Author Topic: Please help my Spaniel has been clipped!  (Read 4796 times)

Offline Bugsyboyo

Please help my Spaniel has been clipped!
« on: August 12, 2019, 05:12:40 PM »
My mother in law mistakenly (and very very very annoyingly) took our dog to the groomers and asked him to be clipped. It looks horrendous but more importantly I’m worried about how it will grow back. Can anyone give us any advice on how to make it grow back the way it should? I’ve read that there’s a very big possibility that it’ll never be the same.
Any advice is really welcome.
Thank you.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
Re: Please help my Spaniel has been clipped!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 09:23:41 PM »
My mother in law mistakenly (and very very very annoyingly) took our dog to the groomers and asked him to be clipped. It looks horrendous but more importantly I’m worried about how it will grow back. Can anyone give us any advice on how to make it grow back the way it should? I’ve read that there’s a very big possibility that it’ll never be the same.
Any advice is really welcome.
Thank you.

The only suggestion I have is to start giving your dog extra oils in their food.  You can also use coconut oil on his coat to help keep the fur separate.  Part of the problem as it grows back is that it can get very curly and grow like cotton wool - I’ve had to cut Pearls ears really short this evening for that reason.  She’s now 8 and had a very silky coat up to two years ago when she was clipped and has never been the same since.

How old is your dog and has it been neutered?  Both will make a difference to how his coat grows.

Offline Bugsyboyo

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 10:10:35 PM »
Thank you so much for answering.
He has been neutered and is almost 4.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 11:16:22 PM »
I would brush him daily and use one of the equine mane sprays to keep his fur from matting.  Once the feathers start coming back in, hand strip.

I would be alternating between devastated and furious, I feel your pain!

Really hope his coat comes back as it was,

Jayne

Offline Bugsyboyo

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 04:04:59 PM »
Thank you so much for you help. We will try your suggestions. And yep....those are the feelings!!! Thanks again.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 04:07:01 PM »
Bea has had a short clip all over a couple of times, usually as a result of having patches clipped to do a procedure, her coat has come back fine, she had a patch on her side that would stick out but then she needed another scan so was clipped again and its come back straight.

I think there is just no way of knowing until it starts to grow back, if you are going to add extra oils into the diet then I would build it up slowly, the pancreas can be a funny old thing in Cockers !

Offline Bugsyboyo

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 07:40:44 AM »
Thank you very much for you reply and advice.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 12:35:13 PM »
Our wcs Gemma has always been clipped and her fur has never altered condition. She is very fine haired. But I will add, she had never been clipped on her back as that hair never grows. It is the same length  now as it was 8 years ago
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Blondeduke

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2019, 03:46:51 PM »
Am certainly no expert but I asked my groomer re show clip after reading your post which some groomers offer but it is clipping. So by mistake as happened to your dog inadvertently the incorrect hairstyling may be done. I am now after trying handstripping for first  time under guidance of my groomer realise how time consuming it is particularly as my young 9 month old was shaggy dog & not all of it was ready to come out. It is quite a long process but it was eye opening and I realise how lucky I was that my last dog was lucky to get the traditional hand stripping done although in latter years I did get him clipped out. Huge difference & I did not appreciate the difference perhaps offered by groomers, just luckily my recommended groomer has interest in spaniels. I assumed a dog would be styled to its breed type,coat  & use? There is another groomer near me & all the dogs come out looking very smart but with same hair cut.  I hope you can rectify?