Author Topic: Insurance - do we have a definitive answer?  (Read 4955 times)

Offline jann

• Site Member
Re: Insurance - do we have a definitive answer?
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 08:32:34 PM »
For me, the main concern is that if my dog developed a long term ongoing illness she would be covered for life,and how much per year they would pay for the treatment.   Not so much how much the premiums are or how quickly they pay out. :huh:

QuietScribe

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 08:46:47 PM »
I know it is the done thing to get insurance, but like another poster, I am dubious about the cost of an insurance and what it gives you, especially in terms of excess. 
You could be paying £20 a month and have nothing go wrong for years.  If something does go wrong, you then have the excess to pay, but then you also have to take into consideration all the years you could have been saving the insurance money to pay for vets bills.  Long term illnesses are not good, but would they cost more than the insurance every month?  I know any surgery a dog might get is going to be high, but are the chances that high? 

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2009, 08:58:01 PM »
QScribe - my main priority as far as insuance is concerned is third party - if the dogs were to cause an accident or such. I could perhaps find the money for vet treatment but not for someone's car or life etc  :o  :-\

For me, the main concern is that if my dog developed a long term ongoing illness she would be covered for life,and how much per year they would pay for the treatment.   Not so much how much the premiums are or how quickly they pay out. :huh:

I understand what you mean but for some it's a big consideration what the premiums are, and if they have to pay out thousands how quickly they will get reimbursed (it could be the case of taking a loan to pay) same with all insurance you take a chance on your cover unless you can afford top notch.
Also some companies do offer a similars policies at vastly different prices. I don't see the point of not wanting to shop around to avoid paying more for the same thing.   ;)
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2009, 09:06:58 PM »
My insurance claims ( M&S)  are dealt with by my vet, so I would not have to actually pay anything except the excess!

I do agree with you about shopping around though  ;)

But, as cob- web said   

"I have yet to find a true like-for-like comparison between two different policies - they all vary slightly in the cover and exclusions; so it really is a case of deciding what you need, and then finding a policy that suits   ;)

Jann

QuietScribe

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2009, 09:16:45 PM »
Good point on the third party liability.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2009, 09:21:37 PM »

Do most everyday treatments (swallowed a sock, cut a pad, grass seed) cost enough that you'ld bother to claim if the excess is say £60?

That depends on your disposable income - two dogs, one chewed packet of ibuprofen, and an overnight stay later, and even after I paid the excess on both, the combined cheques received were over £200  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline highlandlass

• Robbie the Rebel
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2009, 09:28:20 PM »
I don't really have any idea of treatment costs. Is it easy to get say £2500 bills? Or more?
Do most everyday treatments (swallowed a sock, cut a pad, grass seed) cost enough that you'ld bother to claim if the excess is say £60?

Well, the only incident i have claimed for was when Robbie swallowed a glove last month - thankfully he did not need opened up, but still had general anaesthetic for endoscopy and removal of said glove 9 which they gave me in a sealed bag marked "toxic" !  :005:) Bill was £150 and would have been double if surgery required -so yes - def worth a clam even with £60 excess!

That said - i have completed all the paperwork - but no cheque as yet!  :P

Offline emms

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2009, 09:49:06 PM »
As has been said by others its difficult to compare insurances.  Its a case of finding the balance between an affordable cost and the benefits offered.  I have a limited disposable income and while I know I can afford a set monthly amount, a big an unexpected vet bill would be far more difficult.   

I know other people have had some negative experiences with them but I have found Tescos great.  Have claimed for grass seeds in ears/feet, an emergency visit for badly cut leg, and a long term digestive disorder and have received prompt payment for all.  (runs off to touch wood  :lol2:)

I pay about £25 a month for two dogs, and have a £60 excess.  Generally any visit to my vet exceeds the excess as a consultation alone is usually around £35  >:(   

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2009, 09:54:51 PM »
I know it is the done thing to get insurance, but like another poster, I am dubious about the cost of an insurance and what it gives you, especially in terms of excess. 
You could be paying £20 a month and have nothing go wrong for years.  If something does go wrong, you then have the excess to pay, but then you also have to take into consideration all the years you could have been saving the insurance money to pay for vets bills.  Long term illnesses are not good, but would they cost more than the insurance every month?  I know any surgery a dog might get is going to be high, but are the chances that high? 

At £20 per month as I was paying for 3 dogs this time last year I would have had to have saved for quite a while to cover the cost of treatment Alfie (then aged 2) had for a tumour on his leg in January and then Rodaidh's (then aged 1) luxating patella surgery in March. Both of them are young, robust, healthy working dogs and both conditions came completely out of the blue. The combined bill was over £3000 of which I paid a grand total of £100 excess which I think is a pretty good deal. To look at it savings-wise at £20 per month it would take more than 12 and a half years to save enough to cover just those 2 bills let alone anything else which might happen to any of them.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2009, 09:59:11 PM »
Long term illnesses are not good, but would they cost more than the insurance every month?  I know any surgery a dog might get is going to be high, but are the chances that high? 

No matter how slim the chances, the decision if anything does happen is whether or not you can afford a large lump sum to have your dog treated, and if not, to end his/her life  :-\
Oldies Club

Offline annG

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2009, 11:41:43 PM »
I would class my self in same boat as you.     I did narrow it down in the end to pet plan.
Not Manny have the for life, with them say your dog need constent vet IE say diabetic.or some thing like that would the company cover.?, I have experienced with M&S mind did only have the bronze. now my dog needed 1600 pounds worth of veterinary, dew to a emergency, there cover was only 1000 so as my dog died and what was well over 2000 pound clam.
 My settlement was only 1200.
I asked breeder, she happy with petplan, my vet advised it as she told me they do not mess you about and pay up as and when.   Also looked at other  companies. Some seem to want you to sign up.  Then they will give you a coat. I have until the 20/2 to sort it out hopefully will never need  it. I know what can happen and would advise nobody to be without.
:)
JAFFA!

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2009, 11:50:15 PM »
One more question. Would an accident or illness such as grass seed or eye infection become a 'pre-existing condition'? If it is, is it likely that a company would offer a reasonable premium and then hike it substantially the following year but you obviously then can't move if you have had a small claim for that incident IYSWIM.
Wherry's KC has gone up by aroud £3 a year with no claims.
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline superscot

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2009, 12:10:35 AM »
Well as a relative newcomer to puppy /dog insurance.....like all met with  a mine field of what to do ....do you stick with PETPLAN ....quoted me £32 per month for a 12 week old puppy ...Kennel club managed to hit the £26 + mark ....now have went with a few recommendations on this forum with Green bee at £13 http://www.greenbee.com/pet-insurance

..............have to say not claimed yet ... and hopefully don't have to !

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2009, 06:42:02 AM »
One more question. Would an accident or illness such as grass seed or eye infection become a 'pre-existing condition'? If it is, is it likely that a company would offer a reasonable premium and then hike it substantially the following year but you obviously then can't move if you have had a small claim for that incident IYSWIM.
Wherry's KC has gone up by aroud £3 a year with no claims.

Even if you don't claim - any treatment your dog has received should be declared when you take out a policy, and will inform exclusions  ;) 

I don't beleive that many companies carry out the practice of hiking premiums in the second year (whether or not you have claimed in the first year).........in the last couple of years there has been an industry-wide increase in prices, which has led to people changing to a cheaper company one year, only to find that the new company also increases their prices on renewal  ;)
Oldies Club

Offline PennyB

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2009, 08:38:19 AM »
Long term illnesses are not good, but would they cost more than the insurance every month?  I know any surgery a dog might get is going to be high, but are the chances that high? 

No matter how slim the chances, the decision if anything does happen is whether or not you can afford a large lump sum to have your dog treated, and if not, to end his/her life  :-\

Also, just to walk through the doors of our out of hours clinic it costs almost £90 and that's before you see a vet. You just never know if you need to use the insurance - Wilf has regular acupuncture and hydrotherapy and while its not life-threatening it means I can do this without breaking the bank. I think it gives that peace of mind as it means you can persue treatment you may otherwise not be able to afford. My premiums are £21.45 with Petplan (budget, for life policy) and am happy enough with them.

Last year one of my cats became seriously ill - urinary stones, which can be a common ailment in some male cats (but his had ripped his urethra thus complicating things) - he was hospitalised for 10 days and at one point spent the weekend in the emergency clinic in another part of town (he was moved to and from my vets by ambulance). Because I had insurance that my vets were happy with it meant they also paid for the emergency clinic for me as well which normally I would've had to pay for separately - they knew I was good for it, ie petplan would pay up.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!