Author Topic: How to stop licking?  (Read 955 times)

Offline ziglu

How to stop licking?
« on: October 05, 2020, 08:41:36 AM »
Hi all. Lulu had developed a small bloody lump on her ear but we can't get into the vet's for a few days yet. I don't think it is anything sinister as our last cocker Ziggy had one same place which the vets removed and everything was OK. But with Ziggy we could put bandages, plasters, or baby socks on her to stop her licking or scratching and nothing would not bother her. But with Lulu she is completely different she will not have anything on her body that should not be there LOL. So is there anything I could put on her ear that would she would not like the taste of without harming her. She paws her ear where the lump is then licks her paw this goes on for hours, and if she has been laying on her ear she will continue to lick the area she has been laying on. She will let us touch the lump so I dont think it hurts, it must be giving a smell / taste of that gets transferred to her paw.

Offline PennyB

Re: How to stop licking?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 12:48:07 PM »
Will she not even have an inflatable collar on. If I have to use buckets I use the clear ones (the frosted type probably is part of stuff that freaks them as they can't see properly). There's not anything you can really put on them to stop this other than something physical.

Mine hate them at 1st but they do get used to them
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Mari

• Site Member
Re: How to stop licking?
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 04:19:14 PM »
I would go for the cone of shame sooner rather than later. It's the best way to break the habit of licking and prevent further damage. I know some dogs can be really funny about having a cone on, my own dog becomes the most pitiful creature when she has to wear one. But they usually tolerate it well when they get used to it and realize it's not coming off. If she is already in the habit of pawing at the lump, chances are she's going to need a cone after having it removed anyway to protect the stitches. Might as well get used to it, poor thing  :blink: