Author Topic: Compact camera recommendations  (Read 3488 times)

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
Compact camera recommendations
« on: July 13, 2012, 08:55:29 PM »
Hi  :D

Any recommendations for a good quality and tough compact camera? I've been looking at the OLYMPUS Tough TG-820 but don't know if it would be a bit expensive for us (need to talk nicely to the OH  ph34r). Something to take nice landscape shots would be ideal.

Millie

Offline Rolo12

Re: Compact camera recommendations
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 11:04:04 AM »
I am also in need of camera recommendations! I want to start taking decent pics of Rolo and also i am setting up a new dog walking business so need to be able to take some good pics for the website!

Any help much appreciated!
Caz :)

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 11:43:36 AM »
I've got a Canon IXUS 95 is. I think that there is now a newer version, but the 95 is is still available. I am not a photographer and just needed a camera that I could just point and shoot, both indoors and out and it does an excellent job. Really pleased with it.

It's also tough. Ebony got hold of it when she was a puppy and chewed the lens cover and battery flap. I thought it was too damaged, so bought another and then tried to fix the old one. Got it working!!, it looks chewed but works.
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline jmanagh

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 03:25:05 PM »
I love my Panasonic Lumix, I'm about to upgrade to my 3rd one in time for the summer hols  :shades:

Mum also to Basil - Black show type DOB 31/03/2000 and Eddie - Brown and white sable Papillon DOB 01/01/2011

Offline Lily Pup

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 09:48:51 PM »
I've got a Fuji 550EXR and I think it's brill but depends on how much you want to spend - It cost £270  :o

The reason I got that one was because it has a good sports mode, for catching the pooches in action and it also has a multi burst which takes a sequence of piccies straight after each other.  It also has a 16x optical zoom so you don't loose quality when you use it.

Most of the pics I post on here are from it and I think it takes a brill piccie on automatic, it has presets for fireworks, snow, night scene, portrait, landscapes etc etc etc.  or if you're so inclined you can set it up manually too 

Can you tell I'm impressed with it  :luv: :luv:

Offline Rolo12

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 10:16:43 PM »
I was thinking of spending around 200 but but not sure if I can get anything decent for that?

Offline JohnMcL7

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 12:42:51 AM »
I was thinking of spending around 200 but but not sure if I can get anything decent for that?

Depends how much you're expecting to be able to get, I'd say that sort of money would get you a good compact camera so as long as you're not expecting to be able to take DSLR photos it should be good.  The Panasonic TZ25 compact superzoom comes to mind as this type of camera is popular and the slightly stripped down TZ25 offers better image quality than the more expensive TZ30:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DMC-TZ25EB-K-Compact-Camera-Optical/dp/B0073CD6AO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342308896&sr=8-1

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-zs15-tz25

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_ZS15_TZ25/

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 02:54:19 PM »
I have bought a Fuji Finepix F300 EXR today from Currys which was reduced to £99.98 (£50 off) .  It has a x15 Optical Zoom and the salesman did me a deal on a memory card and case.  Just got to suss out how to use it!!  I looked at the Lumix cameras, but I already have a little Finepix camera which has served me well over the years. 

Pat

Offline Chillis

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 03:49:03 PM »
I absolutely love Sony cyber shots, have had the slim ones & couldn't bear any others now  :005:
I've had three & out of them the TX9 is my favourite, they are so pretty too!

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 10:41:34 AM »
I have a Sony DSC-HX9V, absolutely love it, we were at our daughters graduation yesterday, at Bristol Cathedral and quite near the back, but took pictures of them all sat at the front, without using a flash and got some lovely clear pictures.

I've had a few Panasonics over the years, upgraded to the TZ20 from the TZ10 and it was absolute rubbish and has put me off buying a Panasonic ever again, which is a shame as the TZ10 is an excellent little camera too.

Offline jen1876

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 05:21:59 PM »
we recently bought a panasonic lumix tz19 which was on offer in currys and we love it (although we're not photography buffs!) it has a fab fast mode for taking pics of pets and children and so far the quality of photos has really impressed us.

Offline Rolo12

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 03:49:10 PM »
Just purcahsed the Nikon Coolpix S9200 so will let you know how we get on with it! It was on offer in Comet for £199!