Author Topic: Spotty Cockers  (Read 5813 times)

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
Re: Spotty Cockers
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2006, 07:27:25 PM »
I have always thought that Fern is liver/white ticked rather than roan? What do you all say?

'Scuse the inelegant pose. (I caught her napping for once!)
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2006, 07:33:07 PM »
As far as I know, the way to tell whether a dog is an 'and white' (whether heavily ticked or not) or a roan is to look at the pads on their feet, if all the pads are solid black they are a roan, if they are patched with black and pink then they are an 'and white'  :blink:.

Cayley.

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2006, 07:33:56 PM »
I have always thought that Fern is liver/white ticked rather than roan? What do you all say?

'Scuse the inelegant pose. (I caught her napping for once!)

And she's going to sleep with her rope and... tinfoil??? What is that under her head?! :005:

Of course you had to throw us a tough one! >:D :005: Her shoulders are ticked, I would say, but the rest of her is roan. Hmmm...
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2006, 07:37:32 PM »
As far as I know, the way to tell wether a dog is an 'and white' (whether heavily ticked or not) or a roan is to look at the pads on their feet, if all the pads are solid black they are a roan, if they are patched with black and pink then they are an 'and white'  :blink:.

That's apparently true, I was going to mention that.

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2006, 07:43:02 PM »

Of course you had to throw us a tough one! >:D :005: Her shoulders are ticked, I would say, but the rest of her is roan. Hmmm...

:lol: I'd lean towards Liver roan too... I think.  :lol:

I think it can be harder sometimes to tell the difference with workers as they tend to have less coat than their show cousins - so the roaning on the back can sometimes appear to look like ticking ( Fern appears to have both roaning and ticking). Either way, both Fern and Alfie have beautiful markings.  :shades:

Offline happydog

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2006, 07:43:20 PM »
And she's going to sleep with her rope and... tinfoil??? What is that under her head?! :005:
 :o Do you mind -that's her Christmas pressy! (It does look rather like tinfoil in the pic though  ;) .The rope and now 'pup' are her constant companions  :005:

Her other side is completely different  ::)  :P
happydog

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2006, 07:53:21 PM »
Oops, sorry, I didn't mean to insult Ferns baby! ph34r :005: I couldn't tell from the pic what that was.

Goofy lot of mine would sleep with their heads on tinfoil I think!  ::)

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2006, 08:50:21 PM »
Agreed; both Fern & Alfie have very attractive markings. ;)

Also, sometime the ticking is very negligible - eg Gilly's Gracie is registered as B&W but has a very small amount of ticking.

Domino is more like Gracie; he is B&W but does have a minimal amount of ticking on his legs & on the white patches on his body.

They're all gorgeous,whatever colour they are!!! :shades:
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2006, 08:59:58 PM »
my ellie is a liver and white but she only has two biggish liver patches one on her eye and the other on her back.she has lots of ticking.so much so that when she was little poeple often asked if she was a liver dalmation puppy :005:

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2006, 10:51:55 PM »
Any particolor breeder has the potential to breed a ticked dog so theoretically they aren't all that hard to find.

Not strictly true - you only get "and white ticked" pups if both parents carry for this pattern. We currently have three orange & white ticked Cockers and one black & white ticked (all belonging to the same family) but our other blue roan line (different family) never produces ticked pups or "and white" pups because the gene isn't there. I know quite a few particolour breeders who only ever produce roans for this reason. In recent years, the broken colours (including "and white ticked") haven't been so common in UK show lines but there seem to be a few more about now which is nice to see :D

Jane

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2007, 12:48:41 AM »
Yes Gracie B&W ticked but you really have to look hard to see the ticks, she has about 5 little ticks apart from the couple on her face, it's a fine line between B&W & B&W ticked with Gracie.

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2007, 07:37:59 PM »
but are they registered ticked or just black and white or liver and white etc?
ellie is registered as just liver and white.

Offline waisis

• Site Member
  • Mr. Big Paws
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2007, 08:11:47 PM »
Also here in the UK there's no such thing as a Red Roan or a Red & White.
When we were looking for Bailey (from the US), I had been inquiring about Red Roan and Red & White as well b/c we had seen the pics.  None of the breeders I talked to knew of anyone who had those and thought I was nuts.  I think they are technically a possibility, but doesn't seem like many people breed or have them, even in the States
Bailey and Mom

Offline happydog

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2007, 08:54:43 PM »
Fern is registered as liver/white. I expect the ticking/roaning wasn't obvious as a young pup.
happydog

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2007, 09:04:55 PM »
Fern is registered as liver/white. I expect the ticking/roaning wasn't obvious as a young pup.

Alfie is registered as a blue roan. He was very, very light as a pup, his body was almost pure white  :luv:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/