Author Topic: KC Good Citizen Bronze Award  (Read 3948 times)

Offline pipkoi

• Donator
  • Butch-my First Cocker Spaniel 18.02.67 - 28.06.75
    • Dylan's Blog
KC Good Citizen Bronze Award
« on: June 12, 2013, 10:03:31 PM »
A certain young man of mine, Jarvis & Nigel are taking this on Friday.
Nigel has never done anything like this before and is terrified.
Can anyone give me an idea of how the evening/session goes, how much detail, how strict is assessor? Re questions, do they just ask you to say three Answers or detail around each question.
Any information would be gratefully received so I can try to reassure him  :D
Thanks
Pip, Dylan, Charlie, Teagan & Kai
Remembering Butch, Brin, Simba, Toby, Jasper, Jarvis, Jake,  Bayley, Sailor & Foxy - my forever bridge babies

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Offline Sula

• Raisin
Re: KC Good Citizen Bronze Award
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 08:51:57 AM »
Afraid not been involved with this - but good luck to all concerned xx

Offline ali2010

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 12:11:35 PM »
I have done th bronze silver and gold with Albert, was dreading the first one!!  The bronze and silver were ok, they weren't that strict but the gold was very hard.

In our tests, we did the various exercises and then were asked questions as a group, no individual questions, you just shouted out the answers that you knew so it was quite nice and informal

I thought that we had failed every time but was shocked that we passed all of them, I think they made allowances e.g. on the gold I had to shut Albert in another room and stand outside and he cried really loud the whole time he was in the room!  Also the examiner had to look at Albert's paws and when she did that Albert jumped up her and licked her face!

My advice would be don't worry about it!  Good luck, Alison x

Offline tenaille

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 12:47:25 PM »
Beau did his with no problems. Like you a bit apprehensive beforehand but actually it turned out to be friendly and enjoyable.
Just a couple of questions (which were prompted a bit if people were nervous)
Beau was a little angel while the Labs jumped around like loonies  :luv:

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 01:03:21 PM »
Its not too hard, I know our assessor (the local dog warden) was more interested in control of your dog and didn't expect competition style obedience.  I think the question and answer part is pretty much common sense and usually you're given a leaflet during the course so as long as you've read it Nigel should be ok.
Has he been working with Jarvis during the course?
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline pipkoi

• Donator
    • Dylan's Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 01:45:46 PM »
Just realised that I didn't update this.
Unfortunately Nigel let Jarvis down - his words not mine.
They had done brilliantly for the whole evening, 2 long hours & Jarvis got thoroughly bored. The last 2 exercises were the most challenging - the stay for 1 minute at a distance & the recall. The stay went brilliantly but as Nigel returned to Jarvis, he sat up & barked.
Nigel thought he had failed so when he went into the final exercise, the recall, he relaxed and changed how he spoke to Jarvis. He recalled beautifully but instead of clipping him straight on to lead, Nigel praised him & he jumped away for a sniff :'(
Very disappointed but back in training now and have learnt from the experience :D
Remembering Butch, Brin, Simba, Toby, Jasper, Jarvis, Jake,  Bayley, Sailor & Foxy - my forever bridge babies

Offline BeeBoo

• Buckley
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 02:29:39 PM »
Could I ask what the questions are?  :blink:

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 02:53:52 PM »
Just realised that I didn't update this.
Unfortunately Nigel let Jarvis down - his words not mine.
They had done brilliantly for the whole evening, 2 long hours & Jarvis got thoroughly bored. The last 2 exercises were the most challenging - the stay for 1 minute at a distance & the recall. The stay went brilliantly but as Nigel returned to Jarvis, he sat up & barked.
Nigel thought he had failed so when he went into the final exercise, the recall, he relaxed and changed how he spoke to Jarvis. He recalled beautifully but instead of clipping him straight on to lead, Nigel praised him & he jumped away for a sniff :'(
Very disappointed but back in training now and have learnt from the experience :D

Oh that's such a shame. I'm sure he'll be fab next time but well done for nearly making it.

BeeBoo, the questions are based on the KC responsibility and care leaflet which you can download here. http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/cgi-bin/library.cgi?action=detail&id=6026 When we did ours the questions were written down and we each had to fill in our answers but it was still quite informal with each of us holding someone else's dog so the other person could write clearly!

Offline pipkoi

• Donator
    • Dylan's Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 03:19:46 PM »
The way Nigel's examiner did it was really good. He didn't even realise he was being asked them. Whilst they were demonstrating brushing the dogs, showing their teeth, examining paws etc, she was talking to them. Seemed to have a theme about exercise as she asked everyone about this.

Offline BeeBoo

• Buckley
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 03:57:29 PM »
BeeBoo, the questions are based on the KC responsibility and care leaflet which you can download here. http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/cgi-bin/library.cgi?action=detail&id=6026 When we did ours the questions were written down and we each had to fill in our answers but it was still quite informal with each of us holding someone else's dog so the other person could write clearly!

Brilliant - thank you very much, have downloaded it  :D