Author Topic: many questions - sorry!  (Read 1593 times)

Offline picklesmum

• Site Member
many questions - sorry!
« on: January 26, 2004, 03:21:18 PM »
Hi everyone, we're still very new here and have loads of questions, so I hope you don't mind us asking them!
Firstly, I am not sure about worming. Pickle was wormed at 3,6,9 and 12 weeks, but I can't remember when the next session should be, and also thereafter how often it should take place. Any advice?
Secondly, we are able to go on our first proper walk tomorrow - hooray! Should we use his collar (which he is happy with and wears all the time) or his harness (which he's not too keen on, but at least he wont choke when he pulls!) Any thoughts?
Thirdly, does anyone have any advice on neutering? Pickle's breeder said it probably would not be necessary, as he's from a very good-natured stock, and should not be aggressive. But as the 'humping' has started already(!) I wondered what other people's thoughts were on this? We dont plan to show him, but I am a little worried about him becoming fat and curly if we get him snipped!
Finally, does anyone else have a cocker who when he has a drink, finishes by collecting a huge mouthful of water and then bumbles around the house slobbering it everywhere? Makes me laugh so much, but I just can't get his reasoning for doing this! Thank goodness for wipe-clean wooden floors!
Love Emma and Pickle xx                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
many questions - sorry!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2004, 05:26:12 PM »
Finally, does anyone else have a cocker who when he has a drink, finishes by collecting a huge mouthful of water and then bumbles around the house slobbering it everywhere?

YES!!! Vegas leaves a trail of water whenever hes finished a drink :lol:  At least it's made sure that I dont walk round the house without slippers on now :wink:

Back to your questions. Pickle's worming regime should now be monthly until 6 months old and then every three months thereafter.

I would probably be inclined to just use his collar when you go out for your first walk and try and train him to walk to heel - the earlier the better, trust me :roll:

As for the neutering, I would play it by ear. Theres a FAQ on this subject which you can read through and see what you think. I wouldn't worry about the humping though - Dallas was humping Vegas's head the day we brought him home at 11 weeks :lol:  He doesn't do it nearly so much now. Brook is my 11 year old boy and he still humps my leg and Dallas :shock:  when he gets excited and he had the snip about 10 years ago :roll:                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline picklesmum

• Site Member
many questions - sorry!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2004, 06:01:38 PM »
Thanks for this Gill - I love this site, as people are so helpful. I hope one day when Pickle is grown up, we'll be able to help and advise other people too.
We live in St Andrews, so are just across the water from you. I wonder if you could help me with something else - we cant seem to find any puppy classes over here, and wonder if you know of any over your way? Pickle is 13 weeks now, so I feel some training should begin soon!
Pickle sends love and slobbers to Vegas, who sounds like his kinda guy!
Emma and Pickle xx                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
many questions - sorry!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2004, 09:20:36 PM »
Of course, our training class is great :wink:  but I'll look out some numbers and pm you.                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline milo's mum

• Site Member
    • http://www.pearshape.co.uk
many questions - sorry!
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2004, 09:24:04 PM »
Thanks for asking about worming. Milo's 6 months old and I was wondering when we should put him onto a 3 month program.

Jacke and Milo.                    
Jackie, Steve and Milo.

Offline Laura

• Site Member
many questions - sorry!
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2004, 05:20:05 PM »
that has cleared up my question about timings of worming as well....thank you!  Somone else in my neck of the woods!  Can't believe how many of us live so close - I also live near St Andrews!                    
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09