Author Topic: ipad questions (very basic!)  (Read 3071 times)

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
Re: ipad questions (very basic!)
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2012, 11:13:15 PM »
I'd suggest you pop into an Apple store or, failing that, John Lewis branch and try one out for yourself.

As for security etc. They're the only device that have been approved for use by pilots to keep their flight documents on and are also in use in hospitals all over the US and by several health boards in this country. They are not easy to break into when set up correctly and can be tracked, locked or even wiped remotely if stolen.
They work with both Macs and PCs and can import or export documents, photos or movies to either machine. The iPad cable plugs directly into a USB port to transfer data but can also do so via iCloud wirelessly. The contents of the iPad can be backed up to iCloud wirelessly or to your Mac/PC when synchronising it by cable or to both if you need to be extra safe.
The only software that needs installing on a PC is the latest, PC version of iTunes, a free download from the Apple website. This provides all the connectivity your iPad needs and provides a portal to the files on your computer.
If you're not sure on how to set it up I'd advise getting it from an Apple store as they'll set it up for you and give you some free tuition on how to use it.

Before making the decision though, I'd wait a few days, new mini iPads are due to be officially announced in a day or so and should be quite a bit cheaper but with similar capabilities and a smaller 7" screen.

If you really like the iCloud idea you'll also get a free Apple e-mail address with the cloud so you could be "**** ****@icloud.com" ;)

Bob. 

Offline Petepreston

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 01:32:01 AM »
Great reply there. Everything put in clearer way than my post.

I don't get Apple tactics most of the time, and this trend towards a bigger phone and smaller iPad seems a step closer to the competition. Oh, this isn't a tech forum. Sorry.   :shades:

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2012, 07:55:44 PM »
Great reply there. Everything put in clearer way than my post.

Thanks, that's me blushing now. :021:

The new ones are out by the way, starting at £269.

http://www.apple.com/uk/ipad/

I'll be placing an order for two on Friday.

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2012, 07:47:58 PM »
Didn't realise, but IPad 4 was released on Wednesday  :huh: http://www.itproportal.com/2012/10/24/hands-on-with-apples-new-ipad-4th-generation/

Offline DarceyTheDog

• Shutterbugs of shadwell
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2012, 10:51:07 AM »
I don't have the answer to your question but re security one of our doctors uses his iPad while out on visits but I think he's got an app that allows him to access the works computer rather than storing the info on the iPad I don't know for deffinate tho.
Katie, Darcey and Mitsy

Offline pipkoi

• Donator
  • Butch-my First Cocker Spaniel 18.02.67 - 28.06.75
    • Dylan's Blog
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2012, 11:00:18 AM »
Hi
True iPad convert here
Just a couple of quick responses as diving out of door
You can switch between mac Office programs equivalent and Windows Office.
Storage, there is iCloud but my recent find of the year is Dropbox. Totally brilliant, easy, any systems and FREE
I work for Health service & we are now using them in work for patient information etc.
Lastly, Windows bringing out their own Windows 8 tablet next week. Look at BBC Click they did a preview today
Pip, Dylan, Charlie, Teagan & Kai
Remembering Butch, Brin, Simba, Toby, Jasper, Jarvis, Jake,  Bayley, Sailor & Foxy - my forever bridge babies

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."