Author Topic: Agility motivators/rewards  (Read 1336 times)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Agility motivators/rewards
« on: July 20, 2007, 10:09:46 AM »
Does anyone use squeaky toys as motivators for agility training?  :huh:

I am struggling to maintain the energy I need to keep Molo focused on me; he needs an incredible amount of motivation to ensure he focuses on me and doesn't hurtle off to track rabbits/frogs/horses in the fields we use  ::)

I am thinking that a squeaky toy in my pocket, which I can squeeze after each obstacle (which is when he gets lost and loses focus) will help to keep his attention on me.......and then give it to him to play with as a reward at the end........any thoughts?  :huh:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
Re: Agility motivators/rewards
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 01:13:27 PM »
I don't as Max isn't interested in toys at all.  It was suggested that we tried one week instead of treats - total waste of time for us  :005:
Alot of the other dogs at the class use squeeky toys & it really works for them - then the toy tends to get thrown over the last piece of equipment for the dog to fetch  :luv:
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 11:36:52 AM »
Are you allowed squeaky toys near rings in agility?  I dont know the rules, but I know for obedience no squeaky toys/clickers etc are allowed near rings.  For that reason I tend not to train with squeaky toys as I cant use them in competition and my dogs would probably put a sulk on if the reward they got wasnt as good as the reward they get in training. 

If they are allowed it's probably worth giving it a go  :D 

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 11:45:57 AM »
Are you allowed squeaky toys near rings in agility?  I dont know the rules, but I know for obedience no squeaky toys/clickers etc are allowed near rings.  For that reason I tend not to train with squeaky toys as I cant use them in competition and my dogs would probably put a sulk on if the reward they got wasnt as good as the reward they get in training. 

If they are allowed it's probably worth giving it a go  :D 

In competition agility, you are only allowed to verbally control/praise your dog - no treats or toys in the ring and you are not allowed to touch your dog, either  ;)

I am hoping to use the toy to improve his focus and then slowly replace it with verbal commands - if I have to train him from scratch only using my voice, I might as well give up, tbh  :-\
Oldies Club

Offline ClareB

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 08:29:34 PM »
I use a squeaky toy to get Milo's attention sometimes.  Our agility paddock is woodchip and he often loses focus, grabs a mouthful of woodchip and runs off with it.   ::)  I try to use a squeaky toy on a rope or something so we can play a game of tug when we've finished the exercise.  If he's given the toy, it then turns into another game of chase as he makes off across the paddock with it hoping I'll run after him.   >:D
Clare, Milo & Mocha

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 08:44:33 PM »
Yey, it worked

A quick squeak when he began to wander, and we did two uninterrupted rounds
Oldies Club

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 11:23:02 AM »
Many congrats, so pleased it worked.  Sounds like it was well worth a try  :D

Maybe eventually the toy will lose its squeaky, but Molo will still be into it, so you can use it as a motivator and reward in competition too? 

Storm always has her reward (food in a covered pot  ;) ) on the table near the obedience ring (or wherever the judge has designated as the area for motivators to be placed) so she can rush out and get it when she has finished working.