Author Topic: help - puppy not eaten all day  (Read 2926 times)

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
Re: help - puppy not eaten all day
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2007, 10:10:20 AM »
oh yes good idea ive heard of that - ill try it as he hasnt bothered eating again this morning xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Teresa you maybe want to try get him to eat something ...scrambled egg...tuna fish...some plain chicken, that way you'll know he's perhaps just being fussy about his new food. If he wont eat anything, then give your vet a call ;)

you know where I am ;)

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Offline piewwiew

• Site Member
  • MAGIC
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2007, 11:42:43 AM »
thank you lisa

he has the runs this morning - will try that but he is so bright and playful i think he is ok

i will scramble eggs now and see will let you know

lisa r u at work?  if so naught girl get of col  :lol: :005:

love teresa xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline piewwiew

• Site Member
  • MAGIC
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2007, 11:52:53 AM »
oh my g - lisa :D

he just ate the egg as if it was his last meal -

so he must be ok then.  now do i continue with royal canin or change his diet again? i would like to continue with canin because its meant to be good and i bought loads.  im going to supermarket to buy natural yoghurt to put with it see what happens.

thanks everyone for all your advice.

:luv:

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2007, 12:17:09 PM »

lisa r u at work?  if so naught girl get of col  :lol: :005:

lol no i'm at home today studying....... ph34r...no I am honestly just having my lunch ;)
oh my g - lisa :D

he just ate the egg as if it was his last meal -

so he must be ok then.  now do i continue with royal canin or change his diet again? i would like to continue with canin because its meant to be good and i bought loads.  im going to supermarket to buy natural yoghurt to put with it see what happens.

thanks everyone for all your advice.

:luv:

try the yogurt...mix some scrambled egg  or tuna with his food, then slowly reduce the 'extras' over time so he's just on plain food when he's eating properly.
Call the vet if the runs carries on tho

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Cazzie

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2007, 12:26:21 PM »
Be careful with yoghurt it can upset their tummy its not good to give them too much of it. I wouldnt feed him yoghurt while he  has the runs. Mucking about with a pups diet is asking for trouble DO NOT keep changing it, please speak to you're vet for advice asap  ;)

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2007, 12:38:41 PM »
Be careful with yoghurt it can upset their tummy its not good to give them too much of it. I wouldnt feed him yoghurt while he  has the runs.

I didn't suggest giving gallons of yogurt ;)

Cazzie

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2007, 12:46:54 PM »
Be careful with yoghurt it can upset their tummy its not good to give them too much of it. I wouldnt feed him yoghurt while he  has the runs.

Didnt' say you did  ::) , she shouldnt give him yoghurt while he has the runs. As I suggested she is better to speak to her vet than mucking about with different diets as he will keep getting the runs.  ;)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2007, 12:49:23 PM »

Didnt' say you did  ::) , she shouldnt give him yoghurt while he has the runs. As I suggested she is better to speak to her vet than mucking about with different diets as he will keep getting the runs.  ;)

I don't think there is any need to argue - the whole point of this forum is that everyone is entitled to express an opinion and the OP can make up her own mind, surely?  :huh:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Cazzie

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2007, 12:55:28 PM »
That is very true and I aint arguing  :blink: . I am concerned about wee magic  :luv: , but its entirely his owners decision with what to feed him. But how long do you continue chopping and changing a pup of that age's diet? It is not goof for them. But bash on.

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2007, 01:09:44 PM »
Teresa If that scrambled egg goes straight thru Magic in an unpleasant manner then ask your vet for some advice

My suggestion was to simply add some 'flavour' to his new food to see if it makes a difference as it may be that he's not getting the flavour of the plain food and thats why he's not eating ;)

Offline piewwiew

• Site Member
  • MAGIC
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2007, 06:57:31 PM »
its ok lisa i did realise you only meant a little to flavour it

i appreciate everyones advice  and help and actually i am going to ring vet for peace of mind in morning anyway better to be a bother than to leave it

love teresa  :luv:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Cazzie

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2007, 07:05:00 PM »
Many people think that it must be boring feeding a dog the same thing everyday, but do not realise that supplementing a quality dry food with something else is like putting tomamo sauce on Salmon Encrute. We also assume that dogs are fussy or wont eat due to the taste factor. It isnt, dogs only have 17% of our taste capacity, lets face it if they can eat their own and other animals  Poo and many do then their choice of taste quality must be questioned.  :blink:

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2007, 07:20:07 PM »
We also assume that dogs are fussy or wont eat due to the taste factor. It isnt, dogs only have 17% of our taste capacity, lets face it if they can eat their own and other animals  Poo and many do then their choice of taste quality must be questioned.  :blink:

So why do some dogs often leave their purpose made dog food, but eat up things like meat, eggs, fish etc?

Millie

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2007, 07:34:48 PM »
one thing Teresa found out today is that Magic did eat scrambled eggs rather keenly which hopefully suggests that he is not completely off his food because he's poorly...which was my concern this morning

My guys have skinners duck and rice.. without extras. I add things like yogurt or scrambled egg or pasta if I find they seem to be having trouble eating (which believe me is rare). I dont do it permanently, although they now have fish oil  and George is having glucosamine as supplements. They have frozen yogurt kongs and homebaked biscuits occasionally a bit of my toast and marmite as treats :005:

COL'ers that supported me when I lost Harmy will remember that I fed Harmy whatever he would eat just to get something inside him, so it I believe it is a matter of trying whatever you can to help a situation as it is happening. 

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2007, 07:44:26 PM »
one thing Teresa found out today is that Magic did eat scrambled eggs rather keenly which hopefully suggests that he is not completely off his food because he's poorly...which was my concern this morning

My guys have skinners duck and rice.. without extras. I add things like yogurt or scrambled egg or pasta if I find they seem to be having trouble eating (which believe me is rare). I dont do it permanently, although they now have fish oil  and George is having glucosamine as supplements. They have frozen yogurt kongs and homebaked biscuits occasionally a bit of my toast and marmite as treats :005:

COL'ers that supported me when I lost Harmy will remember that I fed Harmy whatever he would eat just to get something inside him, so it I believe it is a matter of trying whatever you can to help a situation as it is happening. 

agree completely lisa ;)

all of your suggestions would have been things i would try with jarvis from puphood to now.

and like you i would have been tried anything for Harmy if it meant he would eat it.

as for yoghurt, if possible i would keep away from cows milk variety  but goats milk acidophilous yoghurt (in appropriately small doses for pups) should help re-balance the 'good' bacteria in the gut.

helen & jarvis x