Author Topic: Help/advice please  (Read 1307 times)

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
Re: Help/advice please
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2014, 09:36:12 AM »
Hi Trev
welcome to COL :D
You have been through so much I'm sure
Mol is a great comfort and good
companion to you.
We have my sisters staffie at our house in the daytime
as her husband died in 2012 and he used to
look after the dog. She goes home after a walk when I get
in from work,
I know it's not the same situation but have faith
that a solution can be found...
are you friendly with anybody local who
has a dog or dogs that she could go to?
I do hope things work out for you both.
steffxxx

Offline Trev

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2014, 10:10:58 AM »
Thank you all for your very kind words and advice. My daughter is studying nursing due to what happened to her mum and Molly was around all the time when she was helping me look after her. She cannot bear to lose Molly now either. I'm DEFINITELY keeping her and will look into all the suggestions kindly offered here. Thank you

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2014, 11:06:44 AM »
That's great news, good luck and be happy
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2014, 11:33:42 AM »
So happy you have decided to keep Molly  :D
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Abbie105

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2014, 11:40:57 AM »
Have you tried www.borrowmydoggy.com

I have a friend (newcockerparents) on here that use them and love it. It is designed for people who would love a dog but for whom circumstances don't allow a full time dog.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2014, 12:46:28 PM »
The other organisation you could try is Cinnamon Trust.  Although usually for people who need help with their dogs for health reasons, they may be able to help.

Personally, I think that as already said, it is company that a dog sometimes needs during the day, not necessarily a walk  so if there is anybody you know that could pop in, have  a cuppa, let Molly out for a wee, change her water and do a bit of ironing  ;) ;) then she will be fine.  (I would rather that than be worrying whether she is safe on a walk with somebody else)

There is plenty of support on here for whatever you need, none of us know what is round the corner.  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2014, 08:13:57 PM »
Pat, I contacted Cinammon for someone else, and they told me their services are for older people only, unless circumstances are very exceptional.  I would advertise for a retired person to come in and spend time with her, and make it well worth their while financially, which presumably you can do with a new job.  It's a long time for a dog to be on her own and it seems the other posters in similar situations have more than one dog, so at least their dogs have company.  Hope you both get sorted soon.  Keep us posted.

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2014, 08:39:07 PM »
I agree with Min and Julie1. We cannot guarantee that our lives will not change when we take on a dog. Just the same as having children and a parent leaves; we adapt and have to make the best of it. In an ideal world a dog wouldn't be on its own all day but we don't live in an ideal world and dogs are amazing creatures. I'm sure you will give the time you have to Molly and she will adapt just fine.

It would be great if someone could help out with a bit of company during the day as well but if this is not possible then I would still keep her and see how it goes. Good luck and I hope it all works out xx

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2014, 08:40:36 AM »
I agree with Min and Julie1. We cannot guarantee that our lives will not change when we take on a dog. Just the same as having children and a parent leaves; we adapt and have to make the best of it. In an ideal world a dog wouldn't be on its own all day but we don't live in an ideal world and dogs are amazing creatures. I'm sure you will give the time you have to Molly and she will adapt just fine.

It would be great if someone could help out with a bit of company during the day as well but if this is not possible then I would still keep her and see how it goes. Good luck and I hope it all works out xx

Well said, please don't let her go until you see how thing go, give it a few months, get a camera. if you can turn a blind-eye to anything naughty she does, think "it's my fault not hers",   life is NOT perfect :'(.   She loves you & you love her, that's what's important.    Good luck with the new job, who knows something else may turn up soon.    All the best Julie.
regards from Julie & Kez