Author Topic: Internet very slow despite being on broadband  (Read 3650 times)

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Re: Internet very slow despite being on broadband
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2007, 10:58:14 PM »
Not too sure tbh seeing as Im on adsl :)

But look in control panel/network connections right click then status - should show what you are connecting at.

dont virgin have a freephone for cable customers -- 150?  Im on an 090 number - 25p a minute - about 50 quid this past week :((
Caroline and Alfie

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2007, 08:34:59 AM »
dont virgin have a freephone for cable customers -- 150?  Im on an 090 number - 25p a minute - about 50 quid this past week :((

This is if you take their telephone service too. We don't !

I got throuh to them in the end at around half 10 and after half an hour of rebooting the modem and PC and doing other stuff he told me their was some work being done in my area and it would get better in a couple of days...Thanks Bye!

What a Fobb Off.....will be back on the blower tonight if its the same.....

The guy was completely flumoxed by my wirelss set up too....pretty stanard I think - wire less router with the modem and a PCI card in the PC downstairs - he didnt understand why I had to keep running up and down the stairs!!

Janey

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2007, 06:50:23 AM »
Sounds about pretty standard for Virgin right now :(

One of the members of another forum I use for ADSL users has posted the transcript of the conversation he had with Virgin Tuesday - Virgin admitting they dont have enough servers for the amount of customers but hopefully will be sorted in July. No much consolation for me - out of pocket by over £100 so far since Ive been with them :(
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2007, 10:35:12 AM »
I've just done a Speedtest on mine (Virgin Media) and I'm getting an download speed of 3892 kb/s and an upload of 358 kb/s.

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2007, 10:50:23 AM »
We are with virgin too, we are having the same problem
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2007, 11:25:02 AM »
We are on Tiscali and had a problem from Sunday until Tues/Wed.   I found out (through other means) that at the main exchange in Manchester a broadband wire (!!) was earthed and this brought about mayhem to the good folks of Manchester, including the post office who apparently couldnt pay peoples pensions !  >:(

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2007, 01:54:46 PM »
Is anybody using a Motorola Surfboard modem with Telewest/Virgin Media? if any of you are go to this link http://192.168.100.1/config.html for webstar modems it's http://192.168.100.1/gscan.htm and follow the instructions below:

Heres how to change the 'Upstream Channel ID' on the SB3100.

* Go to modem Config Pages: http://192.168.100.1/config.html
    * Change Upstream Channel ID to a number immediately above or below what it currently is.
    * Save Changes
    * Restart Cable Modem
    * Run Speedtest on ADSLGuide.org.uk
    * Repeat above procedure and see which channel gives you the best speeds.

If none of the above applies to you try this forum http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2007, 10:03:35 AM »
I'm with Virgin Media too and am getting the following:

Download:  8753 kb/s
Upload:        367 kb/s

I'm on the 10mb connection, so it's not bad

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2007, 09:00:34 PM »
OK managed to get thtough again tonight after even worse download speeds this afternoon!

Expressed my displeasure and they agreed to get a manager/superviser to ring me. I was suspicious but 2 hrs later the phone rang.

We had in the meantime disabled the wireless access and plugged a cable from modem to pc to just prove its the connection - and thank god it was!

Anyway we have an appt for a technician t ocome round as they did some tests down the line and they think we have a modem problem....so the techy fella is coming out (no charge to us) and will not leave until its fixed...hopefully they will replace the modem !

So roll on the 6th July!!!! (they could do next week but we are on holiday) normal net connection might resume!

Janey

Offline SimonThePhotographer

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2007, 11:47:26 AM »
Ahh, I was too late for this.  It's almost always either (1) an exchange problem or (2) a local spyware problem!   :lol:

Glad you're getting sorted tho.

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2007, 10:06:20 PM »
Well the engineer/technician came round tonight within the 3 hour window they gave me...and believe it or not the modem is fine  :005:

He did a few tests and bizarrely the power lead to the modem was faulty and now that has changed we are getting amazing speeds...3932 DL and 360 UL. I think we have had this issue for months and it might even explain why our torrent D/Loads were taking so long...anyway I can now surf properly  :D

Janey

Offline SimonThePhotographer

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2007, 10:18:47 PM »
The power lead was faulty?  Well, Im not a broadband expert - but I can tell you in all the years i've been working in computing (and since BB became popular) i've never seen speed affected by a faulty power cable!   Wonder if the covered up another problem with a story?

Who cares!  As long as you're surfing at full speed!

(torrent download speeds however, depend on the seed and peer ratio, and also depend on ports being open on your router.  If ports are incorrectly opened, you'll see speeds of around 60k.  You need to (usually) open up UDP/TCP port 6881 on your router to get torrents to run at full speed.