Author Topic: Camera recommendations please?  (Read 4821 times)

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
Camera recommendations please?
« on: December 10, 2012, 12:35:50 PM »
I have a Panasoni FZ150 (I think it's that model  ph34r)
stats for it here: http://m.dpreview.com/products/panasonic/compacts/panasonic_dmcfz150/specification

I quite fancy an SLR camera, but I'd like one that has a fast shutter speed (mine does have a fast shutter speed but it looses all quality and goes really dark), so using it normally the shutter speed is a little slow.

Can anyone recommend a sort of beginner/middle of the range camera that has a decent shutter speed on it (for dog/bird action shots)?

I quite like (and did like, before I bought mine I did like the Panasonic SLR as it wasn't too big and bulky) however, I don't understand all of the spec stuff to know if it is decent and if there are a selection of lenses (there were only 3 when I looked a couple of years ago)). :(
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
Re: Camera recommendations please?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 01:14:49 PM »
Found this for you.  ;)
http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/round-ups/538939/best-dslrs-2012-best-entry-level-dslr-and-upper-entry-level-dslrs
and
http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/digital-slrs/best-digital-slr-for-beginners-49286113/
I have a Nikon dslr and love it  :luv:
An important consideration for me was that it had a viewfinder  ;)  I just can't get on with a screen at the back.
Even an entry model will be able to give you a fast shutter speed and the flexibility to try new things.
You do get used to the weight and the size and I never begrudge carrying my camera when it gives me good results.  ;)
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 01:21:13 PM »

Aww brill, thank you.

OH's brother has an Nikon and I've borrowed it but I didn't like it (but I think it was because his lenses didn't do what I wanted them to do)...

I'd like a viewfinder too, but I'd also like a screen :)

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 01:22:51 PM »
I'd like a viewfinder too, but I'd also like a screen :)

Most dslrs give you the chance to use both.  ;)

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 01:30:39 PM »
Those sites look pretty good and basic - I don't understand all of the technical stuff but they explain it in just enough detail :).

We need to decide which model we'd like and then keep our eyes peeled for any sales (although a hallway carpet is more important :().

Do they also come with an automatic setting, so I dont need to do any fiddling? I'm guessing they do...

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 01:44:07 PM »
I have a Canon EOS 1100d
http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS_1100D/
It is an entry level DSLR. Not bulky and easy to use  :D
Viewfinder & screen, fully automatic if you want it to be, so not necessary to fiddle  :D

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 01:52:35 PM »
Do they also come with an automatic setting, so I dont need to do any fiddling? I'm guessing they do...

Yes, they come with automatic setting so you can get used to the camera.
I think it is important that you also go into a camera shop (increasingly rare) so you can get a 'feel' of a camera in your hands. Some makes just don't feel right somehow.
You can ask where certain settings are and see if they are easy to use.  Some models have the settings inside the menus whilst I prefer settings that I use a lot, to be on the camera itself.
You can always buy on the internet afterwards  ;).

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 03:24:19 PM »
I have a Canon EOS 1100d
http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS_1100D/
It is an entry level DSLR. Not bulky and easy to use  :D
Viewfinder & screen, fully automatic if you want it to be, so not necessary to fiddle  :D

My old camera was a Canon 1000D and I loved it - it was great as a first SLR and I really learned a lot with it. Think they are brilliant for starting out with.

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Jenna

• Bailey Boy!
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 12:10:26 PM »
I have a Nikon d5100 but I've gone through a few cameras. It does amazing things and has all the features that I want. I've always gone for the beginner option and ended up frustrated when it couldn't keep up with my progression as a photographer. And the accessories aren't as extensive as the mid-level cameras.

And it has all the preset buttons so it turns into a really good entry level camera at the turn of a dial. Really simple to use and I'm not sure if it's the same in the UK but I got sent on a free course when I bought mine. They went through the basics and all the features of the camera.

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 12:20:38 PM »
I half fancies the D5100 when I looked months ago but I thought it might be a tad expensive...but I'll have to look again.

I mentioned to OH's brother that I'm interested in a SLR so he's helping out/advising what I should be looking for too  :005:

Offline Jenna

• Bailey Boy!
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 01:00:32 PM »
I half fancies the D5100 when I looked months ago but I thought it might be a tad expensive...but I'll have to look again

I bought mine in a package deal with two lenses, memory cards and bag so worked out cheaper than Canon's entry level dslr.

But it has ended up costing me a fortune... I am a sucker for accessories and gadgetry. I have a mean tripod, a remote control, extra lenses, lenses filters, reflectors, strobe lights, flashes and a host of extra batteries, memory cards and shoulder straps in various designs.

As I said... it's the first camera I've had that has so many available accessories and I'm taking full advantage of that fact.

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 04:22:41 PM »
Wish I had known you were looking Emma cos Groupon were doing the D3100 with extras for about £300 a few weeks ago. I have the D3100 and I'm really happy with it - the auto settings are good - I just need a photography class now :/  Getting photos of the dogs is really, really difficult cos they are not still for a second...Helen's photo tips are brill though.

Good luck! x
Roxy b.19.05.10  Bobby b.21.08.11
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs think I am.

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 10:30:37 AM »
I had a Samsung Galaxy camera for Christmas, daren't tell OH that I really don't like it and wouldn't recommend it, think that was £400 down the pan  ph34r