Author Topic: IS this fair  (Read 5617 times)

Offline cockerella

• Site Member
    • Kennel Cocker Rebel
Re: IS this fair
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2007, 09:25:06 PM »
Or call him Hook Line and Sinker...
Hope that was correct English, but anyway, you'll probably understand the idea..
Gro, Mazie Lucky and  Boogi
My Webpage: Cocker Rebel

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2007, 09:29:40 PM »
I'm sorry but  >:D >:D >:D

*IF* the breeder is telling the truth then the insurance policy would work out at £1825  per annum !  Now then there have been umpteen threads on here about insurance and I havent actually seen a premium as high as a 1/4 of that price - me thinks she is telling huge porkies.  In fact that figure is more than my household buildings, contents, car & pet insurance all together  >:(

Food - I would imagine on some days that I wouldnt eat £3.50's worth of food  :o now me being about 100 x bigger than a pup  ............  I would not be happy but there again, I presume that there is little that you can do  :-\

I do hope that this person isnt a COL member - if she is SHAME ON YOU  >:(

Offline jools

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2007, 09:37:26 PM »
I'm sorry but  >:D >:D >:D

*IF* the breeder is telling the truth then the insurance policy would work out at £1825  per annum !  Now then there have been umpteen threads on here about insurance and I havent actually seen a premium as high as a 1/4 of that price - me thinks she is telling huge porkies.  In fact that figure is more than my household buildings, contents, car & pet insurance all together  >:(

Food - I would imagine on some days that I wouldnt eat £3.50's worth of food  :o now me being about 100 x bigger than a pup  ............  I would not be happy but there again, I presume that there is little that you can do  :-\

I do hope that this person isnt a COL member - if she is SHAME ON YOU  >:(

Well said, Doll  ;)
With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2007, 09:54:09 PM »
Crikey, just seen this and echo the thoughts of us.  £700 and you didn't even get to pick the puppy!! plus the vacinnation costs plus £100.00 B+B.   Very expensive.   By the way, just curious, what puppy have you got, is a from a top show dog?

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2007, 11:53:18 PM »
Just a thought but, you don't think she's hoping that you would drop out so that she keeps the deposit and can then sell the poor wee thing again?  Or she's sold him twice and needs one buyer to go?

Seems VERY expensive and unfair terms but other than walking away, don't know what you can do.

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2007, 12:10:32 AM »
Personally if you want your puppy I wouldn't broach anything that's been discussed on here until you have him home, she would still be within her rights to keep him and I wouldn't want anything to go wrong at this late stage, especially when you go to pick him up. Once you've got him home maybe write a diplomatic letter? and also speak or send a copy of the letter to the WOE Cocker Club secretary?

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2007, 03:26:34 AM »
put it bluntly your being ripped off, I hope for the price of the pup she's been optigen tested or something of the like from parents that are champions and hips scored, optigen tested, DNA profiled, etc etc etc....I'd want an awful lot for that amount of money for a cocker.  I know some working breeders charge up to a £1000 for a pup from some litters that are sought after but to be honest I think thats taking the p*ss a bit too.

Personally I think its fair for a breeder to ask for a reasonable deposit as so many people say they want a pu and then change their mind at the last minute but its not reasonable to charge so much money for a puppy and she should have asked you about insurance.  If they have been healthy up and until now then unless there is a problem I see no reason for the pup to be insured especially when there is a six week free insurance available through both the kennel club and pet plan as well as other companies. 

I would ask for receipts from both the vet and for the food that has been purchased to feed your puppy.  Even on Barf I don't pay that much and my sack of burns costs me about £40 and lasts me a month with six dogs.  If you didn't agree to pay the insurance then really the breeder has no right to ask you for the funds.  I would also want to see the paperwork for the insurance and the premium charged.

Why not ask the club for their advice as they recommended your breeder.

Offline Doggone Mad

• Site Member
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2007, 08:28:52 AM »
Personally I would always want to choose the pup, not just be told this is the one I've chosen for you, however good the breeder.  The excess payment re food etc seems excessively steep.  I was the first to buy one of the three pups available from the litter Hamish came from, but wasn't able to pick him up until 13 weeks old - they didn't add on anything extra for this from the price given the first day I saw him.  They must be feeding the pups on caviar at that price !

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2007, 08:58:34 AM »
I can see that there is not a lot you can do now as you really want that pup and you have already shelled out too but this woman is being very greedy - this sort of thing gives breeders a bad name  >:(  I hope the pup's parents are champions at least  :shades:

Personally though I would definitely write her a letter once you have your pup home and if the breeder is KC registered, I would write to them too - this is not the sort of way a good and responsible breeder would behave.  The money seems to be the most important thing to her and she is deffo ripping you off on the price of the insurance and food  >:D
Julie and Watson

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2007, 09:25:06 AM »
Personally I would always want to choose the pup, not just be told this is the one I've chosen for you, however good the breeder. 

