Author Topic: Nikon D3100  (Read 3647 times)

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
Nikon D3100
« on: June 17, 2012, 06:59:26 PM »
Have just ordered one - does anyone have one or know anyone who has one? Hope I have made the right choice - it's a minefield out there!

It's my first DSLR camera and I can't wait to see what the pics are like from it
Roxy b.19.05.10  Bobby b.21.08.11
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs think I am.

Offline grracee

Re: Nikon D3100
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 07:33:16 PM »
I have had this one for about a year now & love it! Still learning how to do lots of new things on there but until I properly understand I just use the auto mode ;) Hope your pleased with yours, I was and still am with mine :D

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 07:35:45 PM »
Great to know you're happy with yours Grace. Will have to see how I get on with it but I can't wait now :)

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 05:06:40 PM »
I don't have this model but I do have an older Nikon DSLR and I absolutely love it.  :luv: :luv:
My advice is to read Nicola's articles about photographing dogs and do try the other settings.
You may feel more comfortable using the auto mode to begin with, but after the first day I was experimenting with the different modes and luckily with digital, it doesn't cost anything.  ;)
Have a great time with your camera and take lots of photos, you may have to delete loads to begin with but that doesn't matter as when you get that 'great' one, it will be worth it.  :D
Look forward to seeing your efforts on the forum.  :D
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 07:11:37 PM »
Hi Vixen...I have already read Nicola's thread on dog photography and it is absolutely brilliant. Hope I do manage to get some good shots. I used to have a (non-digital) SLR and got quite into it for a while so I do have some idea about the manual settings and I just can't wait to have a play around with it. Of course cameras have come on in leaps and bounds since my SLR days about 20 years ago and like you say it's all for free these days. Fingers crossed it all works out well :)

Offline Smokey 1

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 11:00:49 PM »
Have a google search for Ken Rockwell, He did an in depth article about the D3000. There are a load of tips on there for you to try. I bought a D5100 after using my sisters D3000 for a week, easy to use and easy to get your head around all the functions. Take loads of photos and keep learning what is best in different lighting situations, good luck

Smokey
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 12:19:08 PM »
Thanks Smokey - will do - if I can get photos half as good as the ones you take of Muswell and Syd I will be more than happy :)