Author Topic: new puppy  (Read 1466 times)

Offline claire1

• Site Member
new puppy
« on: February 02, 2004, 05:11:00 PM »
Hi there, I'm new to this site, but maybe some of you could give me a few tips. We're going to collect our cocker puppy in 2 weeks. He's called Fergal and he's gorgeous. Anyway, I have to admit to being a bit nervous about the big day..... how's the car journey.....will he like us......where should he sleep.......how long does it take for him to settle in......i've taken some time off work so he won't be by himself in the house for a while. If anyone could tell me what to expect or if you've got any useful tips they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Claire x                    

Offline Katherine

• Site Member
    • http://www.howellsdesign.co.uk/katherine//
new puppy
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2004, 06:06:52 PM »
Hi

We've only had our pup, Barnaby for a few weeks now so I'm not that experienced but I'v got a few tips. First of all, don't be nervous. We were nervous before hand and it all turned out fine. Puppies settle in very quickly and will be used to you within days.
Don't worry about the car journey either, we had a two hour car journey back and he slept all the way. He may vomit a bit as it'l be his first car journey but that would be expected. About the bed, its really your choice, if you have a safe room that you don't mind him having free run of, i'd just put him in there. If not you could buy a puppy play pen, which is like a cage with no top or bottom. He can go in there to sleep or to just have some quiet time.
I think that the hardest thing is stopping them weeing on the floor.
Some people say that you should teach him to wee on the newspaper first and then try to get him out into the garden, but I suggest that you get him to wee outside from the start, it saves time and he will learn quicker.
I reccomend this book; THE PERFECT PUPPY by Gwen Baily. Its a great guide and I swear by it.
Good luck and I hope it'l all work out. (Its great fun honest :wink:)

Katherine                    
Katherine and Barnaby

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
new puppy
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2004, 06:33:41 PM »
Hello Claire, welcome to COL.

There is so much information on here that will help you prepare and feel ready for Fergals arrival instead of nervous about it, so take some time browsing previous questions that have come up on the this puppy section and you won't feel so alien to it all.  There is also a Frequently Asked Questions' section which gives some great advice on toilet training/feeding etc.

As for the journey home, it probably will be his first car journey unless your breeder has prepared him a little already (my breeder had done a couple of very short journeys, a couple of puppies at a time in the week prior to collecting Lottie).  Lottie always travels in a crate in the car but her first journey home was in a cardboard box lined with newspaper and some vet bed given to me by her breeder which had the scent of her mother on for comfort.  So perhaps if you could ask your breeder for something like that.

Good luck :wink:                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Katherine

• Site Member
new puppy
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2004, 06:40:38 PM »
I had barnaby on my lap on the way home and he fell asleep instantly.
Before we picked him up we gave our breeder a blanket that she would give to the puppies and mother and then we picked it up when we got him. That did work and now he loves it.

Katherine                    
Katherine and Barnaby

Offline claire1

• Site Member
new puppy
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2004, 07:16:18 PM »
Katherine and Mary,

Thanks for your replies. I've had a browse though some of the advice on this site, which has been useful. I also think that giving the blanket to the breeder is a good idea. I think because we've been to see him a few times and that he is 6 weeks old is so exciting and you have time to get anxious about the whole thing. We've got a dining room that we don't really use so fergal can have free run of that. Thanks so much for your advice. I'll keep you posted, claire x                    

Offline Katherine

• Site Member
new puppy
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2004, 07:20:16 PM »
Yeah we used the dining room too.
Hope you have a great time!

Katherine                    
Katherine and Barnaby