Author Topic: Should we get a Harness?  (Read 1699 times)

Offline Katherine

• Site Member
    • http://www.howellsdesign.co.uk/katherine//
Should we get a Harness?
« on: January 31, 2004, 06:40:31 PM »
We popped into Pets@home today and saw a women with a scottie dog about the same age as Barnaby, It was wearing a harness. We are not sure whether to get one. Is it better for them or shouldn't we bother. :?

Katherine                    
Katherine and Barnaby

Offline T

• Site Member
Should we get a Harness?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2004, 06:51:05 PM »
We've had Charlie-Spud in a harness since he was a small pup ... obviously had to buy him a bigger-lardy-ass one now he's 11 months!!  :wink:

We picked a harness because we didn't like the idea of him pulling on the lead connected to his collar thinking of the pressure this causes on the windpipe. But then if he walked to heel correctly all the time this wouldn't be a problem!  :oops:

We have been told recently that a harness encourages them to pull as it's the thing to put on a horse for a horse and cart ... and makes them stronger pulling! Maybe this has been our problem !?!  :?                    
Charlie-Spud 'ere, oh and this little fella Frisbee!

Offline Katherine

• Site Member
Should we get a Harness?
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2004, 07:00:27 PM »
If we did give him a harness wouldn't it jerk his head around alot, which could hert his neck?

Katherine                    
Katherine and Barnaby

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Should we get a Harness?
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2004, 07:27:21 PM »
The answer is early dedicated training so they don't pull from the off. It's never too early to start lead training your puppy, even if they can't go on the street yet. Spend time now on heel work and basic commands and it will pay dividends.

As soon as he's vaccinated, get to some good puppy/dog training classes. If you put the effort in now you won't have to think about a harness or collar, you'll be able to use whichever you prefer. Personally, on a cocker, I prefer a collar as a harness can knot up the coat under the arm pits, but for some, and one of mine is one, a harness is the only way to stop them choking themselves.

hth                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline T

• Site Member
Should we get a Harness?
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2004, 07:41:29 PM »
:?  Urmmm   :?   Soz ... CS's harness is a body one ... didn't realise ya meant a head one ...that'll be a Halti collar then. And these are said to work the same way as a horses head collar and s'pose to make walking easier and safer, controlling boisterous bahaviour as well ... just like the body one ... Mmmm ... we must have a defunct one!  :wink:

But yeah, definately do the training early as suggested ... we started in the house & garden before the big-wide-world ... which did work ... but we then got lapse!  :oops:  He's getting back on track now, but it has been harder! The problem's been since being off the lead in the open spaces, he much prefers it so pulls to get to them as he knows where he's going!!                    
Charlie-Spud 'ere, oh and this little fella Frisbee!

lynseyloo

Should we get a Harness?
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2004, 02:04:03 PM »
Jessie has a halti..and I swear by it..she walks great with it.. although at first they do the rubbin their head on the floor to get it off trick..  I ahve bought an aditional safety strap aswell which attached to the collar just incase she slips the halti..shes still secure..  :wink:

I now also have a duo lead suitable for walking both dogs.. as they walk together but I couldn't find a lead suitable for a tiny dog and a cocker..so the kind people on dogpages TRPD made one for me..  :D                    

Offline Katherine

• Site Member
Should we get a Harness?
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2004, 02:19:18 PM »
I don't no what to get a body one or a head one. I'v seen the body ones and they look a bit more secure. Mabey he could have a harness while we are training him and then when he walks at heel we could swap :?

Katherine                    
Katherine and Barnaby