Author Topic: Kong toy  (Read 3878 times)

Offline Rollo58

Kong toy
« on: July 09, 2019, 07:01:07 AM »
Hi please could you suggest a suitable Kong toy for our show cocker Archie who we collect in 3 weeks?
They are referred to often in the forum but unsure of their purpose.Are they designed to aid teething or for playing with to release treats inside?
I’ve seen a stick shaped Kong with grooves and also one that is sort of oval.
Thank you.

Offline Barry H

Re: Kong toy
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 08:57:35 AM »
I'm assuming your pup will be 8 weeks or so.  In that case, I'd forget about a Kong for the time being.  By all means get one later on.  Not all dogs will go for a Kong anyway.  Jack never bothered which annoyed me no end - I must've bought half a dozen different sizes with no luck!  For a baby Cocker anything and everything can be played with and chewed.  There are thousands of more interesting and exciting toys for pups so get yourself to your local pet shop and fill your boots!  Don't forget the squeaky ball - it will annoy the hell out of everyone...

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 01:52:15 PM »
humphrey had the pear shaped one with the hole in (a bit like the dummy one Mudmagnets mentioned but without the handle bit). They do various versions but we started with the puppy one.
I found them to be one of the best pieces of puppy paraphernalia in our whole „start up kit“!!
A bit of liver past smeared inside was a bedtime treat for ages, - he‘d happily go into his crate and the effort of licking it clean had him snoring away in no time!! I used to fill it a bit fuller (liverpaste and bits of dried food or whatever) if we had to leave him for a while.
Filled with joghurt and popped in the freezer, they‘re soothing for teething gums aswell.
They‘re „relatively“ expensive but more or less indestructable, Humphrey‘s still got his. (He’s 4 now) We don‘t use them as treats anymore but they can be used like a ball , because of the shape, they bounce in all directions so are quite fun to play with. Can certainly recommend.
Looking forward to hearing all about Archie!!

Offline IonaD

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 03:08:00 PM »
We got the puppy sized pear shaped for Bella and like bizzylizzy we stuff it with various food types etc to keep her amused. She still uses it now as the bigger one is too big for her.

She also loved the Wubba which is a squeaky type toy that she loves to play fetch with. One she has had for over a year, but another one I got for her she destroyed in a day. You have to be careful with these as the squeaky bits are quite small so could pose a choking risk.

To this day I have a basket full of toys for Bella...some she loves, others she sniffed once and decided they weren’t for her.

Happy shopping!!

Offline PaulJ

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 08:39:18 PM »
One of the best toys for our lad is a rolled up pair of socks. We also made a snake out of mini tennis balls and sock...all knotted tougher in a wriggly mess. An empty cardboard box kept him entertained too!

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2019, 10:32:10 PM »
My Archie (good name by the way!) had both the types you describe. He wasn’t interested in either - it didn’t matter what I put in them! I too wouldn’t advise forking out on one if I’m honest.

Offline Darwin

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 08:31:54 PM »
I’m a big fan (and so is Darwin) of the Kong Snuga Wubba.  It’s a fleece thing with tails.  The perfect puppy toy ( or for a soft toy mad 10 yr old cocker ).

Sorry to be negative but the kongs that you fill are just a successful marketing ploy.  They’re really refillable bones.  But we all make a major effort to give our cockers the best quality food, but then why give them something filled with basicly with fat ( liver paste / cream cheese / peanut butter ), it might keep them entertained but it can’t be any good for their stomachs or waist-line.  If you are going to use one try and some low fat and non human food mixtures to fill them with.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2019, 10:31:35 PM »
I’m a big fan (and so is Darwin) of the Kong Snuga Wubba.  It’s a fleece thing with tails.  The perfect puppy toy ( or for a soft toy mad 10 yr old cocker ).

Sorry to be negative but the kongs that you fill are just a successful marketing ploy.  They’re really refillable bones.  But we all make a major effort to give our cockers the best quality food, but then why give them something filled with basicly with fat ( liver paste / cream cheese / peanut butter ), it might keep them entertained but it can’t be any good for their stomachs or waist-line.  If you are going to use one try and some low fat and non human food mixtures to fill them with.

Humphrey has approx 300 g of raw food, which I mix myself, it‘s a balanced mix and I pay as much attention to the quality of his food as I do to our own. A small teaspoon of a good quality fresh cheese or liver sausage, (probably less than 5 g.) is in a kong, is unlikely either to cause havoc with the waistline or have any other detrimental health effects. I‘d be more concerned about the fat content of some of the dried skin chews or the chemical additives in many of the dog treats. Not all human food is bad for dogs,( although the same can‘t be said for some dog foods, unfortunately) but at least there is more control over the labelling so we can make more informed choices with regard to the quality.
The whole pet industry is based on clever marketing ploys and if we‘re quite honest, very little of it is really necessary but we indulge our dogs in the same way as we indulge ourselves.  ;)

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2019, 09:44:04 AM »

Am with bizzylizzy on this - my dogs love their kongs.  They're filled with wainwrights soft food/ kibble.  Nothing overly fattening, out of the ordinary or hazardous.  And whatever they get as chews/ kongs comes out of their daily food allowance.  It's easy enough to manage.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2019, 10:16:16 AM »

Am with bizzylizzy on this - my dogs love their kongs.  They're filled with wainwrights soft food/ kibble.  Nothing overly fattening, out of the ordinary or hazardous.  And whatever they get as chews/ kongs comes out of their daily food allowance.  It's easy enough to manage.

Yep! I would agree, managed sensibly, I can't see a problem either.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Gerryjane

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2019, 11:09:11 PM »
I use them too. I Use part of Toby’s daily ration .... using interactive feeders slows his eating as well, added bonus. He loves them especially on a longer car journey.

Offline lucybennett

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2019, 09:04:33 PM »
I use the pear shaped kong daily and Bailey loves it. A fantastic distraction when I need to leave him. I fill it with wet Lily’s kitchen- part of his daily food allowance too. Last forever and don’t know what I would do without them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline lucybennett

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2019, 10:46:54 PM »
Ps also meant today I love them because they feel safe. Don’t like to leave bailey with a chew etc that could get stuck...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Catie74

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2019, 08:40:22 AM »
My Bertie has a puppy king but adores K9 Connectables which he has in the starter and puzzle set. You connect it all together. There are YouTube videos to she it’s best use