Author Topic: Parvo warning from my vet  (Read 1615 times)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Parvo warning from my vet
« on: January 29, 2004, 10:42:15 AM »
Indie went for his check up today, after being ill, and my vet advised me to stop training classes for the time being. He said the icy weather was good for keeping the virus down, but not to take him anywhere he could meet a lot of dogs at once. They're only taking emergencies at the vets, and have cancelled scheduled operations, as they have dogs on drips fighting this. Apparently they are fully grown, a rottweiler and a dalmation, bless them.

He said he wasn't taking his own (2yo) dog to classes for the time being, and advised me not to either. Just keep an eye on your dogs for any signs of illness, I was so scared when Indie was ill the other day, he says that's when parvo can happen, as their immune system is lowered by any other illness they may have, so be vigilant.

Shona                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline PennyB

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2004, 04:58:31 PM »
Interesting as our vets never said this here and we're in a parvo area, but then there is also that other virus that's very similar to parvo (HGE).                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2004, 05:47:20 PM »
Interesting as our vets never said this here and we're in a parvo area, but then there is also that other virus that's very similar to parvo (HGE).

I'm sure it's very varied region to region, the vet specifically said parvo though.                    

Offline PennyB

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2004, 10:54:48 AM »
The clinical signs of both diseases are very similar (blood in poo or vomit, dehydration etc.) and a lot of vets base both assumptions on the clinical signs as they know they have to act quickly, and treatment is more or less the same. Both can hit animals that have been vaccinated, but of course those that have been vaccinated against parvo are less likely to get parvo. None of the vets in Cardiff have suggested stopping normal activities with our dogs even though we have both (although the vets just say we're in a parvo area).

I have a friend who lived in between dogs who died quite suddenly from similar illnesses and she had a young pup and another young dog who are thriving.                    
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2004, 06:22:08 PM »
I'm simply repeating what my vet said.

I'm not sure of the treatment protocols for either of those diseases, but he specifically said he had 2 fully grown dogs suffering from parvo. He's a highly recommended local vet, and has given a friend similar advice.

If I didn't trust him, I wouldn't use him.

I really don't understand the relevance of whether it's one disease or the other? Dogs are catching something that's transmitted, and are becoming ill as a result.

:(                    

Offline PennyB

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2004, 09:22:04 PM »
Basically, its a minefield out there anyway. My pup wouldn't have got socialized at all over the summer or even walked, what with parvo and HGE there were also a lot of leptospirosis cases here (not just confined to dogs swimming in the river as no doubt rats were probably more in abundance all over peeing all over the place).                    
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2004, 01:09:59 PM »
Yes, it does seem to be a minefield out there at the moment. I was passing on this info though, in case there were others like me who had an ill puppy with compromised immune system.

My boy has been to the park as usual, but won't be among those at training classes, as per my vets advice. He's been ill already, I don't want to take risks that my vet feels are inadviseable.