Author Topic: Challenging times!  (Read 958 times)

Offline siam

• Site Member
Challenging times!
« on: July 30, 2010, 02:02:40 PM »
I am new to having a show cocker spaniel, as my last boy was a a working one. I have been looking through past posts on the forum for tips on keeping on top of  Alfie's very plentiful coat. I am in awe of all the people who are making a great job of trimming and grooming their own cockers as I am struggling to give him a good brush/comb to get to the bottom of any matts. Today I had him on a short lead attached to the garden seat and was amazed at how much he could still move about. I had a supply of kibble to treat him, but he consistantly wanted to give me paws and bite the handle of the brush/comb when I tried to do his legs. I have taken him to be groomed twice (he's 10mths) and he is due a visit in 4 wks but his legs are so thick they need to be well brushed or he's going to have problems with matts. I see that a grooming table is suggested but wonder if that's a bit OTT as I'm not planning to clip him myself, as the groomer makes al ovely job of him, and groomed my previous cocker for 13years. However, if it will help solve some of the brushing problems I would happily get one.

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
Re: Challenging times!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 02:23:00 PM »
I used the ironing board for ages with Morgan before I decided to get a grooming table. Because the ironing board can be a bit wobbly, the dogs tend to stand rather still  ;) Someone suggested Primula cheese helps to keep them focused away from the brush handle too!
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 03:58:08 PM »
It should hopefully be easier if you can groom him on a table.  As Elaine mentioned some people do use the ironing board, although i've never tried this & use the grooming table.  :blink:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline Pop-Star

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 03:59:31 PM »
Poppy is much better on a table rather than on the ground, so I now groom her on the utility room worktop.
She still needs bribing with kibble, and tripe sticks when the going is partcularly tough  ph34r, and a second pair of hands is sometimes helpful too..

I have found that by grooming a little everyday she is getting better (slowly) and knots (and grass seeds) are not such a problem - just wish I'd done this at 8 weeks  ::)

I like the idea of the wobbly ironing board  :005: :005:
Janet & Poppy

Offline grracee

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 04:15:10 PM »
When I first got Charlie trying to brush him was really hard, he would wiggle & chew my hands and the brush! But I kept going & treating him when he behaved & he loves a brush now. I do find that it is so much easier having them on a table though, Charlie doesn't seem to want to move as much when he's up on a surface and seems to behave himself more. :005: Love to see some photos of your boy :luv: :shades:

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 05:49:07 PM »
Do you use a crate? If you have one put a piece of plyboard (B&Q will probably cut one to size for you) on top of the crate and then cover with a towel. It is lower than a table so not as comfortable on your back, but the dog is off the floor.  I have to say I have had cockers for 25 years and only bought a grooming table this year but I really don't know how I managed to do without it. I've found it invaluable to put the girls on it after each walk to search for the dreaded grass seeds  >:D and now Rosie who isn't partial to grooming doesn't run at the sight of the brush :D

I found the best bribe is lowfat Primula cheese, about the size of a pea works every now and then :D
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 06:16:30 PM »
Another fan of using the ironing board and primula here, one of the many fantastic tips I have had from COL as you can see Charlie loves it. I use the chairs st the end to sop it wobbling.

Offline siam

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 08:09:33 PM »
Thanks for all the helpful tips re grooming Alfie. Its good to know that many of you have been through similar experiences before making progress so I will persevere. I didn't have a crate for him and he is a bit scared of the ironing board when I take it out for ironing purposes so will see if I have any other suitable 'platform' for him before buying a grooming table. I can see it is something that I will have to build up to gradually with him.

Here Gracee are some pics of Alfie and there is a link to a compilation video of him that my son put together of him for the last link and also a series of pics limked together from 7wks to 8mths.

This is Alfie after a little gardening session.

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz62/siam17/CIMG0021.jpg
http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz62/siam17/DSC_2036.jpg
http://www.vimeo.com/13097328

Offline grracee

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 08:12:33 PM »
Oh, he is just gorgeous!! :luv: :luv: :luv: :luv: Great photos! :D :luv:

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 07:40:47 AM »
He is beautiful, love all his fluff  :luv:

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 08:37:45 AM »
Oh he is a little darling, those eyes could melt ice.. he looks a bit like Selby. but obviously better behaved we cant get near selby with a brush, he bites and wriggles so we have to put a muzzle on him. He is going to the groomers for the first time at the end of August.