Author Topic: Hyperactivity  (Read 1476 times)

Offline pwhite48

• Site Member
Hyperactivity
« on: January 21, 2004, 10:56:57 PM »
Hi everyone

I am right in thinking that too much protein can make dogs hyper?

We gave Honey a small amount of the green tripe (comes frozen from Pets at Home) mixed in with her JWB (which we gave her less than usual of) and she loved it - scoffed the lot :roll:

But since eating it, tonight she has gone CRAZY :twisted:  Non stop tearing around, barking, tugging at our trouser legs etc etc.  I tried giving her time out but when she was allowed back in the room, she was just as mad as before.  She also seems to have done twice the amount of wees than normal, and has had a few accidents tonight which is unusual as she's normally quite good.

She finally settled and has crashed out in her crate.  This should mean she'll sleep well tonight :wink:

DO you think it was the tripe that did it - or was it just a typical cocker mad moment :shock:

All the best
Phil                    
All the best
Phil

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Hyperactivity
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2004, 10:41:47 AM »
Hi Phil

Has Honey calmed down a bit today ?   I'm afriad I have no idea about protein levels etc but my inexpert guess is that  she just decided to be daft for the evening. They can turn into crazed loons sometimes at Honey's age. :lol: Maybe she thought that was the way to show her appreciation for a tasty meal. :lol:

That green tripe sounds really disgusting ........ Butchers Tripe is vile enough and it's not even green. Then again, the more disgusting the better for our canine friends it seems. :roll:

Jimmy always goes a bit mad after being wormed, I don't suppose you wormed Honey yesterday did you ?                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Hyperactivity
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2004, 11:16:18 AM »
I think Colin's probably right :) If you only added a little bit of tripe to taste the JWB up a bit, then its very unlikely to have had any affect on Honey's behaviour. You don't want to add much though - JWB is already quite high in protein. We have always fed our pups & adults with a complete food & tiny amount of green tripe mixed in & it works well for them -they are no madder than the average Cocker anyway :lol:                    
Jane

Offline pwhite48

• Site Member
Hyperactivity
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2004, 11:44:13 AM »
Hi Colin and Jane

Yes she's calmed back down again this morning - she must have just had an energy spurt.  I can't wait until I can take her out for walks so we can tire her out a bit!

Great photos Colin - that one in the seaweed looks lovely - bet they smelt fantastic!!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Phil                    
All the best
Phil

Offline Katherine

• Site Member
    • http://www.howellsdesign.co.uk/katherine//
Hyperactivity
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2004, 09:16:17 PM »
Hi Phil

I've had the same problem with Barnaby. We bought him some treats from pets at home including some chocolate biscuity bone thingys. He loves them but they drive him crazy.

Katherine                    
Katherine and Barnaby