Author Topic: Cracked Pads  (Read 2678 times)

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Cracked Pads
« on: January 16, 2004, 05:29:46 PM »
Does anyone know of a product that will help with cracked pads? Vegas cut his pad last week and the way in which it has healed has left another crack to his already vast collection. :roll:  He keeps getting grit etc caught in it and has been limping for the past week. We have tried the socks with rubber soles and the mikki boots but as soon as he starts to walk, they just start flapping - no matter how tight they are tied. I have been bathing it with saline after every walk but I really need something to deal with the cracks :?:                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Cracked Pads
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2004, 05:46:39 PM »
Gill - try vaseline or Paw Wax and then strapping a sock on - that'll help give it time to absorb before he gets it all over your floor and pulls the sock off :D  If he tries to chew the sock, you could try a coned collar to stop him.  Might sounds a bit drastic - but if it means it gets chance to heal it'll be worth it.

I would also ease off the walks until it's healed. I know that might be hard, but of the boots won't stay on, it'll not get a chance to heal.

Poor lad - must be sore when he gets stuff in it :cry:                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Cracked Pads
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2004, 10:10:21 AM »
Thanks Pam - never thought of Vaseline :roll:  Went and bought a big tub - think its going to be a long process :wink:  Cutting down the walks has been easy as it has been tipping down with rain every day :lol: Hopefully it will start to heal soon as I can't stand the woeful hop-along routine that I'm being subjected to :wink:  :lol:                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Nat

• Site Member
    • http://www.crazycockers.homestead.com
Cracked Pads
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2004, 03:52:59 PM »
Hi Gill

I too was going to say Paw Wax., good thing with that is its water resistent I've been told, so would be good for road walking.

Robinsons Equine Company do little booties for dogs with foot problems...they just slip on over the foot, and its ties with valcro, and is totally waterproof..

HTH too                    
Nat

Simbarra Cocker Spaniels
www.crazycockers.homestead.com

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
Cracked Pads
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2004, 04:48:33 PM »
Hi Gill,

Another good thing to use if Vitamin E oil or cream.  I recently had Pippa with the same problem (too much walking on the beach).  They soon got better - we got her some baby socks from Tescos (she looked so sweet in them) and as Pammy suggested, we rested her for a few days and she was soon back to normal.                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

lynseyloo

Cracked Pads
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2004, 04:58:55 PM »
Hi Gill,

Another good thing to use if Vitamin E oil or cream.  I recently had Pippa with the same problem (too much walking on the beach).  They soon got better - we got her some baby socks from Tescos (she looked so sweet in them) and as Pammy suggested, we rested her for a few days and she was soon back to normal.

I know this is off topic but do you have any pictures of Pippa in her socks..would love to see her..  :D                    

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
Cracked Pads
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2004, 06:06:15 PM »
Hi Lynsey,
As a matter of fact I do have some pictures of Pippa in her baby socks and they are funny!!!!  :lol:   I'm away from base at the moment but will try and upload one on Monday when i am home again.                    
Linda
xx

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
Cracked Pads
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2004, 09:37:19 AM »

I know this is off topic but do you have any pictures of Pippa in her socks..would love to see her..  :D

Hi Lynsey - I have today uploaded one of the pictures of Pippa with her socks on1  She is in the new rogues gallery section!                    
Linda
xx

lynseyloo

Cracked Pads
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2004, 11:12:02 AM »
thanks Linda,

She looks great, I was awwwwwing all over the place..  :)

Hi Lynsey - I have today uploaded one of the pictures of Pippa with her socks on1  She is in the new rogues gallery section!