Author Topic: If puppy eats something toxic...  (Read 595 times)

Offline yogesh

• me and my pet
If puppy eats something toxic...
« on: April 02, 2010, 06:15:38 AM »
hello friends my puppy ate something which is undesirable to anybody.....she ate some poo of birds and some old dried pieces of bread.... she was sick and doctor asked me ... you gave her some thing different to eat i said no ..........he asked me to give her phexim syrup 1.5 ml two times a day for 3 days, similarly perixom 1ml two times a day for 3 days......now she is well but i would like to know it a right medicine or any thing better then this is available.....

Thank you.

Yogesh  >:D
my closest friend-

Offline Philtrum

• Site Member
    • www.PhilLawrencePhoto.co.uk
Re: If puppy eats something toxic...
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 08:41:35 AM »
Hi

My dog will eat bird poo (we have chickens too) and old bread should not cause them any problems unless they eat a few whole loaves.

was the puppy being sick lots, or just a few times to empty its stomach ?

Cheers
Phil

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 10:32:03 AM »
those are medications we don't get in England (or if we do they're branded under a different name)  :-\

helen & jarvis x

Offline PennyB

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 01:28:04 PM »
Warm salty water in a syringe does the trick as well - I got the syringe from the vets and makes it easier to get it down

Always make sure it is OK to make them sick though as sometimes it can make them worse (i.e. if its an object they swallowed as sometimes it can damage them coming back up)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline brownsugar

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 08:17:11 PM »
Just a reaction to the use of salt to induce vomiting. Did a post as a reply to Philtrum on Health this afternoon on this subject so won't get too longwinded here... ;)
The bottom line is, giving salt to induce vomiting might not be so harmless as (I) thought. If the dog doesn't vomit after having been given the salt (or if given a lot of salt) the salt content in his blood rises, thus possibly causing massive swelling of the tissues. If the salt reaches the brain, it may result in very severe symptoms, such as high temperatures, seizures, cardiac problems, coma and death.
The Dutch Vet professional organisation KNMvD published in its magazine of feb. 2009 the cases of two dogs, a Schipperke and a Sky Terrier who both died of suspected salt intoxication after having been given salt to induce vomiting. Unfortunately the article is in Dutch (Tijdschrift voor Diergeneeskunde Deel 134, Aflevering 4, 15 feb. 2009). The case of the Schipperke has been published in English.
The article states toxic effects are described at 1,9 gram per kilo bodyweight. Acute lethal dosis at 3,7 gram per kilo bodyweight.

Was very surprised to learn about this, as I always thought it was a harmless household remedy.