Author Topic: Willow not liking having her harness put on.  (Read 746 times)

Offline maddy74

Willow not liking having her harness put on.
« on: August 26, 2011, 10:52:29 PM »
Weve always used a harness for walks and got a seperate one for the car, of late she Willow has started acting really strangely when I try and put it on her. Once I say walkies she is excited, then I put her collar on, she is fine, then as I go to put her harness on she runs away. She lies on her side to avoid having it on, she never used to be like this, she is fine once it is on and will then jump up excited once on and looks forward to her walk. I did check with OH and my dad to make sure they hadnt perhaps caught her skin or something in the clasps but both say they havnt, cant work out why she is suddenly like this. Any ideas how I can get her used to having it on again, such an ordeal to get it on her now  :'(

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
Re: Willow not liking having her harness put on.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 07:19:23 AM »
Teva is like that, and we have no idea why :-\
We used to put her up on a small table to put on her collar and harness, feed lots of yummy treats
and we also used a clicker.
She is now 15months old, we no longer put her on the table, as she doesn't run away! But, she
still doesn't really like it :shades:  :D

Offline seaangler

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 07:35:37 AM »
Can you try holding the harness and tempt her with a treat..This way she mite associate
 the two together..can but try!!!.Chris

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline kalami

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 08:18:40 AM »
Bella's the same, she's 4 now, used to be really difficult, alot better now.
 It's like a little ritual. I get her collar she gets all excited, we put it on, I pick up harness, she runs off, I say 'come on Bella' she ignores me, I say 'now', she comes begrudging over, harness on, she gives me a kiss, I tap her bum and say upstairs, back to being excited Bella.

I keep saying I'm going to start putting her harness on first collar second to see what she does.

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 11:41:20 AM »
Reuben is like that because he hates having things put over his head.
You can buy harnesses with a side fastening to avoid putting it over Willow's head. Or you can train her to put her head through the harness herself. Start with clicking and treating for looking at the harness. Then C and T for touching it. And build up to C and T for putting her head through it.

I took the easy way out and just switched to walking Reuben on a lead and collar.  ph34r

Offline seaangler

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 11:47:39 AM »
All are harnesses we have had so far..fit under from there left leg..none go over there heads!!!All you do is say paw (left paw) to are peggy to lift up and its on..The red one we use for salt/fresh water and the new black one for every day usesage....

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline maddy74

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 05:48:24 PM »
Thanks for your advice. The harness we have for Willow doesnt go over the head, we had an over head one in the past but she grew out of it, she used to try and bite it so put a treat at the other side and she was fine. We have two harness', one for a walk and the other for the car she is funny with them both, might go back down the click and treat route but I dont know whether i will have a spare pair of hands as she flops on her side, and is like a heavy limp lettuce leaf..... its a nightmare.....  :005: :005: :005: :005:

Offline Juno

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 07:06:34 PM »
Maddy, Juno used to be fine but has recently become totally 'paralysed' once her harness is on!  She literally lies down on her side and will not budge an inch.  It's a good fitting comfy one and she lets me put it on her though :huh:

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 07:49:33 PM »
Have to say Freya is exactly the same, hates having it put on and will hide. I make her know i'm serious so she slinks over. I get it on as quickly and comfortably as possible then make a big fuss saying good girl and shes bouncy and ready to go! Just the putting on bit she is silly with

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 09:08:23 PM »

If she used to be fine and now isn't, it might be worth checking with the vet that she isn't in pain anywhere around where the harness lies.

If she gets the all clear, then as others have suggested, go the click and treat route.  :D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline maddy74

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 09:22:15 PM »
I dont thinks it uncomfortable on her as she is fine once its on. She is fine on her walk and will trot around in it inside too. We have two harness' and she is the same in them both....  :-\

Offline michelle77

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 11:43:16 AM »
Louis started biting recently with his harness (over the head one) and does the same when we attach the lead (which i do from the side), he is fine wearing it once it is on.  The last couple of weeks he got better but has now regressed again   >:D , so i have gone back to treats

Offline lynnruby

• Donator
  • Ruby
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 03:13:04 PM »
Same here....Ruby hates having her harness put on. As soon as it's on though and she sees her lead, she is very excited! Once it's on she would happily wear it all day.....it's just putting it on??
Lynn