Author Topic: Handling classes...  (Read 12777 times)

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
Handling classes...
« on: April 20, 2015, 01:09:22 PM »
I entered an adult handling class at a show at the weekend; and by some miracle qualified for the Coventry ladies adult handling finals at the City of Birmingham Champ show.

I have (several billion) questions:

Do I just need to apply for the class, or will they send me some paperwork (they took our names and addresses at the end of the class, and we got a card from CLKC?

I’m obviously not sure we’ll go, as it is a long way…and depending on which day the classes will be on…is there any way in advance I can know which day the classes are on – So far I’ve just seen “classes to be held over the duration of the show, with the finals on the Sunday”

Are there any good places to look for rules (I’ve found the Junior ones; am I right in assuming the adult ones are the same-ish)?

Are there any good books to read on it?

Lastly (for the time being) does anyone have any advice? I’m definitely inexperienced; I’ve been showing Charlie for a couple of years; but we’ve never done it very seriously or often…

Thank you in advance.
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Handling classes...
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 08:41:36 PM »
Can't answer your questions, but  :cool4: :happydance: what an achievement for you both :D
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Wenco18

• Donator
  • With Lottie and Lola in North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 09:41:50 PM »
Well done Emma x :shades:
Wendy, Lottie and Lola x

Lottie dob 26/04/09
Lola  dob  10/10/2011

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 10:36:46 PM »
Thank you both...although it was a bit of a fluke. I'll have to read up on it if we go to the finals.

Offline Wenco18

• Donator
  • With Lottie and Lola in North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 10:46:05 PM »
Hopefully someone can come along to answer your questions xx
Wendy, Lottie and Lola x

Lottie dob 26/04/09
Lola  dob  10/10/2011

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 11:15:17 PM »
Perhaps you could pm  Mod Jane or someone who would most likely be able to help  :D
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Pop-Star

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 08:29:09 AM »
Well done Emma  :D
Janet & Poppy

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 08:33:11 AM »
I know someone who could deffo help here. I will let her know you are asking. :)
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 09:55:07 AM »
I know someone who could deffo help here. I will let her know you are asking. :)

Thank you. All help is appreciated:)

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 09:57:47 AM »
I've read the junior handling rules.

Just a bit worried about the questions they might ask...

I have no chance in the finals, but if we go, I might as well know what to expect and enjoy it.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 02:27:48 PM »
Well done! I'm afraid I don't know anything about handling competitions but Jenny Oliver does I think - I'm sure she was a member here at one time but can't remember her username at the moment ph34r
Jane

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 09:42:23 PM »
Well done! I'm afraid I don't know anything about handling competitions but Jenny Oliver does I think - I'm sure she was a member here at one time but can't remember her username at the moment ph34r

That's ok, I was PM'd her username, so I'll have to compile a 'sensible' list of questions :).

Thank you :D

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 11:00:07 PM »
Well done on qualifying for the handling finals. All the details on where the finals are can be found on their Facebook page in the files https://www.facebook.com/groups/171940319512653/?ref=br_rs

If you have Marina White (now Marina Scott) book and or DVD, although aimed at junior handling, the Adult handling is just the same. You may be asked some anatomy, origins of your dogs breed and anything from a basic triangle and up and down to reverse triangles, L's, t's and the occasional figure of 8.

You should get an invite to the final provided that the show secretary submits the lists.  As they took your name, you should be ok.  Sing your praises by submitting your results toAndrea Keyte to have them in Dogs World too.

If you are at any shows with Meg Oliver between now and the finals, she would be happy to do some coaching with you or just talk you through what's happening. As I understand the finals this time, you can decide which day to take part and then there is a final on last day but this is a new set up for this year so new to us all

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2015, 05:19:49 PM »
Well Done on qualifying!  Yes, they will post you an entry form so that if you wish to attend the final you can complete it and return.  I think entry is about £5?   

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2015, 10:51:47 PM »
Well done on qualifying for the handling finals. All the details on where the finals are can be found on their Facebook page in the files https://www.facebook.com/groups/171940319512653/?ref=br_rs

If you have Marina White (now Marina Scott) book and or DVD, although aimed at junior handling, the Adult handling is just the same. You may be asked some anatomy, origins of your dogs breed and anything from a basic triangle and up and down to reverse triangles, L's, t's and the occasional figure of 8.

You should get an invite to the final provided that the show secretary submits the lists.  As they took your name, you should be ok.  Sing your praises by submitting your results toAndrea Keyte to have them in Dogs World too.

If you are at any shows with Meg Oliver between now and the finals, she would be happy to do some coaching with you or just talk you through what's happening. As I understand the finals this time, you can decide which day to take part and then there is a final on last day but this is a new set up for this year so new to us all

I have just bought Marina's book and DVD (both delivered today). I've found several good places for junior handling information - but I'm a total newbie to it, so it's still a bit confusing.

I've downloaded the 50 points to a dog document. I'm pretty sure I know a cockers heritage...although when I was being judged I was asked "what breed?" then I was asked "what group?" - both easy questions, but when the pressure is on it's a different matter haha. But I'll be swotting up just in case.

Andrea Keyte was the judge incidentally :). She gave good feedback afterwards as well which was really nice.

Ah, if I can pick a day that would be more convenient since we'll need to stay over. I was just trying to decide if I could show Charlie (on the Friday) and do the handling; or whether we go for 2 days...I've got plenty of time to decide.