Author Topic: Mouthing /Biting  (Read 1593 times)

Offline Rollo58

Mouthing /Biting
« on: August 12, 2019, 07:19:35 PM »
Hi everyone,
Archie has been with us for 2 weeks and now 10 weeks old.
We’re starting to worry a little as we are not sure what the difference is between mouthing and biting.
All I know is he is biting/nipping often as we hold him with varying degrees of pressure but also has spurts of wanting to bite our heels and feet with real force and commitment.
Tried distracting him and even leaving the room etc.
Archie is from a super breeder and am sure there isn’t an underlying problem it’s just not knowing how to sort it at this stage as I don’t want to be too aggressive in our response in case he becomes fearful.

Could we also ask at what age to start getting used to brushing and sitting/staying training?
Tried the palm of the hand in front to suggest stay and plan to step back with a treat as reward but he wants to jump up and sees it as a game.

Thanks in advance.

Offline PaulJ

Re: Mouthing /Biting
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 10:58:20 PM »
At ten weeks he is going to nip and bite. Teething, nervousness and just exploring with mouths are gonna mean it’s what pup will do. Be patient, praise desired behaviour, ignore unwanted behaviour. There is an article on here about bite inhibition training. You can also see what we went through recently with out pup, Zennor.

OH went through trauma with his nipping. Eventually it calmed down through us patiently working on the inhibition. The one day it just stopped...well until adult teeth started coming through  :lol2:

IMO don’t be in a rush with pup. Have fun a create the bond so you become pups world. Make sure he sleeps more than he already is...I don’t know how much sleep he is having but I know he will need more based on our experience with Zennor.

For me most important thing was to teach pup is recall. Sit and wait are the same thing for me so I do not differentiate between the two. What ever “training” you do just make it a game and have lots and lots of fun creating the unconditional bond that will reap rewards when training gets more serious later on.

There ain’t no rush with a pup, just let it happen naturally through play.

Offline Rollo58

Re: Mouthing /Biting
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 04:47:14 PM »
PaulJ,
Thank you so much for your reply and advice.Its really helpful and encouraging.