Author Topic: Passing on an old pc  (Read 3510 times)

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
Re: Passing on an old pc
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 06:32:49 PM »
If you have the original Windows XP disc then you can format your hard drive and reinstall Windows.  This will wipe your hard drive, but it will take a while to reinstall Windows.  You will also need to go to Microsoft's web site and get the updates for XP after you have reinstalled.

All of your information will be wiped clean, e.g. passwords, bank details etc.  No need to worry about drivers as Windows automatically recognises new hardware and installs the correct drivers.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 06:39:18 PM »
 You will also need to go to Microsoft's web site and get the updates for XP after you have reinstalled.

That's the bit that takes forever - OH did one last weekend; he cleaned the disk overnight using DBAN - installed the Windows XP disk in a couple of hours (and the anti-virus) and then spent the rest of the day connected to the internet downloading the service packs, patches and updates.... ph34r

Robbie - the reason my OH uses DBAN rather than just does a reformat and reinstall is because he learnt what could be retrieved when he trained in forensic examination....he said it was scary to see just how much can be recovered even after the system has been reformated  ph34r
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline seaangler

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 11:34:54 PM »
Or you can try this web site to erase your hard drive   http://www.winclear.com/?hop=contro71&gclid=COSc9Y_ajJgCFYwh3godQFFXDQ

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
Re: Passing on an old pc... u/d more help please!
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 05:53:32 PM »
I am such a silly c**  >:( >:(
I have the window disc but not the required code number. I kept all the instructions and user guides for every bit of the pc, but the certificate of authenticity was stuck to the pc and I didn't realise what it was and peeled it off one day cos it looked a mess  :huh: :embarassed: ph34r
Does anyone think I can get this from somewhere?

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2009, 06:25:29 PM »
If it's a Dell machine try going to their Home Support page http://support.euro.dell.com/support/index.aspx?country=uk&language=en and see if they will give you the code.  You will have to sign up if you haven't already done so.

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2009, 06:17:26 PM »
Is there a way to delete internet memory - further than your deleting temps and clean-up type stuff so if your computer is stolen no-one can get in and see where you bank etc?
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2009, 06:44:09 PM »
Is there a way to delete internet memory - further than your deleting temps and clean-up type stuff so if your computer is stolen no-one can get in and see where you bank etc?

Yes, but you need to do a forensic wipe (using the software I put a link to in an earlier post) and reinstall the operating system and software to guarantee even the most techie of wizards can't get it back  :D
Oldies Club

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2009, 06:49:55 PM »

Yes, but you need to do a forensic wipe (using the software I put a link to in an earlier post) and reinstall the operating system and software to guarantee even the most techie of wizards can't get it back  :D

Thought you Might say that  >:(
Don't want to do that, would just be nice to wipe the memory every so often but not the whole computer. Not to worry  :blink:

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2009, 10:00:12 PM »
You could install CleanUP, which is free, here. http://www.stevengould.org/  I have copied and pasted a bit of blurb below. 

CleanUp! frees disk space and reduces the "clutter" on your computer helping it to run more efficiently. It also can be used as a way to protect your privacy on the Internet. You can even instruct CleanUp! to securely delete files making it impossible to retrieve their contents using lower-level disk tools - just another way of protecting your privacy.

Offline superscot

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2009, 10:49:35 PM »
All very good advice but if I was passing on a Pc I would go for the reformat or even remove the hard drive ....You can buy them now really cheaply
A windows xp pro format should take around 1 hour to do depending on what format type you do ...full or quick .....Better to go with the full then that removes all previous installs ....The time consuming bit is loading back up all your software ....and hopefully you will have backed up all your email addresses along with your Favs for internet explorer .
It’s recommended that you format at least once per year depending on your usage of course ....I just back up to an external hard drive beforehand then move over what I want after the format

Cheers   

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2009, 11:41:41 PM »
You could install CleanUP, which is free, here. http://www.stevengould.org/  I have copied and pasted a bit of blurb below. 

CleanUp! frees disk space and reduces the "clutter" on your computer helping it to run more efficiently. It also can be used as a way to protect your privacy on the Internet. You can even instruct CleanUp! to securely delete files making it impossible to retrieve their contents using lower-level disk tools - just another way of protecting your privacy.

Am doing this  :D But just using the back-up tey recommend which takes forever

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2009, 06:39:35 AM »
A windows xp pro format should take around 1 hour to do depending on what format type you do ...full or quick .....Better to go with the full then that removes all previous installs ....The time consuming bit is loading back up all your software ....and hopefully you will have backed up all your email addresses along with your Favs for internet explorer .

It is possible to retrieve deleted/wiped data after a standard reformat though, so it depends who you are passing the PC onto and how sensitive the information that has been on the hard drive is as whether this is sufficient to keep your details secure  ;)
Oldies Club

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2009, 01:22:26 PM »
I understood from Coco's post that she is not passing on her PC but just wants to delete Internet sites and files.   

You can also download File Shredder which overwrites the files three times, thus making them impossible to recover.  However, if giving the PC rto someone else I would format the hard drive.  Although it's theoreticaly possible to recover files afterwards it's very, very difficult, and you need sophisticated software.