Author Topic: Cat attack!  (Read 1813 times)

Offline Katherine

• Site Member
    • http://www.howellsdesign.co.uk/katherine//
Cat attack!
« on: January 31, 2004, 07:08:58 PM »
My large orange cat, Tom, attacked little Barnaby! He swiped him in the eye and we had to take him to the vet but it is healing now. We hadn't had too many problems before, they just kept staring at eachother, but Barnaby, a bit more adventurous now keeps bounding towards the cat. Tom doesn't like this at all and claws in self defence, even though he's about 5 times the size of Barnaby. Its very hard to keep them apart so we hope soon they will just except eachother.

Katherine                    
Katherine and Barnaby

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Cat attack!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2004, 07:23:52 PM »
Hi Katherine. I don't think you have too much to worry about here. Either Barnaby will learn his lesson and steer well clear of Tom, or Tom will realise Barnaby's going to get bigger and keep out if his way. I know the way may money would for who would win :wink:

Cats and dogs can and do get on very well, especially when the cat was there first. As long as Tom fights back, not too violently of course, but enough to tell Barnaby to back off, I think they'll be OK. But I would make sure that Tom does have some Barnaby free space, as Barnaby has intruded on his territory and a bouncy lively puppy can be a tad overwhelming for many other animals - and humans too :D

hth.                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline pwhite48

• Site Member
Cat attack!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2004, 02:02:41 PM »
Hi Kathryn

We have just the same in our house.  Rosie is our 4 year old moggy, and at first she was well put out when Honey came to stay :evil:

She will now 'tolerate' Honey, but has taken a swipe at her a couple of times to show her who's boss.  Rosie will also now be braver, and venture into 'Honey-territory' now again.

It's hilarious to watch them have conversations with each other.  Rosie will hiss and make that really low miaow from the back of her throat, whilst Honey will bark, lick and waggle her tiny tail :lol:  :lol:                    
All the best
Phil

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
Cat attack!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2004, 09:33:11 PM »
Hi there
We too have an old cat, Mylo a ten year old persian and a house cat. We have two puppies, a cocker and a westie both around 6 months old. It has taken about 4months but at last the cat comes and sees the dogs when he wants and has even jumped onto the sofa and sat next to them. The dogs are restricted from free run of the house by a gate but Mylo can go wherever he wants. There are still occassions where he bats them on the nose but they are beginning to get used to each other  :D
In Mylo's eyes everyone in the house is there to serve him and we all should feel honoured to be able to live with him  :wink:
Jane                    

Offline tittyfaloo

• Site Member
Cat attack!
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2004, 09:56:14 AM »
My cat Fred is 11 and has had a few swipes at Maggie when she has launched herself at him.
He just moves out of her way now and gets on the top of the chair wagging his tail as if to say "huh, you can't get me now!"
It is really funny watching Maggie do her best to "scare" him.                    
* KEEP SMILING *

Offline maureen

• Site Member
Cat attack!
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2004, 05:47:37 PM »
We have had Cooper for just over a week....we have had our cat for 6 years on her own so the arrival of Cooper is not too good. At first she ignored him, and he ignored her, but now Cooper wants to chase after her and I am so afraid as she could attack him and do him an injury, so I am keeping them separate and allowing her into the room with him when he is sleeping, but when both are awake, I am putting the cat on the stairs where he cannot reach her or in another part of the home with the door closed....should I just let them get on with it as I am really afraid the cat could really hurt Cooper and I am really worried what will happen in the summer when it is so hot that all doors and windows must be open as then I will no longer be able to keep them apart!!!                    

Offline Katherine

• Site Member
    • http://www.howellsdesign.co.uk/katherine//
Cat attack!
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2004, 04:56:39 PM »
Hers a pic of Tom and Barnaby now;

file:///Users/katherine/Pictures/Photos/iPhoto%20Library/2004/02/13/IMG_0020.JPG                    
Katherine and Barnaby

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Cat attack!
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2004, 05:00:16 PM »
can't see your photos katherine, don't know if its me.                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
Cat attack!
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2004, 05:49:12 PM »
Hi Katherine,

I cant seem to access your photo's either!! :?                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline maureen

• Site Member
Cat attack!
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2004, 06:11:39 PM »
:( I can't access your photos either....