Author Topic: Chewing...  (Read 459 times)

Offline Rolo12

Chewing...
« on: September 17, 2012, 09:13:38 AM »
Rolo is nearly 6 months now. Since he lost his sharp puppy teeth we haven't had many problems with biting/chewing.
Although he still sleeps in his crate at night, when we are out he has the run of the living room and usually sleeps on the sofa. For the last month or so this has been the case and we haven't had any probs at all.
However, the last couple of weeks I have been working away and my partner works longer hours so Rolo has been on his own for a bit longer than usual. Someone always comes home at lunch and walks him but he is still getting bored (being an intelligent dog this is what i would expect)
So he has been chewing our sofa which we are rather fond of and it hasn't even been paid off yet!
He is going to have a few more long days and then after that I will be at home a lot more.
My question is what do you suggest we can do for these few days to avoid him chewing the sofa?
Caz :)

Offline only1cliff

Re: Chewing...
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 09:29:25 AM »
Could you leave him with a stuffed kong and some more chew toys/rags?
We put some of lokis feed into a kong and block them in with some peanut butter. So far so good

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 09:30:31 AM »
I'll be watching this thread with interest. Archie started this at a similar age and to be honest he now chews EVERYTHING that is soft - sofas, cushions pillows, duvets, clothes etc. I now cannot leave him unattended in any room but the kitchen. It doesnt matter if im in or out! However, I have found that deep heat spray is very effective at repelling him from the sofa. Spray it on when Rolo is not near it though, you don't want it to go on him. I also provided Archie with charity shop soft toys. The mess is dreadful but if he must chew, I'd rather it was those. He has a treat ball for when he's left which keeps him pretty occupied too.

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 10:27:07 AM »
I think they go through a secondary chewing phase when their back teeth come in. Jem did. I left things like a cardboard box around for her to destroy. It does make a mess but rather that than the furniture!
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline beanbag

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 08:13:57 AM »
My parents dogs favourite chew thing is a plastice cola bottle. My dad squashed it down so nothing can cut her when she bites it but she loves it. They have got damaged skirting boards (sp?) from where she has been chewing becuase of her back teeth and the bottle is the only thing thats kept it at bay.

Offline maddy74

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 10:50:33 PM »
We give willow several stuffed kongs when we go out usually filled with mashed wet kibble and put cheese spread on top to keep her occupied for longer. She also likes pureed carrot and potato frozen in them.

Has he got a stag bone,Willow loves to chew these.

I find on the days after Willow has been to an agility or obedience training class she is more tired the following day. Are there some local classes you could attend the night before? Also on days where ive had to leave Willow for longer ive got up an hour earlier than usual to not only give her a good walk but to play some, 'Find it' games in the house so she is mentally tired half an hour before I go out.