Actually some good breeders do often try to match up pups to each individual family. Also most reputable breeders will be looking to keep at least one pup themselves (otherwise, why breed?), so it would be unusual for a buyer to have complete freedom to choose whichever pup they like. Also if the breeder has a waiting list, it would be normal practice for first on the list to choose first (if there is a choice) and so on down the line. The fact that Neil couldn't choose his puppy doesn't mean this breeder isn't a good breeder but like everyone else, I think the extra costs being asked for are rather high.

As I'm on the committee of the Club which recommended this breeder (I don't know who it is before anyone asks :D), I have already offered to help Neil with advice and that offer still stands. I agree that it would be better not to say anything further to the breeder at this stage but a letter to the Club Secretary sent after puppy comes home would be a good idea.

Jane

Offline hle

• Site Member
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2007, 07:59:40 AM »
This seems a little unfair. We paid £600 which we thought was fair considering he had a good pedigree and had all the DNA tests. We were never asked to cover any other costs and he came to us fully wormed and vaccinated they even gave us a months supply of his food to ensure we fed him correctly. Seems like your breeder was just out to make money from this and not to provide their pups with loving, caring homes.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2007, 09:06:20 AM »
Hope all goes well with your new pup - think you've been given some great advice, I would definately take up JaneS offer of help and information  ;)

Welcome to COL   :D looking forward to see pics of your new pup which has caused this long thread  ;)

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2007, 11:36:26 AM »
Personally I would always want to choose the pup, not just be told this is the one I've chosen for you, however good the breeder. 

Actually some good breeders do often try to match up pups to each individual family. Also most reputable breeders will be looking to keep at least one pup themselves (otherwise, why breed?), so it would be unusual for a buyer to have complete freedom to choose whichever pup they like. Also if the breeder has a waiting list, it would be normal practice for first on the list to choose first (if there is a choice) and so on down the line. The fact that Neil couldn't choose his puppy doesn't mean this breeder isn't a good breeder but like everyone else, I think the extra costs being asked for are rather high.

As I'm on the committee of the Club which recommended this breeder (I don't know who it is before anyone asks :D), I have already offered to help Neil with advice and that offer still stands. I agree that it would be better not to say anything further to the breeder at this stage but a letter to the Club Secretary sent after puppy comes home would be a good idea.

Neil - I would take up Jane's very kind offer.  Personally, I think that you are in a lose lose situation and you are unlikely to be able to do anything until you have the pup - unless of course you make the wrenching decision to walk away  :-\ 

The concensus (sp) of opinion for all posters is that this lady is out of order  >:(  Hopefully Jane & the Breed club may be able to stop matters like this occurring in the future.

Good luck with the pup, cant wait to see the photos  :luv:

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2007, 11:51:48 AM »
I've only just seen this and think you are being taken for a bit of a ride - As already mentioned, that pup is at the very top of the price range anyway and it's ONLY 2 weeks.. the lady I got my current pup from (who wasn't as much as yours and comes from proven show lines with health tests etc) would have kept him longer with no extra costs and also said she'd take him back for 2 weeks FOC if we went on holiday over the summer etc.. Her interests were in the dogs having good homes and once she'd found good homes, she wanted to make sure things were as easy for pup and new owners as poss.

I know a lot goes into breeding good pup's but this one is beginning to sound like a financial penalty on a house completion... if you weren't buying it would she be able to charge nearly £900 to the next person that saw it because it's 10 weeks old? If she still has it when it's 15 weeks old, someone will need to take a mortgage out to buy it buy the sounds of things ::)  It's a little soul that's being looked after here, but it sounds like she's treating it as a rental income IMO...  >:D

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2007, 01:29:44 PM »
 >:D >:D >:D :o

Have to admit to knowing very little about the world of Dogs and Dog brreding but these costs etc seem very high. We got our boy a couple of weeks ago and the breeder keep him for an extra two weeks at no extra cost-sent us home with several days worth of food and a contact details for a very reputable local vet who had already looked the pups over and suggestions for alternative pet insurance companies if we didnt want to go with pet plan. All in all couldnt have been luckier with our choice of pup and breeder, but even with all the extra costs you are in for a great time with your new arrival and I cant wait to see some pics on the site. Welcome to COL- everyone here has been great with us and our new bundle of joy! the hints and tips have been invaluable.
Lisa and Fred
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce