Author Topic: What's The Best Diet  (Read 2754 times)

Offline wendy

• Site Member
    • http://www.luthame.net
What's The Best Diet
« on: September 07, 2004, 06:04:34 PM »
After Finley bad experience with the injection I am really looking into all aspect of his care - what do people think is the best diet - I have been led to believe that Hills science plan is the best, however when I have been researching about injections I came across this statment from the canine care group

[I
]Commercial diets should be carefully chosen. Your companion is at the mercy of your good or poor judgment in selecting foods. Cats and dogs which have free access to the outside can to some degree supplement their diet. Otherwise, they are totally dependent on you. Science diets and Hill's dog and cat food products are not good diets. They use chemical preservatives that have been shown to cause problems in some animals, and they use by-products, which are words on the ingredient label that need to be avoided at all costs. This generally means food not utilized for human       consumption. If you feed a carefully selected commercial food, some supplementation with fresh food is necessary to maximize your companions' health. Raw poultry, beef, lamb, or rabbit and occasionally liver should be added to the diet at least three times per week, and fresh vegetables in small amounts should also be offered.[/I]
What do people think - I want the best diet for Finley, we would like to show him if we can, both our other dogs were fed on Wafcol.

Wendy
Visit our new website
www.luthame.net

Dogs leave paw prints on your heart

Offline PennyB

What's The Best Diet
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 06:10:14 PM »
Like you after a scare with Wilf I looked into diets and decided that Burns and Naturediet were the best so in the end all my pets now get Burns (including the mogs). Its also ethical as well (as some petfoods aren't)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
What's The Best Diet
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 06:17:20 PM »
Yep its Burns and Nature Diet, for us too.  :)  Well when i say us, i don't mean literaly.   :lol:  
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
What's The Best Diet
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 06:36:58 PM »
I use Burns, naturediet & butchers trip mix  :)  I also use the AMP natural frozne products, such as the raw tripe & the raw mince beef heres the website Prize Choice. You can buy them from Pets at Home in the frozen section. If you go to the burns website Burns they will tell you who your local retailer is as not everyone (including PAH) stock it.

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
What's The Best Diet
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 07:58:26 PM »
Burns here too  :D  

Offline Birtles

• Site Member
What's The Best Diet
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2004, 08:15:58 PM »
JWB here

Offline niv

• Site Member
What's The Best Diet
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2004, 08:30:52 PM »
i use pedigree chum for pups and iams puppy dry food any coments of the food i use meaning good or bad? :unsure:  

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
What's The Best Diet
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2004, 09:39:09 PM »
Well I am using Hills at the moment with raw tripe & all mine seem to be thriving  :)  
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
What's The Best Diet
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2004, 10:11:05 PM »
The raw tripe does go down a treat...if you've got a strong stomach  :lol:  :lol:  

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
What's The Best Diet
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2004, 10:14:56 PM »
niv Posted on Sep 7 2004, 08:30 PM

i use pedigree chum for pups and iams puppy dry food any coments of the food i use meaning good or bad?   

Both brands are popular and are not "bad". The reason so many people on this forum go for naturediet/burns/jwb is that they dont have additives, colourents and E nos that "supermarket" brands tend to be full off.

I fed my last cocker on pedigree complete and it suited him - no problems whatsoever . I only changed brands with this pup because over the years Ive become very worried about whats been entering the food chain and the effects they have on us and if Im not prepared to eat these things it follows I dont feed my animals :).

So for us its naturediet and JWB with the odd raw chicken wing to make things interesting :)
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
What's The Best Diet
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2004, 10:21:27 PM »
Hhhhhmmmm food for thought there. Vahri and Rufus are both on Hills. Vahri is on the light diet and Ruffy on the puppy version - have to say though Ruffy is often not nice to ne near!!!!

Might rething when restocking comes around.  

Offline Ollies Mummy

• Site Member
  • 8th July 2003 - 13 July 2009
What's The Best Diet
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2004, 11:54:55 AM »
I obviously seem to be the only one using Autarky - a dry complete natural food for working dogs...

They used to sell it in some Tesco's but now we get it from a local Animal Feeds place in 15kg bags.

Ollie seems to like it the best from the ones I've tried and doesn't give him an upset tummy and doesn't seem to be a "windy pops" no more!!

Alison & Dearly Departed Ollie - now waiting at the Bridge xxx

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
What's The Best Diet
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2004, 12:02:45 PM »
I use Nutro, I used to feed Blue on Autarky but as a fussy eater I found I was having to mix a bit of everything with it just to get him to eat! :blink:  but since changing to Nutro he is heartily eating and has even gained a little weight too  :D  
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
What's The Best Diet
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2004, 12:24:07 PM »
I feed Burns. I moved Jazz onto burns from approx 12 weeks old and haven't looked back since. He coat is shinny and she is FULL of energy.

She is a on the lean side, which they say is not unusal for Burns, but I wouldn't change of anything now.

Cathy
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline Laura

• Site Member
What's The Best Diet
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2004, 02:33:28 PM »
I feed Naturediet to my 2.  The chicken Naturediet has a higher percentage of chicken in it (60%)  than the majority of chicken nuggets we eat ourselves!! :blink:

Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09