Author Topic: 5 month old puppy with diarrhea  (Read 3604 times)

Offline leeca401

5 month old puppy with diarrhea
« on: February 21, 2013, 07:15:30 PM »
Hi

Maggie our 5 mth old puppy has had either extremely soft poo's or diarrhea for the last couple of days.  She wasn't going constantly until she cried at 3am this morning (which she hasn't done in weeks) to go out and then also had a small accident in the hallway today which again is unusual as she hasn't had a toilet accident in weeks.  She is eating and playing as normal and doesn't seem out of sorts in anyway, apart from this  She is on James Wellbeloved but we are going to try giving her just chicken and rice for the next day and see if that makes a difference if not I'll be giving the Vet a call on Saturday morning.  In the meantime does anyone have any suggestions, advice, words of reassurance and wisdom they would care to impart?

Offline AndyB

• Donator
Re: 5 month old puppy with diarrhea
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 10:38:08 PM »
If there is no improvement tomorrow then definitely a visit to the vet.  You can't be too careful with a young dog.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 10:42:46 PM »
If she's well in herself and is drinking then don't worry too much. Hopefully the chicken and rice will do the trick and the diarrhoea will stop quickly.

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 10:53:58 PM »
Poor little Maggie!

Just to let you know that my puppy (now 9.5 months) has had stomach upsets every couple of months since he was tiny (just diarrhea and the occasional being sick), but was always fine in himself - eating fine, drinking fine, happy otherwise. A couple of days on the chicken and rice and he was cleared up. The last time this happened though (during the snow) it didn't seem to clear up properly (after days of c&r) and so I called the vet nurse to ask if I should get his poo tested, just to find out if there was anything wrong. I got some sample tubes from the vet nurse, which then got tested, so I didn't even have to pay for the vet appointment - just to get the tests done (£82!). It turns out that he had a bacterial infection called campylobacter, so it was worth getting him tested (although he hasn't suffered anything other than occasional squidgy poos). He's been on antibiotics and earlier this week a follow-up sample was sent off to see if it had cleared up (will find out tomorrow or Monday if it's gone). I don't know if this is what he had before, but there are various infections that can linger and reoccur if they're not treated. He hasn't grown for the past few months and the vet nurse thought that the bug might have been preventing him from using the nutrients in his food to grow.

It might be worth talking to the vet or vet nurse about it before you go in - it makes more sense to go armed with poo samples! My vet is loathe to give out antibiotics without being sure it's a treatable infection (and quite rightly so), so the poo sample was very important in determining the way forward.

I'd suggest giving Maggie c&r for a few days and then gradually re-introduce the other food.

Sorry - this may not be very reassuring, but it might be useful. Let's hope it clears up on its own and doesn't come back.

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 08:06:36 AM »
Just a thought, my 2 girls were on JWB chicken and rice when they were puppies  :luv: and they were fine, but then like your pup they too started with soft poo and then diawotsits  ph34r. So I tried them on the duck and rice flavour which they seemed fine on again. But the cycle started all over again  >:( so I changed their food completely (over time) to a different brand and the rest is history.
What I'm trying to say is not all kibble suits all dogs  :luv: JWB is a good food but maybe not suitable for your pup ?? x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 08:51:41 AM »
Hope Maggie is feeling better soon  :luv:  Like Poppsie I changed my food - Roly has always been quite sensitive to particular foods.  As a pup he was on Burns puppy which he loved but it didn't seem to love him and which meant if he had any rich treats then the problem was doubled.  A change of food sorted it out though we had to try a few.  We moved to a JWB fish for puppies and he was fine, but then when I went to move him on to JWB junior it started again.  In the end it was Arden Grange that has always been the best for him. I would wait and see if the chicken and rice clears it up, but if it reoccurs then possibly try a change of food.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline leeca401

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 04:18:25 PM »
thanks for the advice.  Maggie went to the vets this morning and the vet gave her a shot and some tablets and also some special food.  She then went and had a run in the park  :005:  So hopefully we'll be able to sort her out

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 04:44:38 PM »
I have always found Autarky to be a good puppy food but I decided to wean my last litter on JWB but changed it rather quickly as the had runny poos. Back to Autarky ;)
Chicken and rice is good to sort this sort of thing out.
A comment was made that a 9.5 month puppy had not grown for a couple of months. IMO this is quite normal as most cockers reach their full height by around 6 months. Luna (aged 4.5 months is now as tall as her mum)
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 04:48:17 PM »
White fish and rice is also good. I buy the cheapest frozen white fish and keep some by in the freezer for just such events. Hope he's feeling better soon.

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011