to the vets. Otherwise, if she remains well in herself then just do the biscuit thing and I hope she will improve.

Sorry, not wanting to worry you, just want you to know what to look out for. It's probably not an obstruction. She would be pretty unwell if it is.

Hope she is better soon

Thanks for the advice.  She seems very ok in herself (I'm shattered after 5 mins of "where's the ball gone?"  :005: she's sill up for it!).  I'll defo keep an eye on her as I'm a bit of a worrier anyway.....

Will defo start with the buscuit at bedtime as the yellow bile seems to be in a morning.

Her No 2's are and always have been a bit hit and miss as far as firmness is concerned. So the odd bit of runnyness we have kind of ingored as it sometimes seemed to be when she was excited as I read on here that can cause a bit of softness shall we say.  But I'm now thinking that maybe its her food as she does not really get anything else (ie we dont feed her our food etc) just small treats.  She is on JWB and has been since a puppy and she seems to really love it in that not a bit left etc so I'm reluctant to change....  I mean is a bit of runnyness now and again acceptable or should we be changing food in an attempt a firm every time  - cant belive I have typed about poo so much since having a dog.... ph34r

Offline Lynne L

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 10:08:17 AM »
Paddy was doing this  - i.e. yellow bile brought up in morning and loose/stools with mucus. He was also eating a lot of grass. We went down the allergy test route and found he was allergic to beef and lamb. Since eliminating these from his diet (including any treats or biscuits that might have these in) he hasn't had the problem (except I gave him some cheese as a training reward the day before yesterday and it upset his digestive system although allergy test was OK for dairy). So...may be an allergy???
Lynne

Offline Xensgirl

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 11:49:43 AM »
I think it could be eating grass which is doing this - mine are always chomping it - they will turn into cows one day I'm sure  :005:

Most of the dogs I've had have thrown up some yellow bile occasionally in the mornings - and always before breakfast, sometimes with runny poohs sometimes not.  As long as mine are ok otherwise I tend not to worry, think its a bit of a 'dog thing' myself!!