Author Topic: Dentist  (Read 1284 times)

Offline Mari

• Site Member
Dentist
« on: August 12, 2020, 10:17:47 PM »
How often do you bring your dogs to the vets for proper teeth cleaning and x-rays?

I had a really bad shock last year when I took Laurië in for cleaning her teeth and they found a couple of loose teeth in the back of her mouth. It had been a few years since her last visit to the dentist, but I didn't expect any serious problems. After all, she was eating normally, playing tug and chewing sticks without any signs of discomfort. Finding out she had those bad teeth made me feel like the worlds worst dog owner as that obviously would have been painful and I had no clue. The vet I was at did not do any x-rays, but I trusted that his assessment was good enough.

Now, a year later, I took her to another vet and they cleaned her teeth and did x-rays. She needs several tooth extractions. I am horrified! To think that my happy little cocker has had toothaches and I have been clueless about is really upsetting. This time nothing was loose, everything looked fine, not even that much tartar. But, with the help of anaesthesia and imaging diagnostics the changes under the surface were revealed. Hopefully we discovered it before it caused her pain this time.

It made me think though. We humans are recommended to go to the dentist every year, and they always take x-rays to check that no issues are hiding below the surface. I haven't really followed that advice for myself, but from now on both me and my dog will have yearly visits to the dentist. Possibly twice a year for the geriatric cocker who cannot tell me if she has a sore tooth. And I will be wanting x-rays and proper anaesthesia every time. Clearly there are no shortcuts when it comes to dental health.

Just a reminder of how important dental care is from someone who learned a valuable lesson. This is my Laurië. napping comfortably during her visit to the dentist. Safest possible anaesthesia for an old lady with breathing tube and i.v. fluids. There's even a heating pad under the blanket for her :luv:

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Dentist
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 06:21:27 AM »
Oh bless her :luv: !!
My vet always has a look at teeth as part of the general check up but I‘ve not heard of xrays being done as routine. My own dentist doesn‘t xray either unless there‘s a specific reason to warrant it.
Don‘t beat yourself up though Mari, just because teeth needed extracting doesn‘t mean Laurie‘s been in pain, I‘m sure she‘d have let you know if she had been,  eating would have been difficult for one thing.
Get well soon little lady! (She actually looks quite chilled on the photo, dreaming of sticks and swimming in lakes, no doubt!)

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 09:30:03 AM »
She was very chill, even high strung little cockers are chill under general anaesthesia  :005:

Thanks for your kind words!  :luv: Last year, when the two teeth were loose she would have been in pain, just hiding it well. But this year I'm hoping we caught it in time.

I probably wouldn't do yearly x-rays on a young dog without any tartar. But I've learned now that if they need teeth cleaning then x-rays should be done. And if they need any extractions x-rays are a must. Many vets do teeth cleanings without general anaesthesia and without x-rays. This is outdated and not good enough. Make sure your doggie dentist uses gas anaesthesia with breathing tube and does x-rays. My current vet does this routinely and they say they've discovered so many hidden and painful issues that way.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 10:03:11 AM »
Oh Laurie  :luv: you are such a sweetheart.
Have to say, a dental check up is not something that I would do as a routine appointment.  I am not sure our vet does either, I hadn't really thought about it in the same way as human dentistry.  It's a very valid point though and definitely something well worth considering. 
Hope Laurie has recovered from the anaesthetic and is enjoying a little extra pampering  :luv:

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 03:07:15 PM »
Oh Laurie a sweetheart..... she always looks such a darling.  Here in UK have not heard of dedicated animal dentist possibly at large posh city vets in London - usually the vet checks Ollie teeth at his 12 month check up...last year when he had the health scare and old gentleman's surgery she took opportunity to clean and remove several teeth while he was still sedated. At twelve years old combining the two things while sedated was best.  She said all was well last month when he saw her. 

I would be guided by your vet regarding x-rays and dental cleaning- they really seem to be great with Laurie :luv:  Over the years have had several different types cleaning products from the vets that I have used and maybe they have kept Ollie stable - but last year made me really clean the little monster teeth.....he of course has to have a treat after :luv:

Big hugs to Laurie :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 07:50:17 PM »
No not me either, the vet looks at their teeth at their annual-fifteen month check up. And I would only expect x-rays if there was a suspicion or it was obvious (i.e. abcess etc) that there was something seriously wrong.

On the permission form for General Anaesthesia. and I suspect  other procedures too, all vets carefully state that 'there are risks with any procedure and things can go wrong', in which case why take this risk if there is no need.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 10:51:53 PM »
You are all very kind to make me feel better  :blink: This time I will start brushing her teeth daily, don't want any more of these nasty surprises.

We don't really have dedicated dentists here either  :blink: But some vets will take an interest in teeth and get more training and education on it than others. At my clinic they have one vet that has extra training on dental stuff, one with an interest in surgery and one who has internal medicine as a focus area etc. Most vets do a little bit of everything, but they usually have an area of interest that they are better at and have more training in 😊 

Yes there is always a risk with anaesthesia, good point. Luckily it's a very small risk if they use gas anaesthesia and have properly trained vet nurses to monitor the patient during procedures. But dental cleaning without a breathing tube carries a serious risk too. If dirty water from teeth cleaning procedures finds its way into the lungs, then a very dangerous  bacterial pneumonia can develop.

Of course if you have been good about brushing teeth every day (unlike me ph34r ) and your dog does not have tartar or gingivitis, it makes sense to not do dental cleaning or anaesthesia. But if they do need dental treatment then proper gas anaesthesia and x-rays is the safest way to do it! And the only way to guarantee they are pain-free.

I understand and am happy to hear that people trust their vets, I do too. Every case is different  :blink: But it is helpful to know that when it comes to specific treatments some vets know more than others and sometimes it can be useful to check where their area of interest is and what type of training they have after vet school. I will still trust my old vet, but for dental stuff I will follow the advise of those that are more up to date on the best treatment available for that specific area of vet medicine.

Sorry I go on and on  :021: I just did some reasearch and found out that dental problems and pain related to it is very commonly overlooked in pets. Most of us don't realise that our dogs will still eat and behave normally even with painful teeth.

Laurië had really good teeth for a very long time. I guess I should expect some dental issues in a 14 year old dog. Time to start brushing more often!

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 05:52:34 PM »
It's done! I feel a mix of relief and guilt  :005: Laurië does not have very many teeth left. She had to be under anaesthesia for a long time since so many teeth needed extraction. I cannot get over how innocent it looked on the surface compared to what the x-rays revealed. But she is home now, sleeping off the drugs. My poor, sweet, little old lady! And my poor, cahectic wallet >:(  Laurië was very brave  :luv: I will never again hesitate do do yearly teeth cleanings. That short anaesthesia and frustrating bill is nothing compared to today's ordeal  :016: So happy to have her home again after such a trying day for her  :luv:

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2020, 07:00:51 PM »
 :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: dear Laurie from Humphrey and me!!, :luv:

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2020, 08:16:18 AM »
Brave girl Laurie  :luv: Make sure you milk it now gorgeous girl, lots of TLC and special soft foods for you.  Work the spaniel eyes and go for it!  :005: