Author Topic: Visiting puppies  (Read 1150 times)

Offline lexi

• Site Member
    • Spaniel Photos
Visiting puppies
« on: August 14, 2011, 10:18:44 AM »
Friends have already been to choose their new pup from a litter which was born on August 2nd. At the time the puppies were four days old. Is it customary for breeders to allow visitors to see such young pups?? My gut feeling tells me it isn't but perhaps I'm wrong.

Thanks for your feedback. :D

"Always be a little kinder than necessary." J.M. Barrie
Lexi, Mac, Shadow & Galak (with Holly & Byron in our hearts)

Offline maddy74

Re: Visiting puppies
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 10:21:12 AM »
I would say that is too young but im not very experienced in these areas really. I am sure someone will be along soon with some advice.  :D

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 10:31:38 AM »
From what i can remember from similar questions,No it isn't usual for a breeder to let viewings/visitors in this early.

AFAIK,there is risk of infection and it's not fair on mum either.

I am sure there will be someone more knowledgeable along shortly  ;)
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline lexi

• Site Member
    • Spaniel Photos
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 10:39:09 AM »
AFAIK,there is risk of infection and it's not fair on mum either.

That's what I was thinking, too.  ;)

Offline cangrejo

• Charlie & Dexter, my beautiful boys xx
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 10:47:46 AM »
It does sound way too early.
Rosie, Charlie & Dexter xxx
Charlie 31/12/09
Dexter 17/06/11

Offline penfold

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 10:49:24 AM »
Not at all normal....usually around 4wks at the earliest for a whole variety of reasons  :o

Are you sure your friend actually 'saw' the pups rather than just visit the breeder?

Offline sands

• My pretty girls!
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 11:33:31 AM »
Totally agree Penfold.  ;)

When I was puppy hunting  I was told it was  normal to visit actual pups from 4 weeks onwards as it is too stressful for mum and there is risk of carring in infection before that (apart from the fact that breeders are so busy at this early stage).

Codas' breeder set up a blog page to allow prospective owners to view the pups progress from afar and then when pups were 4 weeks she welcomed us to visit whenever we wished.  Was a great idea as it let us see how the pups were developing and we felt as though we knew our pupster before she came home.

Wee Benji boy 10/2/1994 - 8/10/2009
Sweet dreams my wee man

Life's too short to worry about muddy paws!

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 11:39:29 AM »
I do not allow viewings until the pups are at least 4 weeks old. Mum gets stressed when WE handle the pups so would be absolutely beside herself if strangers were even in the same room.
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers

Offline louisedi

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 12:25:08 PM »
I always invite people over to meet my dogs & myself before pups are even born, then they come back at 4wks, even then I don't let them choice there pup

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 12:41:43 PM »
No absolutely not normal - bitches with newborn litters need privacy and peace to get on with caring for their pups and should not be exposed to the risk of visitors when pups are so young and vulnerable. In my experience, breeders that do allow visitors that early are either inexperienced (don't understand the risks) or they're more interested in getting early sales ph34r
Jane

Offline sandie72

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 01:58:21 PM »
I wasn't allowed to go and visit my breeder and pups until they were 5 weeks old...and then I couldn't resist but to travel to see them every week until they were old enough to come home.   :005:  :005:  :005: Breeder was great and said I could visit as often as we wanted.  ;)

Offline lexi

• Site Member
    • Spaniel Photos
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 03:22:18 PM »
Many thanks for your responses.

Are you sure your friend actually 'saw' the pups rather than just visit the breeder?

They did visit the breeder and even held the pup ph34r I received photos - pup's eyes aren't even open...

I just wish they had told me they were thinking about getting a puppy  :-\ I could have recommended a responsible breeder...

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 04:52:18 PM »

They did visit the breeder and even held the pup ph34r I received photos - pup's eyes aren't even open...

I just wish they had told me they were thinking about getting a puppy  :-\ I could have recommended a responsible breeder...

I think that is shocking......hope the mum was ok  :-\
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline penfold

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 07:20:26 PM »

I just wish they had told me they were thinking about getting a puppy  :-\ I could have recommended a responsible breeder...

I think that is shocking......hope the mum was ok  :-\

wow...I agree, shocking.  Poor bitch was probably beside herself :-(

Offline dewey

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 05:17:35 PM »
the lady i am having my baby from kept me informed the moment he was born sending me pics, she was great but i am not allowed to go visit for a few weeks which i totally repect. once i am allowed to visit i can go on a regular basis to bond with him before bringing him home. i feel very confident in the breeder and think my pup will be better for it.  ;)