Author Topic: Chasing his tail - any idea why?  (Read 651 times)

Offline michelle77

• Site Member
Chasing his tail - any idea why?
« on: August 10, 2011, 08:50:33 AM »
Louis has started to chase his tail in the evenings, seems to be a similar time of the night around 8.30-9.30pm he grabs the end and pulls himself in to a ball and growls at it, he rolls around and even falls from the sofa (not a big drop and on to a soft rug) this sometimes stops him and other times he is still scrunched in a ball with his tail in his mouth

does anyone else have this? do you think it is a boredom thing? or a habit i need to get him to break?

Offline Marina and Saartje

• www.cockerandfriends.nl
Re: Chasing his tail - any idea why?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 08:55:53 AM »
I think you should distract him from this behaviour, some dogs go on and on and drive themselves crazy with chasing the tail. Maybe his a little energetic, so take him out for a walk or start playing with him. Don't let him chase the tail, how lovely it looks now.
greetings,
Marina, Saartje and Teun

Offline michelle77

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 09:04:38 AM »
Thanks, i will try with the distraction, we made sure he had a nice walk yesterday which he did lots of running around but he takes ages to settle in the evening, maybe have to throw in a short walk around 8 ish

i was also wondering if i am giving him to many treats and as he eyes are wide like he is high on sugar.  i am going to cut right back this week to see if it makes a difference (might try some carrots as treats instead of the usual ones)

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 11:04:33 AM »
Could be an attention seeking habit - maybe you laughed at him first time - so he is using it as a way to make you notice him (good or bad he doesn't mind).

I do think some maufactured treats can send a dog hyper - just like kids and too much sugar really - it's getting the balance right
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline c19unn

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 12:25:57 PM »
Diesel does this sometimes - more often when he is sitting to the side and he catches the sight of it out the corner of his eye whilst wagging is but i just distract him with his fave teddy but waving it in front of him and throwing it so he runs after it and diesel forgets about his tail :)
My Mummy's name is Charlene
My name is Diesel

Diesel DOB:16-04-11

Offline Marina and Saartje

• www.cockerandfriends.nl
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 12:53:25 PM »
Thanks, i will try with the distraction, we made sure he had a nice walk yesterday which he did lots of running around but he takes ages to settle in the evening, maybe have to throw in a short walk around 8 ish

i was also wondering if i am giving him to many treats and as he eyes are wide like he is high on sugar.  i am going to cut right back this week to see if it makes a difference (might try some carrots as treats instead of the usual ones)

My dogs get only homemade treats, only dried meat, no sugar or carbohydrates, they get all crazy when I walk to the kitchen where the treats are, but when they got some they become relaxed again.
greetings,
Marina, Saartje and Teun

Offline primmer

• Murphy - working cocker spaniel
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 01:22:21 PM »
Murphy is 17 months old and still chases his tail - he loves spinning round trying to catch it and then he lays on the floor on his back and rolls. It doesn't always last long but when he finishes he sits and looks at you with a big smile on his face
Rachel and Muphy x

Offline c19unn

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 10:43:38 AM »
Murphy is 17 months old and still chases his tail - he loves spinning round trying to catch it and then he lays on the floor on his back and rolls. It doesn't always last long but when he finishes he sits and looks at you with a big smile on his face

Aww thats sooo Cute
My Mummy's name is Charlene
My name is Diesel

Diesel DOB:16-04-11