Author Topic: Running with me.  (Read 3160 times)

Offline abzy0309

Running with me.
« on: October 19, 2013, 09:46:01 PM »
Hi All,

Does anyone take their Cocker jogging/running.

I'm thinking if starting up again (it will not be intense, I am no Paula Radcliffe) and was wondering if Reggie could come. He's 19 weeks now.

Obviously it wouldn't be for long and I would build the speed/distance gradually.

Any tips please?  :D

Abbie & Reggie

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Running with me.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 10:04:38 PM »
I think that at 19 weeks Reggie is way too young to go running with you. Even short runs risk joint damage while he's still so young and his growth plates haven't closed.

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 10:10:51 PM »
At 19 weeks old Reggie will still be limited to the amount of exercise he gets. This is discussed in the puppy board here...

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=107659.0

Grass is much better than road or paved surfaces but I'd still be very wary of overdoing it as he's still a very young dog and, at his age, five minutes walking and running about then five minutes rest and so on up to about half an hour of exercise time would be more suitable.
By all means aim towards his having a run with you but I'd give it a few more months of normal exercise and then gradually build up as his joints and muscles strengthen.

A great idea for the future though and you should both be running together by the time spring arrives  ;).

Bob.

Offline abzy0309

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 10:18:14 PM »
Thanks Bob  :D

I know that he is still very young and I am hoping to get him doing this with me in the future. I have found some interesting sites offering professional advice on training etc so I will have a look into this, and get him checked by the vet first to make sure that he is ok to do so.

I might only be able to manage exercise with 5 minute intervals myself!!

Abbie & Reggie

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 10:25:28 PM »
I might only be able to manage exercise with 5 minute intervals myself!!

My Dog, as long as that  :clapping:. I usually take a break half way up the stairs  :005:.

Bob (Getting increasingly decrepit and hating every minute of it  >:()

Offline praia

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 01:12:29 AM »
I would not start running with any young dog until it has reached skeletal maturity as you risk serious damage to the growing bones and joints.  I would wait till your pup was at least 8-12 months before doing even the lightest of training for a run.  For my youngest spaniel I waited until she was a full year old before taking her on short and novice level runs.  We mostly did interval training with her - 20 seconds of a moderate to fast run then 10 seconds of a light jog - for a mile or so to start.  It took her maybe 3 months before she was able to maintain a good pace on an easy 5k. 

At this point I would just focus on teaching your young pup proper leash manners and recall so that in the future you can possibly run with them off the lead.  If you ever get to the point where you're doing rough trail runs, or actually running and not just a light jog, then it's better to have the dog off the lead.

Offline GeoW

• Donator
  • Maurice, Jan, and William (Prince of Orange)
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 10:43:06 AM »
I agree with the others Abbie, don't risk little Reggie's development by over exercising until he is mature.

I used to do a fair bit of running in my younger days, and I never managed to get any of our spaniels to run with me, too busy with noses to the ground, and interesting sniffs to investigate.

William's no different it's hard enough to get him to keep up when walking, unless of course he's got his cocker mates to run with. :005:

M.

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 12:48:22 PM »
I personally would not start running with a dog until they are fully grown! Just like you wouldn't take a toddler for a run like this... I'd wait until he is a good year old and then build up gradually.
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline abzy0309

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 04:27:44 PM »
I agree with the others Abbie, don't risk little Reggie's development by over exercising until he is mature.

I used to do a fair bit of running in my younger days, and I never managed to get any of our spaniels to run with me, too busy with noses to the ground, and interesting sniffs to investigate.

William's no different it's hard enough to get him to keep up when walking, unless of course he's got his cocker mates to run with. :005:

M.

Thinking about it properly I think I would probably do myself more damage tripping up over him!  :D

Thanks to you all for your advice but I never had any intention of taking him out before he was mature enough. What I meant was there anything that I could do to prepare him in the months before. I wouldn't dream of taking out him out as a puppy when he is only allowed limited exercise at the minute. 

Abbie & Reggie