Author Topic: Basic question - brush recommendation  (Read 3623 times)

Offline JackieT

• Ziggy - working cocker
Basic question - brush recommendation
« on: February 27, 2015, 02:45:01 PM »
Hello. Ziggy is 7 months old and definitely losing puppy coat. At least, I think so, I find grooming all very confusing.

He's a black working cocker, so he doesn't need as much grooming as a show cocker, as far as I understand. Can anyone recommend me a specific brush that I can get that I can use to brush through the puppy coat? I've seen people talking about the elastic band thing, but I'm confused by what kind of brush I need to do this? Also, how long does it take for the adult coat to come through and the puppy coat to be completely gone?

Thanks
Jackie and Ziggy

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
Re: Basic question - brush recommendation
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 02:28:52 PM »
A slicker brush is a good type of brush to get through cocker coats. There are a lot of different types. I use a softer one to protect the coat and I just feel they are gentler on the skin also, however for the elastic band technique you need a comb. Any comb will do. You simply weave the elastic band through the teeth of the comb. A thicker stronger band is best. I use a band from the postman.  ;) You then run it along the coat at a slight angle so the band connects with the coat & gently pulls it. Hope that helps.  :D
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 02:50:14 PM »
I posted a photo of my comb interwoven with a rubber band ( also courtesy of the postman  :005:)   a few week ago.
My comb is a wide tooth steel one as it would be really difficult to thread the band through a fine tooth comb  :005:
I have seen other people's combs that have more bands on than mine but this one works for me and my two working girls.  :D

Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline chrisp

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 05:22:13 PM »
A slicker brush is a good type of brush to get through cocker coats. There at lost if different types. I use a softer one to protect the coat and I just feel they are gentler on the skin also, however for the elastic band technique you need a comb. Any comb will do. You simply weave the elastic band through the teeth of the comb. A thicker stronger band is best. I use a band from the postman.  ;) You then run it along the coat at a slight angle so the band connects with the coat & gently pulls it. Hope that helps.  :D

I used this method (and the postman's elastic bands  :005:).  It works a treat.  Mollie has a lovely sleek coat.  I did a little bit each day.

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 01:50:43 PM »
A slicker brush is a good type of brush to get through cocker coats. There at lost if different types. I use a softer one to protect the coat and I just feel they are gentler on the skin also, however for the elastic band technique you need a comb. Any comb will do. You simply weave the elastic band through the teeth of the comb. A thicker stronger band is best. I use a band from the postman.  ;) You then run it along the coat at a slight angle so the band connects with the coat & gently pulls it. Hope that helps.  :D

I used this method (and the postman's elastic bands  :005:).  It works a treat.  Mollie has a lovely sleek coat.  I did a little bit each day.

It's a simple, but great tool I could not live without !!  :shades: :005:

Offline JackieT

• Ziggy - working cocker
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 05:43:20 PM »
Brilliant, thank you everyone. Will look for a comb like that and hopefully end up with a lovely shiny puppy!

Offline Damommin

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 08:15:22 PM »
Super thread - thank you for starting it! I threaded a postie band through a comb and have just had a spratts 76 delivered. Both are fantastic and my Leo's legs are looking so much 'less lamb like'! I brush through his coat firstly with a cushioned pin brush then use the banded comb and I have been astonished with the fur collected by the comb. He has just turned 9months and the baby fur was starting  to come out easily between my thumb and finger so I knew it was time for a proper go!

Offline JackieT

• Ziggy - working cocker
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 11:17:44 AM »
Thanks so much for all the advice. I've now got a slicker brush and a spratts 76 comb. Got a bit confused with the elastic band thing, I think that's for a different comb, but I've ended up threading a loom band through it and it is getting off so much of his puppy coat. It's brilliant - and quite addictive  :005: Poor Ziggy must sigh every time he sees me coming towards him with yet another brush or comb!

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 02:48:47 PM »
You can use any comb, this is my sprats comb with postie band woven in.  ;)

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 05:21:35 PM »
Wow, Sarah - your eye sight is obviously better than mine!   :lol:  Putting the elastic band through my wide tooth comb  is bad enough  >:( makes my eyes cross, go out of focus and do other funny strange things   :o .  Your comb is much finer than mine and I just can't imagine my eyes or fingers coping with such a task  :005:  Sadly my postman no longer brings pretty pink bands, just boring brown ones now - so my comb can't compare to yours  :embarassed:   The amount of fur you get out with your comb is impressive though.  :D
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2015, 10:54:54 AM »
Wow, Sarah - your eye sight is obviously better than mine!   :lol:  Putting the elastic band through my wide tooth comb  is bad enough  >:( makes my eyes cross, go out of focus and do other funny strange things   :o .  Your comb is much finer than mine and I just can't imagine my eyes or fingers coping with such a task  :005:  Sadly my postman no longer brings pretty pink bands, just boring brown ones now - so my comb can't compare to yours  :embarassed:   The amount of fur you get out with your comb is impressive though.  :D

That is nothing on Dru !!   :shades:  :005: This is a sprats, but something like a 72 I think so the teeth are wider apart than the 76, although I have woven it through a 76 before too.  ;) Any comb will do though and it does not have to be as neat. That is just me.  :shades: ph34r :005: Our posties don't bring these bands either now, but I had a kind friend who sent me an envelope full of them from her office a while back, which I am working my way through. I will be devastated once they finally run out.  :-\ :shades: :005: