Author Topic: Worried about Dennis  (Read 12025 times)

Offline Maria n Dennis

• Donator
Worried about Dennis
« on: January 17, 2011, 09:18:00 PM »
Im really worried about Dennis  :'( I think hes going backwards.

I dont even know where to start  :'( For the past week or so i have felt that he has been going backwards , not for any reason other than i just dont think he looks his happy self and he has started shaking a little occasionally which i know can be a sign of pain  :-\ i have felt every little bit of him to see if i can find anything that hurts but i cant.  I have discussed it with my hubby and he keeps telling me im worrying about nothing and that hes fine. Every time i think "i will take him to vets today " he seems better and i want to have something they can see other than i dont think he looks happy. He has been eating and active.

Then last night we was cuddled up on the sofa he was wrapped in a blanket and he had been shivering a little , so i wrapped up in my blanket just to see if he was chilly has he has been recently clipped. When he got down i moved the blanket to cover my feet and it was sopping wet , as was my dressing gown , it looks like he had wet himself while he was asleep and all his side was wet. Then then he went out for his normal wee fine. Today about 4 ish i realised i hadnt actually seen him wee so have been watching him like a hawk now when hes out and he still hasnt been. His tummy is hard but he hasnt long been fed  :-\ he dosnt seem uncomfortable at all and hes curled up a sleep just fine now.

I dont know if its just me , ive not really talked much on here about it because i do feel stupid for the way i feel , i dont know weather im looking for things that could be wrong all the time  :'( I have stopped walking him as much because everytime i take him out im scared that we will meet another dog that might hurt him. I walked him the other day through the farm and the collie came up over the hill with no owner and showed signs that he was going to be aggressive ( he was snarling and his hackles were up ) Dennis dosnt help the situation because he just barks at other dogs when hes on lead and they dont seem to like that  ph34r I just scooped him up , i know that is wrong on so many levels and makes us more interesting and with a healthy dog i wouldnt have done that but i couldnt risk him being hurt  :'( i was on my own with two little ones , i know the collie isnt normally nasty but i couldnt risk a scrap with no one to help split them up. Dennis dosnt see that he has a problem and can think hes ten dogs sometimes  ph34r

I know im avoiding taking him to the vets which is so wrong , but if there is a problem i know there is a chance that i will loose him  :'( and i just dont want to think about that. Please dont think bad of me but i have already decided that if it happens again which there is a chance , that i will not put him through it all again , it wouldnt be fair , i know some people buy carts etc for their disabled dogs but that kind of thing really isnt for me.

Im really sorry for my ramble and thank you to anyone who got to the end  :005:

Offline ejp

• Donator
Re: Worried about Dennis
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 09:24:39 PM »
Oh boy, you have all my sympathy, I followed Dennis's earlier thread when he was so very poorly, and I can understand why you feel how you do.  I have no experience to draw on to give you useful advice, but I just think you are giving yourself a hard time, and no-one should think badly of you, as it is so very obvious how much you love your wee man.  I would be very scared to walk him, in case, as you say another dog unintentionally hurt him.  I really wish I could say something to put your mind at ease  :bigarmhug: Hopefully someone will be able to give you better advice soon.

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 09:29:29 PM »
You have my sympathy too, I can understand exactly how you are feeling.

Really hope someone can come along to help put your mind at rest and all my positive thoughts are with Dennis that there is nothing at all wrong with him.

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 09:31:35 PM »
Huge  :bigarmhug:'s for you hun - I for one, wouldn't dare judge you & any decision you should make about Dennis or anything else. I'm not in your position & can only imagine how hard this has been for you all & the emotions you must of been going through all this time  :'(
I'm no expert but if it were me, I'd be seeking expert advice - whether the news be good or bad, I'd need to know  ph34r   Tis easy for me to say I know & will say special prayers for you & your extra special boy - just wish i could make things better for the both of you.
You've done so well so far  & keeping everything crossed this is just a tiny hickup & nothing major  :luv:
Thinking of you both  :luv: :-*
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline Maria n Dennis

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 09:33:02 PM »
Huge  :bigarmhug:'s for you hun - I for one, wouldn't dare judge you & any decision you should make about Dennis or anything else. I'm not in your position & can only imagine how hard this has been for you all & the emotions you must of been going through all this time  :'(
I'm no expert but if it were me, I'd be seeking expert advice - whether the news be good or bad, I'd need to know  ph34r   Tis easy for me to say I know & will say special prayers for you & your extra special boy - just wish i could make things better for the both of you.
You've done so well so far  & keeping everything crossed this is just a tiny hickup & nothing major  :luv:
Thinking of you both  :luv: :-*

Maybe i should have mentioned before , im not putting it off any longer , ive already decided that he will be going to the vets in the morning regardless of how i think he is.

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 09:35:46 PM »
 :bigarmhug:

Hope the vet is able to put your mind at rest tomorrow - it might be something as simple as a water infection that's caused him to 'dribble'.

:bigarmhug: Hope you are feeling better too btw
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 09:44:17 PM »
Will be thinking of you both tomorrow  :bigarmhug:   :-*   :luv:
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 09:45:12 PM »
Will be thinking of you.

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 09:48:24 PM »
 :bigarmhug: I'll be praying for Dennis :luv:

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 09:51:41 PM »
 :bigarmhug:'s for you and everything crossed here for Dennis.  Think you're doing the right thing to take him, you know your boy best. Hopefully it will be something easily treatable and he can continue on his recovery road  :luv:
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 10:01:58 PM »
I'm glad you've decided to go to the vet  :blink:

Has anyone suggested, or have you considered accupuncture? I have personally witnessed a dachshund with IVDD who was totally paralyzed, walking within a week from accupuncture. I do know they have very good success with it.

You can use this to find a vet who is trained in it:

http://www.abva.co.uk/find.asp

Don't ever feel stupid for how you feel, it is perfectly natural :bigarmhug:

The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline maggieann

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 10:14:15 PM »
Will be thinking of you both tomorrow. :bigarmhug:
Torin & Me

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

Offline Maria n Dennis

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 10:15:30 PM »
I'm glad you've decided to go to the vet  :blink:

Has anyone suggested, or have you considered accupuncture? I have personally witnessed a dachshund with IVDD who was totally paralyzed, walking within a week from accupuncture. I do know they have very good success with it.

You can use this to find a vet who is trained in it:

http://www.abva.co.uk/find.asp

Don't ever feel stupid for how you feel, it is perfectly natural :bigarmhug:

No it has never been mentioned before . Thanks for the link , i will have a good look at the in a minute  :D

Dennis is walking good , you can tell hes not right but i dont think he ever will be. One big problem i have with him is trying to keep him off furniture , he dosnt think hes any different than he was :D

Offline Pop-Star

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 10:43:50 PM »
Thinking of you both :bigarmhug:
Janet & Poppy

Offline Maria n Dennis

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 10:52:04 PM »
Hes just had a wee , he just waited for hubby to come home to make me look like a liar  ph34r

But he is still going vets tomorrow  :D