Author Topic: Puppy mouthing  (Read 1784 times)

Offline Jenn_Rooney

Puppy mouthing
« on: October 18, 2019, 08:28:12 AM »
Hi all I am a first time dog owner to our Cocker spaniel Bonnie :) she is a lovely affectionate girl who loves nothing more than having something in her mouth to carry about.

She loves cuddles, good with commands and has a lovely temperament. She is however still only 10 months old and still into mouthing other peoples hands and clothes. She doesnt do it to me, my parents or my in laws but is still surprisingly doing it with my husband. Myself, in-laws and parents have always been firm with this as I don't want her getting to adulthood still doing this and I don't want to think she will just grow out of it as most people keep telling me.

My husband loves her and she loves him but for some reason he is always the one she nibbles on lol. My husband thought this was cute and sweet when she was younger and didn't really do much to curb it. But now he is getting fed up with it and we are just looking advice on how we go about getting her to stop. I have noticed she does it to people she doesn't really know as well who come into our house. I always distract her with a toy and this works for a short period and then she goes back to nibbling. It also seems to be when she gets herself hyped up in new situations. Which I know is mostly her being a pup.

Any advice you all have would be greatly appreciated :)

Offline Lobo do Mar

• Donator
Re: Puppy mouthing
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 02:51:30 PM »
Hi, I wish Salty would only 'mouth'  :lol:
I am not the person to give advice, but just to make you feel better ....
Salty also gets snappy when he is tired or worked up, late evening (just before his bedtime at 9pm) is worst
He also only nips his owners, which is actually better than the alternative I guess - and now we realise it is 100% only to get attention
He is particularly fond of my wife's behind, and my legs and still thinks my daughter is his sister, so anything goes
We are trying, but unfortunately so is he, very trying  :lol:

Offline Digger

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 11:17:15 PM »
Hi there.
We had a really mouthy one.
The only thing that worked was exclusion. As soon as she did it- bang-'no biting'-you're out of the room. Immediately. No talking, no nothing, just pick her up and put her out and shut the door. Leave her for 30secs. If she does it again, same, but for 1 min. Again..1 min 30.etc.
You have to be committed to doing it every single time.
If you'd rather not pick the dog up, then leave yourself, but everyone in the room has to go. Immediately.
It's a pain in the backside but it really works. Cockers love to be with their people. To be excluded is the worst. Also, if they're out when they're ramped up, they're not escalating their behaviour and doing all sorts of other naughty things as well.
I do recommend this method-it's the only thing that worked for us and our cockerdile.

Best of luck.

Offline Lobo do Mar

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 04:28:43 PM »
Exclusion is the only thing that deters Salty too - even an extended arm pointing to the door with a sharp 'outside' works :)
The other thing that made a big difference for us was having a house line - which he only now has in his worst periods (usually just before bedtime)