Author Topic: Mental Stimulation for 9 week pup  (Read 1191 times)

Offline J@rvisCocker

Mental Stimulation for 9 week pup
« on: February 19, 2021, 09:27:42 AM »
Good morning all,

We have recently brought our little Jarvis Cocker (working cocker) into our home and he is amazing. Sleeping straight through in his crate with one little toilet break about 3am and he is leaning basic commands very well. We love him to bits.

My only small concern is separation anxiety. He is not showing major signs at the moment apart from a few barks when I need to go for a shower or leave the room and generally settles down pretty quickly in his pen or with a toy.

As I know mental stimulation is so important for cockers, I would like to know what everyone leaves them with to keep them occupied. I have tried a Kong with treats and dog peanut butter etc. but he hasn't grasped it yet which may be because he is so young? I have also tried a ball which you can put treats in and he sniffs but gives up almost instantly although he loves treats after a successful toilet or training!

I would love to know what everyone recommends in terms of mental stimulation when we leave the room?

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
Re: Mental Stimulation for 9 week pup
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 10:14:03 AM »
I wouldn’t use a ball that has treats inside, it’s a very quick way to teach a dog to chase!  That’s the last thing you want with a working cocker.....

At this age he should be sleeping around 18 hours a day.  Don’t worry about “mental stimulation” just yet, that’s needed once he’s around 9 months old.  Have short training sessions, 2-5 minutes of sit, or come here (That’s what is really meant by mental stimulation) use the time now to bond with him and get him into a routine.  Don’t call him to you if you’ve asked him to sit - always go back to him and praise him until he’s much older!   2 years on our youngest still looks to go back to bed after morning food / exercise and sleeps most of the morning, useful now I’m working from home!

The next phase for you is the bite inhibition stage - you may want to read up on “cockerdiles” on here.

Welcome to COL

Jayne

Offline J@rvisCocker

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 10:34:07 AM »
Thanks Jayne, much appreciated. He does sleep lots and we do like to do a little come/sit training in very short intervals followed a play and a cuddle.

I will look into that, thanks again.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 10:47:43 AM »
Hi and welcome (from another Jayne! ;) )
Just wondered which size Kong you‘ve given him? I had a small puppy kong for Humphrey when he was little, they‘re a bit softer. I used to put  a spoonful of either cream cheese or liver sausage inside and it was his bedtime treat for a long time, licking it seemed to calm him - a bit like a child with a dummy I suppose!  :lol2:
He sounds as if he‘s doing well so far, it makes everything SO much easier when they, and you,  ;) can sleep through! Look forward to hearing all about him!

Offline J@rvisCocker

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 11:01:21 AM »
Hi Jayne!

He is doing so well, I feel like a proud father lol... I have always had dogs such a golden retriever and a Jack Russell but I did lots of research and a cocker seems perfect for us and our active lifestyle.

I will look into the kong mentioned. I always try and tire him out before I need to leave him for 10 minutes for a wash but as time goes on and periods get longer I want to make sure he is happy :).

Thanks again!

Offline ClaireK

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 01:41:42 PM »
Hi there, I am by no means an experienced cocker or even dog owner as our boy is our first dog! He's a working cocker, 13 weeks and we've had him a month. In terms of mental stimulation we got him a snuffle mat which he LOVES and this tires him out quite a bit. It occupies him for quite a long time. He's also got a puppy puzzle thing from pets at home which he sussed immediately! Other than that he just sleeps at my feet/on me or goes in his pen or chews a toy. As he's our first dog I don't know whether we've just been really lucky and got a really easygoing puppy! He goes off lead with no probs, comes back when called, knows when to he gentle with our young child. He's a bit of a dream really! Enjoy your puppy!

Offline J@rvisCocker

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 04:43:43 PM »
Great, thanks Claire. I will have a look into the snuffle mat! He is great, I really cannot fault him (so far - long may it continue) but just want to keep him occupied and happy :).

Thanks all!