Author Topic: Initial enquiry for a rookie !  (Read 4161 times)

Offline Richantsmith86

Initial enquiry for a rookie !
« on: June 01, 2018, 11:10:28 AM »
Hi all,

Our lovely blue roan, Oscar, is 5 years old. A work colleague has asked me whether I would consider breeding him with her bitch. I have never really considered this and know nothing about it. I guess our concerns are if we proceeded, would he just hump everything in site for the foreseeable future?! He gets so much joy off the lead it would be unthinkable to restrict him to lead walks only.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you - Richard.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
Re: Initial enquiry for a rookie !
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 01:10:09 PM »
Have a look at Jane's thread above yours
This is taken from it

Managing the Stud Dog. Once a dog is used at stud, it is not unusual for his personality to alter to some extent. Some have a tendency to mark their territory indoors (cocking legs on furniture etc) and may be more likely to wander off the lead in search of in season bitches. Once a dog has been allowed to mate one bitch, they will generally want others! Some may also become more aggressive to other male dogs (due to sexual competitiveness). The potential stud dog owner needs to decide whether they can cope with these possible behavioural changes.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 02:37:19 PM »
Please have a look at this link http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=63629.msg925471#msg925471 , which explains about the DNA and other health tests that at least one potential puppy parent should have before being used for breeding.

If Oscar's sire and dam were both DNA tested clear of the medical conditions that can be DNA tested, he will be hereditarily clear. If you're not sure of the testing status of his parents and they are KC registered you can check if they were tested on the KC website and see the results. If they were untested or the results show they are carriers of, or affected by, conditions please have Oscar fully tested if you decide to use him at stud.

Dogs can become a lot less tolerant of other males, and a lot more interested in females, once they've been used at stud, so that's a consideration too.

Finally, and this may sound brutal given that I don't know your work colleague as ultimately it will be her decision to breed or not, she sounds as though she's done very little research into breeding sound, healthy puppies if she's not looking for a health tested stud dog but is asking a work colleague who happens to have a male Cocker Spaniel.

Offline Barry H

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 09:06:27 AM »
...she's not looking for a health tested stud dog but is asking a work colleague who happens to have a male Cocker Spaniel.
This was my thought, too.  Could be she's looking to make a few quid on the pups...

In an idle moment, I've thought I'd love to see my own (entire) Cocker's pups - but I think your concerns are realistic.  If he's a happy, easy going chap at the mo', then it's not worth the risk of him changing for the worse.  What he's never had, he'll never miss.

On the other hand, you could tell her that you've looked into breeding a little and his stud fee will be £4,000 based on his pedigree and average expected number of pups - plus a further sum for health testing of both dogs (if not already tested) - with a no pups disclaimer should he fire a blank.   :lol2:  Might be worth it just to see the look on her face...

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 08:41:25 AM »
Thanks for the tips guys. I've had people come up to me in the street asking me if I'd like to breed my dog and I have considered it however I don't think I will now. He's does mark everywhere outside and does try to semi hump other dogs if I give him half a chance. He rarely gets agressive and hardly ever barks. He hasn't nicked off after any females either yet I was wondering if he would change if i used him as a stud dog and now that I know he might I can't do it as I like him just the way he is.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 12:08:20 PM »
Coming in at a slightly different angle - my entire lab (no longer with us) was out in the garden and a female in season came looking for him  >:D

They mated (Tied for the correct term) before I could get to them - I contacted the owner of the female and they came to fetch her

Obviously when the dogs are tied you should NEVER try to pull them apart

YES it did change my dog as anytime he smelled a female in season he would leg it  >:D

This wasn't arranged it was something that happened (we live in the country and the female was our neighbour who lived 3 fields away) My neighbour took the female to the Vets and she was given an injection so there were no pups from this little accident  ;) and she was spayed later.

I also received a bottle of wine off the neighbour  :shades:

So my answer is yes it can change your dog and TBH I wouldn't be happy if both dogs weren't tested prior - sounds to me that your work colleague is looking to make a quick buck  >:(