Author Topic: New AVG update  (Read 5656 times)

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Re: New AVG update
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2008, 02:41:56 PM »
I would appreciate some advice on how to reinstall version 7.5 - it has disappeared from the AVG website.

I've still got the dowload file - maybe if you Google, somewhere might still have it available even if Grisoft don't.

I've got a dual core processor too but it's making no difference. Another problem I had was that it seemed to confict with Spybot - I was getting hundreds of pop-up warnings from Spybot yesterday whilst the AVG scan was running, saying exceptions and errors had occurred. The only way I could sort it was to uninstall Spybot.

Why do supposedly new and better things always turn out to be worse ?  :lol2: 

Offline Mrs T

• Donator
  • Harry 30/6/94-11/1/10
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2008, 03:50:31 PM »
Thanks Colin.

I Googled as you suggested but most sites have changed to version 8.   I then did system restore to the date before I installed version 8 but although the 7.5 icon appears on my desktop, it won't open.   I then tried to deinstall 7.5 but it won't let me!

I think they are going to lose a lot of customers the way this is going because even if I did consider paying, I wouldn't because I don't have confidence in it.

Pat

Phoebe went to the Bridge on 25/11/2012   :luv:

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2008, 06:00:24 PM »
Mine has always taken almost 90 minutes anyway :huh:  I can use it whilst it's scanning but it's hardwork as it's much slower :-\

Same here so I tend to scan whilst I'm not using the pc and getting the tea  ;)

I've also altered my settings so it only automatically scans every other day.

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2008, 06:27:21 PM »
We don't scan regularly. AVG protects your PC all the time, so we only scan about every month or so, if that!

OH works in IT and reckons that's fine.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2008, 10:56:16 AM »

Apparently updates for the old version will still be ongoing until Dec, not the end of May - I think I might go back to the old version and hope they iron out the problems of the new one before Dec.  ::)

I'm still getting the old version updates on mine so will hopefully wait until they sort things out
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2008, 10:58:00 AM »
The only thing I don't like about AVG is when you have a problem and post on their forum I get curt replies and they get stroppy if you post in the wrong place
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2008, 10:23:25 PM »
Dragging this back up as I was wondering if anyone was still having problems?

My scan takes 2.5 hours and I can't use the pc during this time as each time I try to I have a pop up message saying that windows has encoutered a problem and will need to close ::)

I rarely have a 2.5 hour slot free in the day when the PC isn't in use as 4 of us share it. 

I'm thinking of setting it to scan just once a week instead of daily.  How often do you all run a scan?
Mary & Lottie x

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2008, 06:38:16 AM »
I scan every sunday evening , I start it then go to bed  :D, that way I don't forget to do the scan.
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2008, 08:44:31 AM »
We scan very regularly - like twice a day or so...

If we use a credit card or paypal we scan again.....our pc is always scanning...we use new AVG and
SuperAntiSpyware and do them both at least daily.

We do download lots of torrent files tho and we have had some nasty viral infections in the past so we we are staying on top of it....

As an aside - do you all do the windows updates for XP?

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2008, 08:47:36 AM »
My pc does the XP updates automatically when I close down. My laptops are both vista thou
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline Jeeves

• Site Member
  • Mrs Bridges - International Love Goddess!
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2008, 01:29:10 PM »
I'm a bit dim when it comes to computer matters, but am I correct in assuming the FREE AVG is being phased out and that unless you pay for the new AVG 8 download, you're not going to be protected??
Parker, Mrs Bridges, Ronald and Jeeves (my Little Bear, no longer with us) and Nicky (that's me!)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2008, 04:08:35 PM »
No - you can still download the free version of AVG 8 HERE (I found the download via AVG's server worked better)
Jane

Offline Jeeves

• Site Member
  • Mrs Bridges - International Love Goddess!
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2008, 04:38:42 PM »
Excellent, thanks Jane! :D
Parker, Mrs Bridges, Ronald and Jeeves (my Little Bear, no longer with us) and Nicky (that's me!)