Author Topic: LiveUpdate and possible Hacking Problems  (Read 1503 times)

Offline Michele

• Site Member
LiveUpdate and possible Hacking Problems
« on: March 27, 2006, 11:23:32 PM »
When I try to run Livepdate it goes through the catalogue (it completes 22 of 22) and then I get the following....

The following updates have been aborted:
>Norton AntiVirus Virud Definitions has 1 aborted update(s)
Reason
LU1875  This update failed during its preprocessing welcome text phase

I went onto the Symantec site, did a search with the above reason and found this Trojan.Abwiz.F
I've downloaded and run the tool (in safe mode as instructed) and it says that I am not infected.

Why then can I not update on LiveUpdate?
I have thought about uninstalling and reinstalling from the Symantec site. I've made a note of my account details etc. Do you think this is the best solution, or can you suggest otherwise please.

ALSO

I've run Panda ActiveScan and under the 'Hackers' heading it showed I had 1 infection, I saved the report and it listed this

Potentially unwanted tool:application/altnet                                    Not disinfected               HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{CE9B37EC-D243-47A2-83DB-3A8350175193}

In simple layman terms can anyone please tell me what this is doing, is it harmful and how do I get rid of it.

thanks in advance
Michele

Offline BigJim&Kate

• Site Member
    • NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
Re: LiveUpdate and possible Hacking Problems
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 09:39:21 AM »
Hi Michele,

To be honest I would uninstall Norton and never let it see my hard drive again !!

There are loads of new FREE anti virus programs around now which do the same (if not better) job than norton. They also use less system resources.

Try downloading AVG free & spybot seach and distroy, these are IMO the best free software on the net ATM and have a scan through your pc (Remember to get all the updates and immunize your system with spybot)

Any probs, just Pm me.

Jim
Jim, Kate, Bails, Millie & Gypsy Working for
NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
NESSR / NECSR Cocker Rehoming Co-ordinator

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 06:05:04 PM »
Ok, after some great help (and much patience) from Jim, I have now installed AVG & Spybot serach & destroy.

Only thing is, as a great fan of Mailwasher (which I really want to keep) I need to know how to adjust my settings as at the moment unless I disable the AVG email scanner I can't open Mailwasher or Outlook Express...........help please!!!

Also can anyone tell me why my Windows Firewall gets disabled every time I connect to the internet. I can enable it again easily enough, but this is tedious every time we connect.

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 09:09:26 AM »
Hi Michele,

I don't think your Firewall is being switched off it is probably the firewall letting you know that the virus definitions are out of date for AVG. Does it look like the windows security icon with a red X through it in your toolbar? If so when you connect to the internet you need to right click your AVG icon and update, you will need to do this everyday to ensure your virus definitons stay up to date, this should cure the windows firewall problem  ;)

Regarding Mailwasher, you need make sure your Mailwasher settings are correct, like this:

MailWasher program -> Tools -> Accounts -> select the account -> Properties -> switch to Bouncing and outgoing mail ->SMTP server address -> Advanced account options -> Outgoing SMTP server -> enable My SMTP server requires authentication

If that is correct and still doesn't work, try re-downloading AVG http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5502/lng/us/tpl/v5, go to install it but choose the option ADD/REMOVE COMPONENTS, then tick the box for "personal email scanner" and then install.

Hope that works for you.

Offline Darren S

• Site Member
  • Me and Molly
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 12:02:01 PM »
Hi Michele,

To be honest I would uninstall Norton and never let it see my hard drive again !!

There are loads of new FREE anti virus programs around now which do the same (if not better) job than norton. They also use less system resources.

Try downloading AVG free & spybot seach and distroy, these are IMO the best free software on the net ATM and have a scan through your pc (Remember to get all the updates and immunize your system with spybot)

Any probs, just Pm me.

hahhhaaaaa Jim.

someone else who recognizes the many disasters of Norton......

As jim says there are many free antivirus programmes now.

Even F-Secure that offer a free 12 months trial to genuine Microsoft product owners.

Darren

Jim

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 01:46:09 PM »
Thanks for your comment Darren, I took Jim's good advice and will his brilliant help un-installed Norton and LiveUpdate.

To date AVG has worked just as well, if not better  ;)

I'll lock this now as the problem has been solved.