Author Topic: Sebateous Adenomas  (Read 1281 times)

Offline AlFIEJAN

Sebateous Adenomas
« on: October 02, 2020, 01:13:02 PM »
I have a cocker who is now 12 years old. He has numerous wart like skin growths, which my vet says are Sebateous Adenomas. He has had 4 removed, they have been tested. However, as soon as one is removed another pops up. When they are on his body, like his head, he doesn't bother with them, but any on his legs he licks continually and makes them sore so they bleed. I am running out of options as to what to do. Having a general to remove them every few months is not an option, for his health and my bank balance.

Has anyone else had this problem. I understand cockers are prone to them?

Any suggestions would be great. They can't be removed under a local as he's not that compliant when it comes to vets!

Offline pam1

• Donator
Re: Sebateous Adenomas
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 02:11:03 PM »
Hi, I’ve been watching this thread with interest, but no one seems to be able to offer any suggestions.
I’ve got exactly the same problem with both my two. They both have them on their leg, Ollie went through the stage of nibbling his so I took him to the vet and they just gave me a cortisone cream which didn’t really help.
I just basically keep an eye on them now and do put silver cream on a couple of times a day. I definitely don’t want my 11 year old having a general anaesthetic unnecessarily.

Pam, Oliver and Bertie

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 03:38:43 PM »
Sorry no helpful advise really. Not sure if there is anything you can do, other than having them removed when they bother him. Laurië is sprouting a fair few little lumps as well. Always something to worry about!

I'm not too worried about the short anaesthesia necessary for removing little skin lesions like that. It doesn't take long, and if they have nurses with proper training in anesthesiology, gas anaesthesia, iv fluids and fancy machines that go beep  :005:, the risk is pretty low, even with senior dogs.

A good idea could be to do a pre-anaesthesia blood test to make sure liver and kidneys are strong and ready to filter the drugs. I know there is a risk, but for every surgery there is a risk/benefit evaluation. Constant discomfort from skin lesions are sometimes worth the risk of a short surgery. And a pre-op blood test could help lower the risk  :blink:

Laurië (14) has had one removed, and she now has two that I'm thinking will need removal soon, I am keeping an eye on them for now. I chose to not send the lesion we removed for histopathology. I know that ideally all lumps should be analyzed. But since my cocker is 14 and the lumps are small isolated skin lesions, I am saving that money. It's technically a risk, but I think maybe better than not removing them at all when money is tight.

Brutal truth is that if one of them turned out to be cancerous there really isn't many treatment I would put her through at her age, some, but not many. I would likely do what I do now and make sure she is happy and comfortable for as long as I get to keep her. So I just asked the surgeon to make a good margin around the lesion we removed. If she was younger or the lesions looked scary to the surgeon I would send it for analysis. But wart-sized superficial skin lesions in a 14 year old is to be expected so when the surgeon felt like he could make a nice margin I saved the money for that analysis. I can invest it in the next op  ;)

I guess it's another evaluation for us owners to make with our vet. One lump at the time. Always wondering if we made the right decision  :005:

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2020, 07:51:15 PM »
Mari, I am so glad you are on the forum, that was a good, clear and measured response.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2020, 08:20:33 PM »
When Mari mentions the way things are done in Norway and the dental work her Laurie had a few months ago, I wondered is it the same over in UK. Not suggesting we are in the dark ages but just wonder if it is done the same.

My vet had to do a hernia repair on Ollie 18 months ago and he was over 11 years old and it was a big concern around the anaesthesia for me... my vet is wonderful and she said his heart etc was strong and reassured me.

Ollie went to the vets around 9.30 am and I was told to phone after lunch and collected him at 2.30 pm, I expected a sleepy bemused dog...instead I got an eager Ollie pulling with all his might to reach hubby and I and head for the door pronto :luv:  so maybe the days of heavy sedation are over.

I am sorry I cant help with actual advice other than some sort of cover - which no doubt he would remove.  If he really has a go at them on his leg what about buying a adjustable inflatable collar to use only when it is needed.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 04:50:29 PM »
Thank you ejp, that's very nice to hear :blink: That said, I am only speaking from my own experience and limited knowledge, and I could be wrong about so many things. Not to mention there could be treatment options available in the UK that still is not commonly used in Norway. For cancers and many other things. Like for cataract, perfectly treatable disease if you live near a surgeon who does that kind of procedure. Good luck finding a surgeon like that in my tiny, little country  :005: The only people we can really trust with these questions and decisions is our vets.  I don't know the standard anaesthesia protocol everywhere. But over here they use really safe options in most clinics. Much of the same drugs we use for people.

Jaysmumagain: Dental work varies from clinic to clinic over here too. A small, independent clinic outside the big cities is not likely to do a full set of x-rays or gas anaesthesia for a dental cleaning. It costs too much. I just happen to know two clinics that are part of two big chains. Not the cheapest options, but they are not afraid to adopt the newest practices even if that means it costs more. They do also have the opportunity to invest in vets and nurses when it comes to training and further educations in specific areas. I'm curious (nosy?) so I ask a lot of questions about why and how and what's best :005: I think when you trust them with your pet you are allowed to ask what type of procedures they follow and why they deem that to be best choice.

Offline AlFIEJAN

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 01:53:01 PM »
Thank you for all the replies. I was just beginning to wonder if it was only my dog.
Think I'm just going to have to have any removed that irritate him and leave the rest. Not bothered about cosmetic only his happiness.
Creams etc have not worked and this time they removed seven on his legs. If he has to have anymore removed, it will be short anaesthetic and one at a time, as he is now 12 years.  Vet says not to have his hair groomed so short, if he can't see them, then maybe he'll leave them alone?

If anyone does come up with a miracle cure or anything, then please let me know. Grateful for all your responses so far. Thank you for taking the time.